light sources for charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions light sources for charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions light sources for charging

• light sources for charging

• Lane Costilow

August 15, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Aptera will be my first EV and I am also solar-ignorant. If I badly mismanage my energy and end up stranded in a brightly lit parking lot for the night, will the solar cells convert the artificial light to charge the battery?

• Vernon Michael Gardner

August 15, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Most likely you would call for a remote charger to come to where you are stranded. There are several mobile services out there. If you are not underground you could wait for the sun or if you are above ground you could always regenerate by going down the ramps.

• Joshua Rosen

August 16, 2022 at 1:51 am

Simple answer, don’t mismanage your energy. You can’t charge it from a lightbulb, the amount of energy is infinitesimal. Think about it, a LED bulb uses about 15W, at least half of that is thrown away as heat so let’s call it 7W worth of light. If we assume that all of that is within the spectrum that a solar cell can use then you still have to multiply by the efficiency of the solar cell which is 25-30% . Bottom line is that at most you’ll get a watt or two from the lights in the garage, probably less.

It’s not hard managing energy in an EV, in fact it’s much easier than in an ICEV. You keep the car plugged in at home so you always have a “full” battery (the full is in quotes because most of the time you set the full level down to 75-80% to protect the battery, if you have a road trip coming up you raise that level to 90%). When traveling you should always be aware of where the charging stations are. Tesla will do that for you and most other brands attempt to do the same thing, we don’t know if or how well Aptera will handle this problem. The best approach is to use A Better Route Planner to plan your trip.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Joshua Rosen.
    • Alain Chuzel

August 16, 2022 at 6:23 am

Very good answer to the question on can parking lot lights charge the battery! One thing that is interesting, however, is that it can be quite surprising at how much voltage is “generated” under low light conditions. Of course voltage, by itself, is not power.

• John Malcom

August 16, 2022 at 7:32 am

I think the best answer to that question is “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” Manage your energy to avoid that situation from happening. With the range options for Aptera, the expanding number of charging stations, and the many apps that can help you plan a trip or find a charging station near your vehicles location, it takes little to no effort to avoid such a situation.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now