What model year will Aptera label their first manufactured vehicles?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What model year will Aptera label their first manufactured vehicles?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What model year will Aptera label their first manufactured vehicles?

• What model year will Aptera label their first manufactured vehicles?

John Voules updated 4 weeks ago 5 Members · 8 Posts
  • John Voules

July 7, 2022 at 6:09 pm

What model year will Aptera label their first manufactured vehicles?

• This discussion was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  John Trotter. Reason: Title and question expanded for search clarity
  • Dennis Swaney

July 7, 2022 at 6:37 pm

Most likely 2023 or 2024.

• Gordon Niessen

July 7, 2022 at 7:45 pm

Surely the first few will be 2022, just to cement any claims about being able to start production this year. It probably is very dependant on the funding they are trying to get from institutions now.

• Dennis Swaney

July 8, 2022 at 8:26 am

Why would anyone buy a 2022 model vehicle that WON’T be delivered until 2023 at the earliest? Even the major automakers label models produced in mid to late year as the following year models. Examples: my 1990 Miata was built on June 2, 1989 (I bought it in July 1989) and my 2005 VW Jetta was built in November 2004. I believe there will be only ONE “production” vehicle built AND sold in 2022 and that will be sold to an Aptera employee.

• David Marlow

July 7, 2022 at 10:39 pm

In typical automotive tradition, vehicles produced after the mid year model changeover would be labeled as the next year model, thinking that some may not actually be sold until the next year.

The one(s) that Aptera may actually sell in 2022, may actually be pre production units, so to differentiate them from actual production units, they may label them as 2022 models.

• John Voules

July 8, 2022 at 11:42 am

David,

I have seen manufacturers designate their vehicles for the following year, as early as January 1st, especially with a totally new model. I believe this is federally controlled and manufacturers take advantage of the timing of the release of their vehicle. Something so futuristic doesn’t half to be relegated to earlier year designation.

• John Trotter

July 8, 2022 at 11:23 am

Here, I’d like to see Aptera follow the Tesla model and not hardly talk about year. The traditional model of significant differences between years kills a continuous improvement process. In Tesla world, the advice is generally to buy when you are ready and not wait for a new model year. VIN numbers do in fact tell a year (my Nov 14, 2020 build Model Y has a 2021 VIN, but just barely), but what’s always more important is what features have been included.

• John Voules

July 10, 2022 at 3:11 pm

John , definitely understand your suggestion. Still, you need to have a year of manufacture.

2024 APTERA’s released in early 2023 only makes sense since early deliveries will start early during 2023. Early reservation holders all have 2023 delivery dates or later.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  John Trotter. Reason: Corrected typo on dates in post
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now