Muscle cars your Aptera will beat 0-60

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Muscle cars your Aptera will beat 0-60

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Muscle cars your Aptera will beat 0-60

• Muscle cars your Aptera will beat 0-60

• Fanfare 100

October 14, 2021 at 9:08 pm
  • Henry Kitt

October 15, 2021 at 7:35 am

Aptera can be considered a supercar in that regard. In general its 0-60 is better than most supercars of the past, and faster than most present ones if it really is under 3 seconds.

The cheapest car that beats the Aptera is probably the Corvette C8, which will by going up in price they’ve said but is already 2x the price of an Aptera.

The butterfly doors also lend to the supercar feel. 0-60 is what matters, or is cool, in real everyday driving, not top speed.

• Joshua Rosen

October 15, 2021 at 8:36 am

It’s not a race car, it has a top speed of only 110 MPH so it won’t beat anything on a track. I have zero interest in a muscle car, what I’m hoping for is that it’s nimble and has good handling, a modern MGB not a modern Roadrunner. I want to take it over Vermont mountain roads at 40MPH, as far as 0-60 is concerned anything better than 7 seconds is fine. The Leno video was not encouraging but that was the Alpha, the beta will have a Roush suspension so I’m hoping for much better.

• Ray Holan

October 15, 2021 at 10:15 am

Hey there, fanfare. Got a kick out of the list. While the low 0-60 time of the Aptera is not the most compelling feature that sold me on buying one, it is one of the standard questions that will probably be asked by people even remotely curious about Aptera.

What’s it cost? How fast is it (both top speed and o-60)? How far on a charge? What happens when an SUV hits you? These are to be anticipated. There’s a certain wow factor about an EV that can beat the 0-60 time of much more expensive ICE cars. Let’s not forget the safety benefit of being able to get out of someone else’s way in a hurry. It’s not just about testosterone-infused bragging rights. Not that I have anything against anyone who’s into hotrods.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

February 5, 2022 at 6:07 am

if remove wheel cover, can install grippier wider tire for customers who want to take advantage of the low weight for this kind of stuff. but the experiments needs to be done by somone, maybe a youtuber customer (they need novel content) so others who care about it would consider aptera for this kind of use, plus the different appearance of car etc.

• Mark Noon

May 10, 2022 at 3:00 pm

You can’t the motor is in the wheel…I’m wondering how it’ll survive when you hit pot holes at 40 mph? I imagine it won’t be as easy as replacing a tire and bend rims…Maybe this is the reason why no EV company has made the motor on the wheel? plus ppl like to put their own rims and not pay $ when a wheel is damaged?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Mark Noon.
      • John Malcom

May 10, 2022 at 4:14 pm

The motor is in the wheel not the rim that the tire is mounted on. You can easily take the rim/tire off and mount a different tire that would fit on the rim and under the wheel/tire boots. This is not a good idea as the Aptera systems are adjusted to a specific tire size.

It will survive as well as any other tire/wheel under the conditions you state.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  John Malcom. Reason: added sentence
      • George Hughes

May 10, 2022 at 8:37 pm

Mark Noon: You’re idea of in-wheel motors is difficult to square with reality. The wheels and tires attach to the in-wheel motor in the same way an ICE vehicle’s wheels bolt to the brake rotor. Indeed, the IWMotors incorporate a disc brake in addition to its motor.

Hence, if you remove the wheel pants and have a 40″ balloon tires and wheels bolted into place and a way to float the rear maybe with a hydrofoil, the Aptera would probably perform like the ‘skeeter’ bug some other poster here compared it to.

This may be waaaay off, but I figure if the front wheels were as large as I imagine, they’d give this mega-wheeled, water-adapted Aptera a theoretical top speed of about 300 mph.

While I’m quick to admit this sounds silly on first blush, I consider Aptera a lot closer to being a successful “amphicar” than the steel-bodied, Amphicar of which you had to lube in 13 places after each excursion into the water.

The Aptera weighs less and adding larger wheels and tires seems quite feasible. A clever, even elegant design of an extensible hydrofoil or pontoon from the rear of the Aptera is the primary challenge. As far as the initial inspiration, just know I spent my first 18 years living a mile from the muddy Mississippi and, well, paddle wheels come with that territory.

But, back to the original point … the in wheel motors are more analogous to the disk brake rotor than to the wheel and tire that, just like an ICE vehicle, attaches to the lugs on the rotor.

I didn’t realize when I finished writing my response that the original topic was the reaction to the fact the Aptera’s stats are those of a high-performance car. Anyway, I’ve run across youtubes of folks who compiled lists like the top ten fastest muscle cars of 1969 and ’70 – the literal hay day of that genre when the hemi’s battled the 427’s and 454’s in mid-sized multi-carb’d, manually shifted Deeetroit Iron … and the fastest in the quarter mile was like 13.4 at 108 mph … and the projections for the Aptera are 11.5 at 110, the Aptera having reached terminal speed in the eighth of mile.

Amongst our more mature compatriots, I think the simple knowledge that our Aptera is hotter than the hottest stock hot rod we could have bought back in the day when we couldn’t afford the insurance for such a vehicle.

But what will please me most is that while the hot rodder would burn at least a dollar’s worth of fuel in that quarter-mile (at today’s prices) while my Aptera, might, at most, use a quarter of a kilowatt, which at my overnight rate, two-cents.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  George Hughes.
  • Pete M

February 5, 2022 at 11:43 am

There is a big difference between written performance estimates and real-world performance.

Aptera can’t beat anything until it is actually being produced.

• Curtis Cibinel

February 5, 2022 at 1:34 pm

More important in the real world is the moose test speed (iso double lane change). They haven’t said anything and are still working on it but by analyzing the video (at 1/4 speed) and test specs it looks like they have beta doing the test at 45 mph (72 kph). This means any stability concerns with 3 wheels are a non issue and the aptera will out handle most 4 wheeled cars in an emergency.

• Elzo Stubbe

February 6, 2022 at 6:39 am

The only achievement I am interested in these days is how to get from A to B only using solar energy.

• John Malcom

May 10, 2022 at 4:16 pm

as is mine! in an Aptera of course

• Steven Bryant

February 6, 2022 at 7:00 am

Speed is important but I wish to drive by charging stations and gas stations smiling and waving.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now