Most Efficient EV & Home | Aptera & GeoShip

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Most Efficient EV & Home | Aptera & GeoShip

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Most Efficient EV & Home | Aptera & GeoShip

• Most Efficient EV & Home | Aptera & GeoShip

Jonah Jorgenson updated 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Posts
  • Raj Giandeep

April 4, 2022 at 9:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KKU5rFiz4A

I want to share with you 2 amazing companies that have the courage to innovate, bring new ideas & products to the world. Each is unique in their own way. They both share the passion to build the most efficient product possible to help lessen the impact on mother earth.

First to market will be Aptera, built to be the most efficient lightweight EV on the planet, able to travel 1,000 miles on a charge & has solar panels included with the car that can charge the battery up to 40 miles a day at rest or moving. Able to charge quickly due to it using less energy per mile to move the vehicle.

Next to market will be GeoShip, which will offer an affordable geodesic dome home built with all-ceramic composite panels. It’s high efficiency, low maintenance, fast installation, non-toxic, mold proof, low EMF, fireproof, flood proof, hurricane & earthquake resistant. That will last generations.

These 2 companies have similarities between them.

• Startups in California
    • Working with composites to build their product.
    • Reimagining from the ground up how best to build their product.
    • Both are beautiful & memorable when you see them for the 1st time.
    • Wanting to lessen the impact on mother earth.
    • Built with the mindset of being the most efficient possible.
    • Affordable in what they are offering to the customer.
    • Can pre-order and get your spot in line for just $100
    • Can invest in each company before they go public on the stock market.

I’d like you to imagine you driving your Aptera to your dome home away from the city. Letting your Aptera charge in the sunlight as you walk into your cozy GeoShip nestled in the trees. Which stays cool inside in the summer & warm in the winter. Knowing that your home will survive any weather conditions that may be through it from strong winds, heavy snow & the summer sun.

• IA -1

April 4, 2022 at 1:36 pm

I have invested in Aptera, but not in Geoship. Their dome is a good idea and I guess they have a good product based on the materials they are using, but the pricing is not as good. I don’t have a problem with the shape of the structure, but a lot of people do. It seems like they are also having difficulties with raising funds, it’s been a while and they haven’t raised much.

In comparison, Boxabl (I am an investor, promissory notes to be converted into shares) started the share offering a few days ago and they already raised about 10 Million.

Another sustainable prefabricated company to keep an eye on would be Nexii, they are already a “unicorn”. I got shares from them 18 months ago at $5 per share, and at this moment they are $26.

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion, I don’t offer any advice about whether you should invest or not in the above mentioned companies.

• Raj Giandeep

April 4, 2022 at 2:04 pm

Boxabl is another big player in the low cost home ownership. I’m keeping an eye on them as well.

• IA -1

April 5, 2022 at 3:43 am

Nexii has a partnership with Siemens, they have pretty neat prefabricated solar charging stations.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 5, 2022 at 9:26 am

These are all small startups at this stage. Existing small homes exist in the form of factory built kit homes, and mobile homes. Well built traditional mobile homes are extremely usable living spaces and are more energy efficient than most traditional houses. Apartments / Condos also use far less energy per person than traditional average size stick build homes. Its good to have new options but I am skeptical. Tiny homes (under 300 sq foot) are rarely used long term (more waste) and are difficult to adapt. 3000+ square foot homes are glutinous overkill. Traditional smaller home solutions (mobile/condo/small house ~500-700 sq foot) use less energy and are cheaper as a direct result.

I would be very concerned about repairs in 10-20 years if the company doesn’t survive with a novel design. The only way to break out of this is to open source all the designs/patents and allow competitors to make the same thing but obviously that isn’t great as a way to corner a unique niche (bad for business). The problem is the clever ideas are encumbered by patents, have only 1 vendor as a result and that scares conservative companies/investors (for good reason). I invested in a company about 15 years ago with the clever idea of putting a vent pipe attached to a fan directly in the bowl of a toilet; no more stinky bathroom with no chemicals. Overall its quite a simple idea and is trivial to install during a build and not overly difficult to renovate in. One company, weird idea, didn’t make it.

Alternative materials and concepts are great to see but until they are making 10k or more units per year these are all drops in the bucket. Clever ideas for construction are nothing new, we wood based domes nearby, foam tiles filled with concrete is simpler/faster and came around in the 90s, 3D printing homes is great in theory. Hempcrete is an unknown regarding life/duration. Solar windows have a ton of electrical infrastructure. Being on the bleeding edge is a good way to get burned and not surprisingly homes are something people are very conservative about.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 5, 2022 at 7:30 am

Geoship’s website is hard to wade through – I’m not really getting any technically information… Never found a price, or any technical specifications. Just that it will help me stay in tune with nature. I like the idea though! Makes me wonder about other cheaper dome kits too!

Boxabl is cool too but this brings up a good point – What is their environmental impact? I really don’t know.

Iohouse is my favorite. Fully self-contained off-grid house with a retractable porch/blast door. Seems like something out of Oblivion. Expensive though – $200,000 something I believe.

• IA -1

April 5, 2022 at 8:25 am

Iohouse is definitely the best looking, and like Boxabl comes completed with refrigerator, kitchen, bathroom, utilities (water, electricity, HVAC etc.).

You can find the Geoship pricing info at the FAQ, but it doesn’t come with utilities, flooring etc:

How much do Geoship domes cost? What’s included (and not included) in the price?

The base price of the 200sqft and 850sqft domes are $30,000 and $100,000 respectively. This includes the finished dome, with entryway and electrical/plumbing rough in. The final costs, including utilities, foundation, flooring, delivery, installation, windows, and mechanical systems will be highly variable, but average 50% to 70% more than the base price.

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 5, 2022 at 12:11 pm

Not sure why we have advertising and discussion of small homes on an Aptera discussion forum.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now