Local Pickup

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Local Pickup

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Local Pickup

• Local Pickup

• Constance Fry

June 21, 2022 at 4:13 pm

Will I have the option to pickup my Aptera locally when ready, in order to eliminate shipping costs and possibly receive sooner? Thank you.

• Len Nowak Nowak

June 21, 2022 at 4:22 pm

They had said it could be an option.

But it us too early for them to elaborate more

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• BRUCE MENGLER

June 21, 2022 at 4:52 pm

I want to watch my Aptera being assembled & record the process before driving it home.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 21, 2022 at 4:58 pm

Originally they indicated that there might be a discount for taking delivery at the factory.

• Dennis Swaney

June 21, 2022 at 7:01 pm

I opted for the 400 mile range and according to Google Maps, the distance from Aptera’s address in Carlsbad, CA to my address in Prescott, AZ varies from 370 miles to 406 miles and will take about 7 hrs. So it looks like I’d have to do the trip in two stages unless the solar panels would add sufficient charging in 7 hours.

• Rob Spruijt

June 21, 2022 at 9:50 pm

Much looking forward to picking it up in person and having the first drive with it back to LA.

• Dan Stevens

June 22, 2022 at 10:05 am

Realistically, based on other EV’s I’ve driven, at highway speeds, plan on at most 80% of rated range (same with gas cars, you just don’t pay as much attention). So, with a full charge at 70MPH or so, figure 320 miles of range more real world.

This means you’ll be about 100 miles short.

That means you’ll need to charge on a 50KW charger for about 10 minutes.

Which means, during your 7 hour drive, you will have time to make a pitstop for a bathroom break. If you want something to eat, you’ll have some extra charge to get you home.

Also, depending on time of year, you might be running the A/C pretty heavy heading through the desert to AZ. This could cost another 5% of range or so, meaning you might need to charge for 12 minutes.

• John Voules

June 22, 2022 at 5:52 pm

Dan, last year I heard Chris Say that the aerodynamics of the Aptera is deigned to cut through the air with the least of resistance. That includes 70 mph highway speeds. The vehicle will not have the same resistance as a normal vehicles drag, their expectation and range was based on highway speeds. Don’t expect a 20% loss.

• Dan Stevens

June 23, 2022 at 12:55 pm

Least wind resistance is not no wind resistance and the laws of physics still apply. The faster you go the more wind resistance you have.

I’m assuming the 400 mile range is based on something similar to how the EPA ratings are developed, which have an average of around 45 MPH or so, with various speed ups and slow downs.

Based on that, knowing that wind resistance still increases as velocity increases, I’m guessing that at 70 MPH average, you’ll probably see 80% of the full range. Your mileage may vary, but if I was planning a trip before I had an opportunity to really try it out, this is what I would use.

Actually, I would use 80% of 80% because you never want to hit 0% left as well, but that is a different subject…..

• John Voules

June 23, 2022 at 2:18 pm

Dan…their testing for the 400 mile range was conducted at average speed of 70 mph. The vehicle is designed to be as efficient as possible at highway speed. It may have been spring 2021 that Chris mentioned it. Unfortunately can’t locate it, can’t find in postings.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 23, 2022 at 2:55 pm

That would be huge to hit the range at that speed.

I think most people assume the numbers are for an EPA standard test. Looking at my physics calculations and the known details of the battery I needed to assume some extreme constants to achieve 400 miles.

– 200 lb lighter for the base weight than my general assumption and those by motormatchup

– 150 lb driver

– 0.007 Cdr (rolling resistance coefficient) – typical car is 0.01 and originally I used 0.0085

– 0.13 Cd (air drag) – due to the mirrors (thanks NHTSA) I have assumed 0.15 generally

• Dennis Swaney

June 23, 2022 at 4:16 pm

If you had read my post you would have seen I’ve already said it would take 2 stages due to the distance. Since on my long trips I usually take a 5 – 10 minute break every two hours, with the one at lunch time a little longer, my total travel time will be at least 8 hours and probably more with a charging stop. This is my probable route:

Leave Aptera in Carlsbad and go west to I-5 then south to I-805 to I-8.

Go east on I-8 to El Centro then take CA 111 & 115 north to CA 78 in Orita.

Go northeast on CA 78 to I-10 in Blythe. Head east on I-10 to US 60 in AZ.

Take US 60 northeast to Aguila, take AZ 71 northeast to AZ 89 in Congress

On AZ 89 continue northeast to Prescott.

The only problem will be finding an available charger in Blythe, CA or maybe Quartzsite, AZ

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Dennis Swaney. Reason: Emphasized "available"
    • BRUCE MENGLER

June 22, 2022 at 5:26 pm

There is a 62k CCS Charge Point charger in Blythe just off the I-10 adjacent to a Denney’s

• Dennis Swaney

June 23, 2022 at 4:18 pm

The question is: will it be available?

• Francis Giroux

June 24, 2022 at 7:00 pm

Dennis, top off your battery and drive 50 mph and you should easily make it. Then again if you are driving in the summer, don’t use the air conditioning.

• Hee-Choon Lee

June 22, 2022 at 1:54 am

I asked for local pick up even though I live in Georgia. I have family in SoCal that I want to introduce (show off) my Aptera to. Audra replied, “.We can’t wait! That’s a brilliant plan, and we’d love to have you take delivery at the facility. I’ve made a note of this in our system. And we look forward to the adventures you and your Aptera will go on, and for your family to meet your solar electric “dream machine”.” 😀

• James Gatan

June 22, 2022 at 7:08 am

Hmmm..I’d probably take the train from LA (Union Station) to San Diego via Pacific Surfliner. Then to Oceanside Transit Ctr, leading to the Carlsbad facility for pick up. In between, I’ll be riding my portable 16X EUC.

• Jon Arryn

June 22, 2022 at 9:55 am

I posed this question to Aptera over a year ago. According to them at the time, I would have to pay Cali registration fees in order to drive it anywhere in California, even if just across a border. In my case AZ. That makes sense legally.

• Dennis Swaney

June 22, 2022 at 7:50 pm

California does have temporary permits for picking up a vehicle in CA and taking it out-of-state.

• Roger Tocchetto Tocchetto

June 22, 2022 at 10:03 am

Wow what a great idea! This will make a very fun trip for me. Almost 1,600 miles to Houston, probably 4 days trip. Looking forward to it

• James Gatan

June 22, 2022 at 10:46 am

1,600mi..

Range Test!!

• Matthew Kearns

June 22, 2022 at 11:37 am

I’m hoping I can fly (one-way) to San Diego and drive back to Sacramento area ~500 miles. One pitstop for 30 min should give me enough juice to get back home.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 22, 2022 at 12:30 pm

I was thinking that pitstop might be before the Gorman Pass, depending on how much extra juice the climb will consume.

• Dennis Swaney

June 22, 2022 at 5:00 pm

Actually the name is Tejon Pass (previously known as Portezuelo de Cortes, Portezuela de Castac, and Fort Tejon Pass) a.k.a. “The Grapevine”. Gorman is the small community at the southern base. I once drove over it in a December snowstorm.

• Riley ________________________________

June 22, 2022 at 4:35 pm

Every time I take my tesla up from LA I stop at Harris ranch 285 miles from the Carlsbad facility, that stop has both potential charging connectors and is right next to Interstate 5.

One way is 471 miles, wonder how possible it would be to try and hypermile the Aptera to stretch it an additional 71 miles.

• Christopher Thwing

June 27, 2022 at 9:22 am

In Sacramento as well. I’ve been considering driving down in my 1st gen Insight just to compare the two on the drive, but I’m not sure how my spouse would feel driving the 22 year old Honda back, and not sure I’d want to make anyone do that 🤣

• BRUCE MENGLER

June 27, 2022 at 10:32 am

If so inclined, you could sell it to the San Diego CarMax dealer

• Christopher Thwing

June 27, 2022 at 11:24 am

There’s a nationally known 1st Gen Insight shop not too far from there as well. Maybe I should plan a vacation in the area and have them go through it. The Insight is a pretty good car. I’m not opposed to keeping it, or passing it along to a friend or family member.

Oh! Maybe I’ll work that into it. Whoever it goes to, drives me to get the Aptera 🤔

• Mack K

June 22, 2022 at 8:46 pm

I hope so. I live 5 miles away. Currently pay about $400/month on gas for my daily commute.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 22, 2022 at 9:55 pm

Yikes. That’s a nasty commute. What like 150+ miles per day? That justifyies an ev in fuel savings alone.

Working from home has been amazing for my sanity (and my dogs); tons of wasted time saved.

• Mack K

June 22, 2022 at 10:37 pm

Sadly it is only about 50-60 miles round trip to work and back. My current car requires premium gas and only gets 20 mpg. Premium gas in San Diego is nearing $7/gallon. And electricity is near 40c/kwh. So something that can charge off the sun would be a huge cost savings.

• Riley ________________________________

June 23, 2022 at 12:49 am

I’ve got a 40 mile round trip in a model 3 with the same cost of electricity 40c/kWh and I pay. $125 a month. With an aptera and the nice sunny California weather that should be reduced to almost $0.

• John Abbott

June 23, 2022 at 6:39 am

I live just 4 miles from the Carlsbad facility, in fact I drive by about 4-5 times a week. If they want someone local to pick up an early unit, add me to the list. I have a reservation in place for a 400 mi unit, so I believe that is what they will be targeting first.

• Francis Giroux

June 24, 2022 at 7:16 pm

I live in Upstate New York, 100 miles from Canada, My son lives in San Francisco area. I plan on driving home from the factory by way of my son’s house, with either my 400 mile Noir or my 250 mile Luna, maybe both, 3500 mile trip.

• Lisa Hillard

June 26, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Hey Neighbor! I’m in NY’s North Country (along the St Lawrence).

I was thinking about local pick-up with a cross-country jaunt too. After the last couple of years, I could use a fun adventure.

• Robert Keith Harrigan

June 25, 2022 at 8:11 am

I am in SW Florida and would prefer local pick up as long as California has temporary registration. My wife and I would fly to California and take ground transportation to facility. Ordered on 01/11/2021: Sol, codex, 400 mile, 2WD and full solar. We would enjoy a quick peak at manufacturing facility at pick up but will understand if it’s too early for that.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 25, 2022 at 1:32 pm

You may want to relay your preference through the “Communications” menu item as this forum is not continually monitored by Aptera resources. by using the email communication it will go directly to an Aptera Customer Support Person and you will get a written response.

I live in COCO Beach and will request a local CA delivery as well and enjoy the trip back to FL

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 25, 2022 at 2:13 pm

Jonah,

Just to make sure I’m not missing something, are you referring to the “Contact Us” tab? I’ve never seen a “Communications” menu.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 25, 2022 at 3:56 pm

Yes, sorry for the misnomer

Viewing 1 - 14 of 14 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now