Massless solar battery tech

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Massless solar battery tech

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Massless solar battery tech

• Massless solar battery tech

• Paul Schultz

December 5, 2021 at 1:20 pm

Another article showing another interesting battery tech. This is a carbon fiber structural battery. It doesn’t have the energy density of Lithium battery tech but could make up for some of this shortfall by reducing overall weight of a vehicle since it can be used as a structural component as well.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/12/03/massless-battery-for-applications-in-vehicle-integrated-solar/?fbclid=IwAR2WSgSa071pKJ9rfYApWCa5Yl3rTYEbhgRhnW7-ywGz-rAn7mkNbRPjRHM

• John Malcom

December 5, 2021 at 7:32 pm

ThanKs for posting.

Some Great things coming out of battery R&D in the next few years. There will be a neck down when what is good in R&D needs to be engineered to be easy and cheap to produce, safe, and long lasting.

The survivors will be revolutionary. Aptera 2.0 will have something much better than lithium ion 2170

• Randy J

December 29, 2021 at 7:51 am

I added to my investment yesterday. 3rd time.

I now wonder, after reading this article, how important solar EV’s are going to be in the future. Will aerodynamics matter that much if battery tech has improved as much as they say in this article? I hope Aptera completes their IPO soonish

https://www.greencars.com/guides/the-future-of-ev-batteries

The Race for Better EV Batteries

The race for better electric car batteries is being called the next gold rush. There are many new technologies coming soon that may make it easier to own and operate a zero-emission vehicle. The woes of “range anxiety” and “long charging times” will soon be a thing of the past as battery packs could soon offer over 400 miles of range between charges that only take a few seconds to charge, and could even provide power to the vehicle over the air.

We are at the threshold of a battery revolution. EV makers know that in order to get an EV in every garage, Americans demand more range and quicker charging. They are well aware of the limitations of the current lithium-ion batteries that power today’s EVs. While computer chips and operating systems continue to advance in saving power, battery packs have been the weakest link… until now.

• Jonathan Jansson

December 29, 2021 at 8:16 pm

Interesting article, wide in breadth, but light in details. It seems there is always a plethora of amazing battery technologies “just over the horizon”, and yet, the same lithium ion technology appears largely unchanged over the past decade. We are just using that technology in a wider variety of applications. EVs can cost a similar amount (in some cases) to “fill up” as ICE vehicles and I feel Aptera resolves this problem much more effectively than other vehicle manufacturers. Many features of the Aptera (aerodynamics, solar charging) maintain the same benefit regardless of the battery technology in use. Only once the electric transmission, charging infrastructure and electricity generation efficiency improve markedly, do I see the relative benefits of the Aptera truly degrade. For electricity generation efficiency, I’m thinking emerging technology like fusion (which always seems like 30 years off), but perhaps companies like Helion may be on to something and it could be sooner than that.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now