Mud season

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Mud season

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Mud season

• Mud season

Bob Kirchner updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago 9 Members · 16 Posts
  • Thomas Duston

November 15, 2022 at 3:01 pm

Do people think that Apteras will perform better or worse in mud due to being lighter weight and having three wheels?

I have not seen anyone commenting on how an Aptera might do during mud season. The gravel roads I often drive on are great most of the year, but turn to mud in certain places for two to four weeks each Mud Season (the time between end of Winter and beginning of Spring). My current car weighs about twice what an Aptera probably will, and sinks far enough in the mud (about 10 inches I guess) that I have to hose out the gravel from the undercarriage at the end of the season. Most years a vehicle or two do get stuck, but they range from subcompacts to SUVs so I assume they get stuck b/c of driver inexperience.

Thanks for whatever thoughts you have…I hope to put them to the test during Mud Season ‘24!!

• David Marlow

November 15, 2022 at 4:28 pm

<div>For mud like you are talking about the wheel pants would have to be removed, even from the off road version. Not many regular cars could handle that. I have experience deiving in deep mud, 1 foot of mud can be handled with a high ground clerence 4WD vehicle, deeper than that is a problem even for them.
    </div>

• Bob Kirchner

November 15, 2022 at 5:31 pm

I don’t have much experience with mud roads since leaving Africa, but it seems to me that the main issue is floatation: the ratio of weight to the tire contact area that supports that weight. My current vehicle weighs about 3000 lb. and rides on four 195 section tires. It does just fine on the soft roads I occasionally find myself on in springtime. Aptera weights 2000 lb. or less and rides on three 195 section tires. I think it should do fine.

• Dennis Swaney

November 15, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Doing the math, 4 into 3000 gives us 750 lbs/tire but 3 into 2000 is only 666 lbs 11 oz, drop of 11% per tire. So it looks good.

• Thomas Duston

November 16, 2022 at 4:38 am

That is really helpful. My own driving style during mud season is to stay at the top of the peaks of mud that get pushed up by heavier vehicles and it sounds like that should work fine with the lighter Aptera.

• Dennis Swaney

November 16, 2022 at 7:06 am

Except the rear wheel will be down in the valley between the peaks, of course.

• J.P. Morere

November 16, 2022 at 1:44 pm

TThat’s okay, at least you won’t be dragging your belly if the front wheels are on the peaks. I suspect that the rear wheel will be doing okay in the rut.

• Bob Kirchner

November 17, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Given the insane width of the front track, it may be possible straddle BOTH ruts and still have the rear wheel on the high center.

• Carlos Dorantes

November 16, 2022 at 3:21 pm
    First post!!!

I have a somewhat similar question:

What would be the concerns of driving this car on “windy” roads (say…wind gusts of 40 mph or more). It can get windy at times around here, and with a light/aerodynamic vehicle like this I worry about the possibility of it being “picked up” by a wind gust. Sorry for the stupid question, new member (and reservation holder) here.

• Michael Marsden

November 16, 2022 at 3:23 pm

With a very aerodynamic vehicle, I would guess that it would be less affected by the wind, rather than more affected.

• John Voules

November 16, 2022 at 4:49 pm

Actually it was mentioned early in its design that the APTERA is aerodynamic from all sides of the vehicle. The wind including big rigs driving by will not have a strong effect on the body of the vehicle, unlike slab sided vehicles.

• Carlos Dorantes

November 17, 2022 at 9:09 am

Good to know, because I-90 can get crazy wind gusts…..not to mention the boatloads of 18 wheelers……😉

• Bob Kirchner

November 17, 2022 at 2:44 pm

If there are boats loaded with 18 wheelers that far inland it is very windy indeed.

• Joshua Rosen

November 17, 2022 at 9:31 am

I’m assuming it will be a summer car until proven otherwise. I’ll want to take it through one winter and the following spring pothole season before I decide that it can be my only car. I don’t have mud to worry about but I do have snow and more importantly potholes. I suspect it will be fine in the snow but the three wheel arrangements will make it impossible to steer around potholes.

• Dennis Swaney

November 17, 2022 at 10:05 am

But which version will you use to make that determination? The base FWD model, the base AWD model, or the Off Road AWD model?

• Joshua Rosen

November 17, 2022 at 11:19 am

I’ve ordered the AWD version. Given a choice I will always opt for AWD. I made an exception for the Volt because in 2016 that was my only option for an EV but I absolutely hated having to swap wheels/tires twice a year because the Volt couldn’t function in even the tiniest amount of snow without winter tires. My previous ICE car and my current Tesla are AWD and they both function fine with all seasons in the winter.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now