Loading / Unloading wheel chair?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Loading / Unloading wheel chair?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Loading / Unloading wheel chair?

• Loading / Unloading wheel chair?

• Joe Lyddon

August 22, 2022 at 12:45 pm

With the wheel chair folded up, it is approx. 12″ high and weighs about 35-40 lbs.

It must be lifted and moved into the trunk.

In looking at the end of car, it looks like the opening is about ~12″ from the end. This is quite a distance to lift over to get into the trunk.

It might be easier to lift over the side into deeper area of trunk.

Using a heavy blanket over the car would have to be done to protect surface.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Suggestions? Even possible without breaking ones back?

Thank you!

• Len Nowak

August 22, 2022 at 6:36 pm

Well Aptera You Tube video on Debunking shows some typical larger items packed inside.

An old Pet Kit rendering shows what looks like a protective pad in that area.

I plan on trying to get my old 76# dog in the back by just flipping the seat forward to let her in and out. Not sure that is an option for you…

• kerbe2705

August 22, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Perhaps lifting it onto the tail upright and then “wheeling” it into the cargo bay before flipping it onto its side?

Trying to do a “dead lift” over the side of the vehicle – which is taller and wider than the tail – might be very difficult…

• Joe Lyddon

August 22, 2022 at 9:28 pm

That’s a good idea! Fold it… Load / wheel it… Lay it down… !!

With a good tough blanket for protection!

Thank you very much! You have made my day… perhaps, my purchase!

🙂

🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Joe Lyddon.
  • Joe Lyddon

August 22, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Don’t forget…. You will want to put that little ladder in there too!

🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Joe Lyddon.
  • Steve Wanamaker

August 22, 2022 at 10:40 pm

I had to load/unload a wheel chair in the back of a Toyota Sienna. I got used to a spin-hoist maneuver, but it was a real pain. I can’t imagine getting it in/out of the back of the Aptera because of the extra height and wider lip. Use a ramp? I wonder if you can find an ultra-light aluminum chair? I think a ramp would be the only way.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now