Buying an Aptera outside of California

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Buying an Aptera outside of California

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Buying an Aptera outside of California

• Buying an Aptera outside of California

Dennis Swaney updated 1 day, 1 hour ago 26 Members · 44 Posts
  • Paul Schultz

October 24, 2022 at 5:15 pm

A new ‘Move’ item has been added to the menu options on the Aptera web site. It helps those in states that either ban direct car sales or require use of helmets to send an email to your representative.

For those in one of these states it would be helpful for you to send a message.

• This discussion was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  bbelcamino.
  • Gabriel Kemeny

October 24, 2022 at 5:22 pm

Steve covered this in his AOC YouTube channel:

Do we even need car dealerships anymore? – YouTube

• Dan McKelvy

October 25, 2022 at 9:09 am

Here is what I wrote to the Texas Department of Moving Vehicles (aka TXDMV).
    I am about to purchase a 3 wheeled vehicle from the manufacturer in California. It is called an Aptera. It is a fully enclosed autocycle. It has seat belts, airbags, and all other safety features found in a standard 4 wheel vehicle. <div>

<div>I understand Texas classifies all autocycles as motorcycles. I also understand Texas law does not permit consumers to purchase a new vehicle directly from the manufacturer. They may only be purchased from a dealership.</div><div>

The question then is may I legally buy an Aptera directly from the manufacturer in California and accept delivery in Texas because it is classified as a motorcycle?</div><div>

My alternative is to go to Colorado (the nearest state without this law), purchase the Aptera there and trailer it back to Texas. I much prefer to give my sales tax money to Texas and not to Colorado. </div><div>

Thank you very much for any advice. </div><div>

Dan

<div>**** – This is their reply – ***
    </div></div>

<div>

Hello Dan,

Thank you for contacting us. We hope your day is going well. It is my pleasure to assist you today.</div><div>

We understand you will be purchasing an Aptera from a manufacturer in California. Please be advised that Texas law does prohibit a Texas licensed manufacturer from retail sales. If you are certain that the manufacturer is not licensed in Texas, you may proceed with the purchase a standard sell and transfer of ownership so long as the manufacturer is operating by and following the laws of California.</div><div>

To apply for title and registration, submit the following in person to your local county tax office:</div><div>

Manufacturer Certificate of Origin</div><div>

Completed Title and/or Registration Application (seller signature is not required, and may be a copy)

Applicant’s current driver license or government-issued photo identification

Proof of current insurance

Proof of current inspection

Fees:

Estimated total average fees may be around $119.00 plus 6.25% sales tax

Fees vary depending on several factors, such as: vehicle type, vehicle weight, and county of residence</div><div>Contact your local county tax office for exact fee amount and payment.

Be sure to complete your title transfer within 30-days from the date of sale; otherwise, penalty fees may apply.

Now all we need is confirmation from Aptera that they are not licensed in Texas. I am hoping someone with more clout with Aptera than I is able to get us some confirmation of this from them. It would be prudent for Aptera to also edit their “MOVE” link on Aptera.us.
    </div></div>

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Dan McKelvy.
  • kerbe2705

October 25, 2022 at 9:56 pm

Isn’t this all dependent upon the state recognizing Aptera as an AUTOMOBILE? The last I heard there were no laws anywhere about motorcycles/autocycles only being able to be sold by franchised dealerships – and we’ve not seen any evidence of any state recognizing a three-wheeled vehicle as an AUTOMOBILE.

• Dan McKelvy

October 26, 2022 at 3:35 am

I think you are correct Paul. At least it does make sense.. Whoops! Now I know it’s gotta be wrong. By definition NOTHING in the government makes sense. 🤣😁

• Dan McKelvy

October 26, 2022 at 3:46 am

I wrote to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. There is no department in Texas for Motorcycles or Automobiles. They ignored the issue of ‘type’ of vehicle but they did understand the concern and described the paperwork needed. J. P. Morere chimed in with the same explanation but in simpler and more direct words.

The result is still…

WE NEED APTERA TO STEP IN with some kind of statement similar to Tesla’s on this issue. Then add that statement to the MOVE page.

• J.P. Morere

October 26, 2022 at 12:02 pm

Yes, this is what I failed to close my response with. Aptera really does need to look into and sort out the intricacies of sales in every state and assist the buyer in the purchase and registration of their vehicle much as Tesla has done. Hopefully better… in more clear terms and procedural steps.

• kerbe2705

October 26, 2022 at 10:07 pm

@Dan McKelvy

https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._transp._code_section_502.005

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  kerbe2705.
      • John Wiley

October 27, 2022 at 7:27 am

I recently asked Aptera about this. I live in South Carolina and was concerned that I could have a problem buying direct. This was their response:

“We want to assure you that we will have a way for all of our members across the US to be able to obtain their vehicles. We are currently working on advocacy efforts to make this process more seamless in your state. We will be providing information regarding your delivery/pick up options once we have finalized these details and are nearing the time of production.”

• Peter Dezendorf

October 27, 2022 at 11:54 am

If you take a look at https://aptera.us/move/ you will see that there are many states in which a customer could not buy an Aptera.

OK, what can be done about that? In Virginia, contacting our representatives won’t help. The next legislative session is already crammed full. Tesla somehow managed to get around the regulations prohibiting direct sales. But only Tesla.

Move

• Lawrence Leonard

October 27, 2022 at 12:00 pm

Would it be possible to buy it in California, drive it home and pay state taxes?

• Brandon Meyer

November 5, 2022 at 8:20 am

Yes but you will pay California sales tax at purchase and most likely sales tax in your state at registration

• BRUCE MENGLER

October 27, 2022 at 12:10 pm

It is legal to buy an Aptera in Tennessee, Maryland, Delaware.
    Perhaps you could make arrangements with Aptera to take delivery in one of the 3 states above.

FWIW – For non-Californians who want/can buy at the Assembly Plant, California offers a 7 day registration which would allow for “legal” road trip back to your home state for full registration there.

• Peter Dezendorf

October 27, 2022 at 1:58 pm

If Aptera is allowed to deliver a vehicle to a state other than the one the customer is legally a resident. When Aptera sales fills out the vehicle sale form, it must state the customer’s legal address.

• Joshua Rosen

October 27, 2022 at 12:13 pm

It’s an online transaction, states can’t prohibit interstate commerce with the sole exception of alcohol (prohibition wasn’t completely repealed, states were given powers over alcohol that don’t apply to any other good). You buy the vehicle from Aptera in California, they then hand it to a third party shipping company who delivers it to you.

Almost everyone will be buying them online as they won’t have stores or delivery centers. I’m unclear as to how taxes are handled. With regular online transactions you are taxed by the state you live in not the state that where the retailer is located, is that the same for cars. The only out of state car purchases that I’ve done are in New Hampshire which doesn’t have a sales tax. In those cases the dealer gave me the paperwork which I took to the Massachusetts RMV along with a check for the sales tax and I registered the car.

• BRUCE MENGLER

October 27, 2022 at 12:24 pm

I am retired & live about 15 miles from Aptera’s Assembly building.
      I volunteer to provide at-cost/no profit shuttle service to any Aptera buyer in CONUS.
      No state can prohibit private party sales, so worst case I buy from Aptera in CA & sell to you at any location you specify. This NOT intended to be a tax dodge; just away around dealership restrictions.

• Ray Holan

October 28, 2022 at 6:45 am

Joshua, I have purchased a number of cars from owners in states outside of my native Ohio. I have always paid Ohio State sales tax on the sale to get a vehicle registration. Last time I did that was around 15 years ago, so things MAY have changed. My plan is to have the Aptera shipped to me by a traditional auto transport company that can accommodate the three-wheel configuration.

• Joshua Rosen

October 28, 2022 at 7:09 am

An individual owner is not the same as a manufacturer. Individuals are never required to collect sales taxes, companies are. Ordinary online sales are taxed in the state of the buyer but car sales are frequently handled differently then other sales because of their size. For example in Massachusetts if we make ordinary purchases in New Hampshire we are supposed to report them to the state and pay the sales tax ourselves but no one in the 400 years since the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock has ever done that. MA is fully aware of this so they have the RMV make sure you’ve paid the sales tax before you register a car, if you buy it from a dealer or Tesla store in MA they will handle the tax collection and registration for you, if you buy the car in New Hampshire you have to do it on your own and bring a check for the sales tax to the RMV when you register it.

What’s California’s law regarding sales to out of state buyers? Do they exempt out of state buyers or to use Sopranos speak do they put their beak in?

• Brandon Meyer

November 5, 2022 at 8:24 am

My understanding is that CA will charge you sales tax if you accept delivery in CA. Shipping is different because you’re not accepting delivery in CA.

• seth feldman

October 27, 2022 at 3:59 pm

By my count only 18 states allow direct sales. I’m curious if autocycles/motorcycles may actually be exempt in any of those states or if it’s actually all vehicles. I’d like to assume aptera had someone double check that before posting their move site, but obvious things do get looked over.

From my understanding Tesla could register the vehicle in your home state, as long as you purchased/accepted delivery in an approved state. Basically it’s usually just the sale that’s banned, but vehicles can be brought in and registered after sale has occurred. Hopefully aptera will get something similar going. It is disappointing aptera only has a contact form for 12 of the states unless the others are already changing their rules.

• Clint Nichols Nichols

October 28, 2022 at 5:55 am

I see PA listed as one of the states where direct sales aren’t allowed, but clicking on the “Contact your representation” does not have a button for PA. Mixed message there. But I am concerned about how to get over that hurdle.

• Michael Jordan

October 28, 2022 at 6:17 am

I read the bill for Oklahoma. I can’t find out if it passed or not, it looks like it only made it out of committee in the House. However, if it DOES pass, it just has to be sent to a Motor Vehicle Dealer. That means I can have it shipped to a local car dealer if they will take some money to process the transaction. Aptera doesn’t have to have dealerships, they just have to deliver it to a licensed Motor Vehicle Dealer in the state. I can also become a Motor Vehicle Dealer for $300. I would suggest $300 is what I would offer a dealer to take delivery for me.

• Chris

Administrator
    October 28, 2022 at 9:41 am

We are establishing partnerships in the affected states to ensure that our reservation holders can purchase and obtain Aptera. The team will be announcing more information in the future, but in the meantime, please know that we are making significant progress. Thank you for being part of the paradigm shift. There is great strength in numbers!

• kerbe2705

October 28, 2022 at 10:09 pm

Why are we even HAVING this discussion? Nowhere on the PLANET is Aptera considered to be an AUTOMOBILE! In the US – according to individual state regulations – Aptera is either an autocycle or a motorcycle: The laws enacted to support automotive dealerships DO NOT APPLY to Aptera!

Aptera will be following an online sales model: You’ll configure and purchase the vehicle online (just like buying a Tesla – or a toaster from Amazon) and you’ll pay the local taxes for where the purchase was made. If you live in Pennsylvania and purchase a Tesla from the factory in Texas, you pay Pennsylvania taxes – not Texas taxes – for the purchase. Same goes for buying a car on Ebay.

For Aptera to be considered an AUTOMOBILE it would, first, need a fourth wheel – and then it would have to be homologated as an automobile, meeting all the structural and safety considerations required of an automobile.

• Peter Dezendorf

October 29, 2022 at 9:41 am

No.

The Virginia regulations concerning purchases uses the phrase “motor vehicles.” Only in a few sections does it call out the type of motor vehicle, such as off-road motorcycle.

• kerbe2705

October 29, 2022 at 10:22 pm

@Peter Dezendorf “No” is the response to what question? Are you saying that, in Virginia, a citizen can’t go online and purchase ANY motorized vehicle directly from its manufacturer? Most motorcycle companies sell direct-to-consumer via their websites – so a Virginian who wants a Harley must find a retailer in VA who sells Harleys and purchase from that retailer instead of directly from Harley-Davidson?

What about the motorbikes and motorcycles available for purchase on Amazon? Some of them are sold by their manufacturers THROUGH Amazon and others by various retailers who sell through Amazon.

• Joshua Rosen

October 30, 2022 at 7:37 am

A state can prohibit a store or service center but not an Internet transaction. Stores and service centers are within the state which is why they can be regulated or prohibited. Internet transactions are interstate commerce which is protected by the Constitution, it’s the reason we have the Constitution. Interstate commerce was a hot mess under the Articles of Confederation, that was the incentive for writing the Constitution. You can buy anything that’s legal to own in your state from out of state unless Congress or the Constitution has given the states explicit rights to regulate that good. You do have to pay sales tax on your Internet purchases but that’s because Congress gave the states the right to collect sales taxes on Internet transactions, Congress has the sole right to regulate interstate commerce. When you buy an Aptera that transaction occurs in California under the laws of California. If California laws are problematic then Aptera can set up an entity in another state, for example a sales tax free state without dealer laws, and do the sale through that entity.

• Jason Whitley

November 3, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Hello all! I live in Alabama, and, while my state has hopped on the bandwagon in the aspects of ev battery production (Tuscaloosa Mercedes) I’m in hopes that there are ways around the whole “dealership law” here. I’ve seen Teslas on the road here, so I assume there is a work around. Granted I’ll go all the way to Cali to get my Aptera, I’d rather not have to. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Patrick Dunn

November 3, 2022 at 3:27 pm

I just found out today this could be an issue. However, I’m in Nevada, and would happily trek to SD to pick one up.

• BRUCE MENGLER

November 3, 2022 at 4:09 pm

Mississippi is a green state; which could shorten your travel to buy your Aptera.

https://aptera.us/move/

Move

• Dennis Swaney

November 3, 2022 at 4:48 pm

As are Tennessee & Florida.

• Jason Whitley

November 3, 2022 at 5:32 pm

So I could book a vaca in Chattanooga or see relatives in FL. cool, cool. I’m just ignorant on how the whole process would play out.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Jason Whitley. Reason: grammar and spelling
    • Jason Whitley

November 3, 2022 at 5:29 pm

Aye that! Excellent news! But, how exactly would the process go? I’m over 40 and am use to “brick and mortar” businesses.

• Camille Mosley-Pasley

November 3, 2022 at 5:41 pm

I had no idea there would be obstacles on the state level. I’m glad I live in MD instead of an adjoining state. I noticed AL isn’t included on the Freedom to Buy/Contact your rep page but MS is. I’m wondering if they colored the wrong state green.

• Dennis Swaney

November 3, 2022 at 5:51 pm

The MS state legislature is trying to ban direct sales, but so far has failed. Aptera is telling residents they need to be alert and block future attempts.

• Casey McCarty

November 4, 2022 at 12:16 am

I just contacted the folks that represent me in Washington state. It’s pretty easy using the boilerplate provided by Aptera in the “Move” section of the main menu over there on the left. I changed my address to include the second four digits of my Zip Code. Political people kind of read it as code for “I vote” which is a hack they understand. And you can modify it to be more personal and take some of the mystery out of BEVs for our leadership people.

If your state isn’t green on the map then get off your ass and get it done. Hmmm; I wonder what the black state letter looks like?

• Curtis Cibinel

November 4, 2022 at 8:59 am

Hopefully these templates and efforts to get people lobbying for changes can extend to canada where we also have regulatory problems. Alberta requires both a helmet and motorcycle license. Ontario and many maritime provinces require helmets.

• Casey McCarty

November 4, 2022 at 5:35 pm

The point some of us is missing is that you shouldn’t have to travel to another state to buy something that is legal in all senses.

The other points are repair and maintenance. Aptera may be challenged to establish a repair station in your area.

Besides; Why are these “Freedom” people putting rules and regulations in our lives that really serve a very small minority of citizens. Aptera is not alone in this hassle. A letter or email from a constituent is helpful to the people that make or change our laws.

• Karen Copher

November 4, 2022 at 6:45 pm

I also contacted my representatives in Washington state to encourage a change to allow manufacturer direct vehicle sales here. Tesla was granted a variance in WA, so if the many interested in Aptera push our reps a bit, we have a chance to make this green state even greener.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Karen Copher.
  • Russell Fauver

November 4, 2022 at 2:09 pm

Looking at the map, South Carolina is a black state. Manufacturers are not allowed to put factory-owned dealerships here.

I contacted our DMV and they don’t mind if we buy a vehicle from the manufacturer via the internet and have it delivered. Or we can travel to a neighboring state to buy one and register it here.

They confirmed the Aptera is a motorcycle. And sales tax on a motorcycle in SC is 5% or $500.00 whichever is lower.

I didn’t ask about helmets because helmets aren’t required for people over 21 to ride any type of motorcycle, 2 wheels, 3 wheels, enclosed or not.

So even though the map shows my state in Black, it doesn’t looks like it’ll be a problem to buy an Aptera.

• Craig Merrow

November 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm

Great to see that Maine (and New England) is a green state! Efficiency Maine has a rebate on EV’s, will have to see how that works with Aptera as the EV has to be purchased in-state from what I understand.

• Douglas Smith

November 27, 2022 at 6:53 pm

I believe buying an Aptera in California and driving or shipping it to one of the 14 states that ban direct sales from a factory is not an issue. I will go to California and buy the vehicle while in that state, and then drive it to Washington to register it. That ban only applies when a factory is selling vehicles in one of the affected states.

• Casey McCarty

November 27, 2022 at 8:07 pm

Me too, Douglas.
      I’ve done it with a couple of other vehicles so this shouldn’t be so different. I believe inspection is under a hundred dollars as is insurance if I understood GEICO properly. Of course, the Washington State 10% sales tax is going to hurt. Hmmmmmm? Does anyone have a good understanding about California sales tax law?

• Dennis Swaney

November 28, 2022 at 10:13 am

Does Washington credit you for tax on a vehicle you pay in California? Arizona does. The current tax in Carlsbad, CA is 7.75% while here in Prescott, AZ it’s 9.1% (it will drop to 8.35% on 1 Jan 23). So if I bought a vehicle in Carlsbad now, I would only end up owing AZ 1.35% or next year 0.6%

Viewing 1 - 23 of 23 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now