NASA Solid State Battery

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News NASA Solid State Battery

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News NASA Solid State Battery

• NASA Solid State Battery

• Jonah Jorgenson

October 20, 2022 at 8:59 am

NASA (Not the Space Group) is developing a solid state battery that claims will have twice the capacity as current batteries and will weigh 40% less. Far less fire risk as well so safer. Additionally, the battery will not use Cobalt, Nickle, or Manganese. The intended use, enable electric airplanes. Space systems is interested for space vehicle batteries and rover batteries.

As with any battery development claims, the battery must perform in the real world not just in a lab environment and must be mass producible at a commodity price.

NASA guilty as charged for wasting money, but the other side of that coin is always funded, no need to scrape for investment dollars.

This is taking place in Ray’s back yard.

Here is the Electric Viking’s video. With him everything is a game changer!😜

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G7Z07Dnk6Mhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G7Z07Dnk6M

• This discussion was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: corrected spelling
    • This discussion was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  bbelcamino.
  • Ray Holan

October 20, 2022 at 10:47 am

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Jonah. I have an “inside man” who works for a NASA contractor at Glenn Research Center (formerly NASA Lewis Research Center) here in Cleveland. I’ll reach out to him and see if he has access to any additional info. about this.

• Russell Fauver

October 21, 2022 at 5:35 am

About 5 years ago a company came out with an electric motor that weighed 50 pounds and developed 300 hp continous. I looked at my airplane that had two 500lb engines each making 260 hp and thought about doing a conversion. My plane carried 1,000 pounds of fuel so replacing the two engines with those light weight motors would allow 1900 pounds for batteries and still have the same carrying capacity. Unfortunately the best batteries at that time would only allow a flight of 1 hour with the required 30 minute reserve. Battery breakthroughs like this are necessary to make electric flight possible. Hopefully one day…

• Jonah Jorgenson

October 21, 2022 at 8:00 am

Ambitious effort. I admire you!

What would you have to do to get FAA certification on something like that? I am a pilot too and have followed the development of electric powered flight. To heavy for home built experiment I would think.

Pipistrel, which produced the world’s first electric-powered aircraft to be internationally certified as being safe for passenger flights has been purchased by Textron to start a new division for electric flight.

Last time I checked there are over 150 projects world wide to produce electric airplanes.

• Russell Fauver

October 22, 2022 at 4:21 am

Yep, lots of cool stuff happening in the world of electric aviation! As battery energy density improves I hope to eventually see STCs for converting our legacy airplanes to electric. Motors and related electronics are already capable considering most of the older piston powered fleet uses engines rated at 100hp to 300hp. We’re just waiting on that ‘game changing’ battery breakthrough πŸ™‚

• Joshua Rosen

October 22, 2022 at 6:04 am

Here’s a fun fact, piston airplane engines still require leaded gas. It’s unbelievable that this hasn’t been phased out by now. A question for you, are there small turbines available that could be used in small planes instead of piston engines?

• Russell Fauver

October 22, 2022 at 8:27 am

True. Well up until last month anyway.. GAMI’s Unleaded aircraft fuel, G100UL, recieved certification last month for fleet wide use. There were two or three unleaded options available for the low compression piston aircraft engines. But this is the first one to receive the FAA’s blessing for all piston engines.

There are a few airplanes that have options for aftermarket turbines, the Cessna 210 and Beech A36 come to mind. I flew an A36 with the Allison turbine once, like 20 years ago. It was impressive! Impressive enough to make a lasting memory πŸ™‚

There are also diesel engines available for use in Skyhawks and Warriors which gets them away from the lead issue. They run on JetA.

Personally, I think I’ll keep my piston engine until the full electric option comes along.

• Jonah Jorgenson

October 22, 2022 at 7:36 am

πŸ‘

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now