Lucid EV

• Posted by john-malcom on September 20, 2021 at 9:53 am

Tesla better be looking in their review mirror (Over their shoulder) Lucid Air, with its 113kWh battery just got an EPA approved 520 mile battery range. First real Luxury EV competition for Tesla.

autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a37603050/lucid-520-mile-epa-range/

paul-kirchner replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 14 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Lucid EV

• peter-jorgensen

September 20, 2021 at 10:09 am

Good competitor for the Model S – Nice to see the bar slowly rising.

Not relevant to the Model 3, Model Y, Model X, Hatchback, Cybertruck, ATV, Semi, Van, etc…

I can’t wait to see the 1000 mile EPA rating news from Aptera… That will make some people fall out of their chairs.

• joshua-rosen

September 20, 2021 at 11:00 am

If I were in the market for a luxury car the Lucid would be at the top of my list followed by the EQS. The Model S would be disqualified because of the yoke steering wheel, not just the shape of the wheel but the fact that the directional indicators are buttons on the wheel instead of a stalk. The only reason to buy a Model S would be in the Plaid edition by people who are serious about drag racing. The Lucid Air is a true luxury car which the Model S is definitely not. It will be interesting to see the comparisons with the EQS which is the gold standard for luxury. My personal reason for preferring the Lucid over the Mercedes is that I’m a tech guy not a car guy, I also don’t have any appreciation for luxury. Peter Rawlinson has impressed the hell out of me, as has their focus on producing the smallest, lightest and most efficient drive units.

At 520 miles of range the lack of Supercharger access is negated. In places where there are 350KW EA chargers the Lucid is going to be able to charge like a bat out of hell and in places with broken CCS chargers it will have enough range to get to the next charger. As I’ve mentioned before in our discussions of range on the Aptera, I think that any vehicle with a real world range of 450 or more will be able to do any day trip without the need for DC charging. If you pick your hotels correctly you should also be able to do long multiday road trips without DC charging. For people who want to barrel down an Interstate at 80 MPH and cover 1000 miles in a day, this car will do that with ease, EA doing a pretty good job of covering Interstates and within a year or two they should have filled in their major holes.

• joshua-rosen

September 20, 2021 at 3:58 pm

Lucid’s entry level will be around $75K, the dual motor 400 mile version is in the neighborhood of 88K, the 520 mile version is supposed to be around 139K, the 169K version is the performance version. Those are all old numbers, I don’t know the current prices.

• len

September 20, 2021 at 3:21 pm

Yes Nice to see a move fr efficiency. $169,000 though? Sure they need the money like Tesla’s start, to get into the swing

• Pistonboy

September 20, 2021 at 4:02 pm

This is impressive. 520 mile range (EPA rating) on 113kWH battery is very impressive considering the weight of the Lucic Air. It is a heavy vehicle.

While I will not be buying it, the technology enabling it will eventually trickle down helping everyone.

• Ronnie

September 22, 2021 at 10:23 am

Another “Later Clip” ie. Unboxed Therapy

• Ronnie

November 15, 2021 at 5:05 am

???????????????????????????????? ????????????????:
    Lucid Air Named 2022 MotorTrend Car of the Year.

CONGRATULATIONS‼️

Eco-beautiful LUXURY Performance Champ!! ????

Also, the financial reporting on LUCID is today at 2pm PST (ie. 5pm EST).

#DISRUPTIVE #ELECTRICVEHICLES #EVTECH

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
  • Ronnie

November 15, 2021 at 5:09 am

(CNN Business): Lucid Air named MotorTrend Car of the Year:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/business/lucid-air-motor-trend-car-of-the-year/index.html

• Ronnie

November 15, 2021 at 5:21 am

The 2022 MotorTrend Car of the Year is Lucid Air.

• Biker

November 22, 2022 at 7:14 am

For those clamoring for paint instead of wrap:

“On October 7, we told our readers about an electric vehicle with several manufacturing problems. Those who did not read our story and believe we are talking about a Tesla are wrong, at least in this case. The Lucid Air is having as many issues as Teslas have. Kyle Conner took one to a detailing shop and learned it was really thin. Now we know the only solution left to correct that paint job was paint protection film – or PPF.

The detailer recovered the story shared by Conner and presented some scratches the paint job had with a very bright lantern. In any car, all it would take to make it look better would be a nice polish. In the Lucid Air, doing that could remove the paint and expose the body. That’s why the detailer came to the conclusion that the only possible correction for those scratches was to hide them with PPF.

To check if that would really be the case, the professional applied pieces of Xpel Ultimate Plus to some of the worst areas in the electric sedan’s paint job. The detailer divided the areas in half: one without the PPF and one with it, to allow easier comparison. The film makes an incredible difference. More than that, it was the only option the detailer had to improve the paint job in any way.

As we wrote in our previous article about Air’s issues, if the paint job in a car is so thin that people will avoid polishing it, what will happen when this vehicle starts traveling and facing small stones thrown by other vehicles? If Lucid does not improve its paint process, we may soon see Air units with chipped paint around.

Some people argue that the less paint any body panel presents, the better because it gets lighter and you have fewer pollution risks with the painting process. The lousy excuse does not stand: having to repaint a car because what the factory did was not enough will double the paint needs: the one used in the factory plus all the paint that will be required to adequately protect the car’s body.”

Lucid Air’s Paint Is So Thin Only PPF Could Help Correct It – autoevolution

• Greek

November 22, 2022 at 8:18 am

I worked at American Airlines for 20 years. American never had their aluminum bodied jets painted, it was discovered that the weight savings from this decision saved them millions every year on fuel savings from flying a lighter weight aircraft. Now that most of their aircraft are composite, they need to paint them for a reasons unknown to me. Not exactly sure why paint is needed for protecting its non rusting composite body.

• OkieKev

November 22, 2022 at 8:32 am

@John – 2 possibilities are that the bare composite is unattractive and/or some composites will degrade from sun exposure.

Just spitballing.

🤷‍♂️

• Mike-Mars

November 22, 2022 at 10:21 am

They are worried about UV damage to the composite. Note that UV light is extremely strong when you are at cruising height, compared to ground level.

• Greek

November 22, 2022 at 11:48 am

Thanks Michael…I believe now my long term memory just kicked in…yes, I do remember now….that is correct.

• romeo-salcedo

November 22, 2022 at 8:26 am

Good morning, with lucid having all this problems I am worried about Aptera DYI program of maintenance. Let say it just stops and everything dont work like lucid what do I do in Hawaii with no support?

• Biker

November 22, 2022 at 10:01 am

Aptera likely won’t deliver to areas where no support is in place.

• ROMAD

May 31, 2023 at 2:21 pm

I saw my first Lucid in the wild today in downtown Prescott, AZ.

• craig-merrow

May 31, 2023 at 4:16 pm

Seen a couple of them in southern Maine, even got to meet the owner of one and check it out. Very impressed!

• paul-kirchner

May 31, 2023 at 5:45 pm

Not that it’s relevant here but just got back from a month in Southern Chile. 3500 kilometers of driving and did not see one EV. Saw one charging station in Torres del Paine and strangely enough you had to drive 50 meters off road to get to it.

or to reply.