More than 3 point seatbelts?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions More than 3 point seatbelts?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions More than 3 point seatbelts?

• More than 3 point seatbelts?

• Abi Bellamkonda

July 25, 2022 at 2:25 pm

I’m an Aptera fan, investor and paradigm order holder BTW. Race cars have more than 3 point seatbelts (4-6 points). I don’t think a 4 or 5 point seatbelt would increase safety in Aptera much since it’s safe enough for me. I think more points would ruin the look and I need 2 hands to put the seatbelts instead of one.

I have had people ask me so many times “is Aptera safe” and I have good answers. What I find is there is a strong “first perception” that Aptera may not be safe on first look. I was wondering if Aptera had race car style seatbelt would that change initial perception for public? What do you guys think? It could be add-on during order.

• Joshua Rosen

July 25, 2022 at 2:54 pm

Racing belts would be a pain. The way to get people to accept it as safe is to get high marks on all of the safety tests.

• BigSky Country

July 25, 2022 at 4:20 pm

I actually think this could be counterproductive drawing unwanted attention. If I saw that, I would be asking what kind of car am I buying that the manufacturer thinks I might need this. For each person you appeal to, you run the risk of bringing a concern to top of mind for 10 others…. Just my opinion

• John Malcom

July 25, 2022 at 9:05 pm

Overkill. Most won’t race an Aptera. Those that intend to can install after purchase. Added weight and expense not needed for a vehicle that drives mostly on improved roads.

• kerbe2705

July 25, 2022 at 9:59 pm

Remember the brouhaha when the concept of seatbelt-mounted airbags was discussed? I fear anything this complicated would scare folks off!

• Bob Kirchner

July 26, 2022 at 11:38 am

There is a simpler option: two 3-point belts overlapping, such as Arcimoto uses. Better upper body restraint, but the same fastening process, just done twice.

• Dennis Swaney

July 26, 2022 at 5:33 pm

That is because they have open sides with the doors off. The Aptera is fully enclosed all the time.

• Dan Kerpe

July 26, 2022 at 3:57 pm

I’m going with a hard no on that. I’ve run 4 and 6 point harnesses in a few of my off-road toys. They’re great IF used correctly, but suck for daily driving. Most of the stupid 4 point harnesses the kids put in their cars to look cool are prone to submarining if not worn extremely tight, which makes them very dangerous. If worn tight enough to work correctly, you can’t move. Try a fun experiment. Next time you go for a drive, keep your back firmly stuck to the seat. Don’t let yourself lean in any direction. You’ll be amazed how annoying it is. I did switch to a four point harness that had a recoil for the shoulder straps, but the waist belt still has to stay uncomfortably tight.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

July 26, 2022 at 5:05 pm

Think about where the bolt holes will go if you go for a racing style seat belt setup. Full race setup has a roll cage that you can bolt to. Auto crossing you would probably put holes in the floorboard. Aptera’s floorboard has cooling running through it. I am sure once we see the vehicle, we’ll get some better ideas.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now