New Interview, as promised, from “Transport Evolved”

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New Interview, as promised, from “Transport Evolved”

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions New Interview, as promised, from “Transport Evolved”

• New Interview, as promised, from “Transport Evolved”

• kerbe2705

March 24, 2022 at 7:49 am

Video from TE’s recent visit to Aptera…

• Peter Jorgensen

March 24, 2022 at 8:27 am

Interesting notes:

Beta is ballasted to mimic characteristics of finished vehicle.

Aptera will be manufacturing the Elaphe in-wheel motors.

Currently the big effort is on getting supply chain going – which some parts take 6 months to get up and running. A lot of parts are locked down and released from development.

• kerbe2705

March 24, 2022 at 8:40 am

ALSO:

1. Info about the side-view camera situation

2. Verification that “skin cooling” refers to the belly pan and NOT the body of the vehicle

3. Aptera won’t be skipping a Greek letter in the development cycle

• Raj Giandeep

March 24, 2022 at 8:44 am

Notes I made on the video.

Gamma design in the next few months. After that is Delta which is pre-production vehicles.
    1% more head room, seats moved inward a bit. Aero drag reduced by 5% on the Beta redesign.
    In-wheel motors update, more efficient, lighter, less weight, less parts. Aptera can manufacture it themselves. Side mirrors will be able to be removed very easily by the owner. Independent of the camera system. “wink wink”

• Morris Wilder

March 24, 2022 at 9:47 am

👍🏾

• Gary Greenway

March 24, 2022 at 12:23 pm

I wonder if that was from a beta body mold? It was interesting to see the rear compartment structure (0:39) without the floor installed. It was too dark to see any space behind the seats for storage, but there were two long underfloor longitudinal channels that could be utilized.

The other thing I noticed is a vertical flange around the trunk opening. Besides it’s structural function it looks like a good way to mount weatherstripping. I’m still concerned about water and ice management in this area. It will need an easily cleanable drain.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Gary Greenway. Reason: added timestamp to video
    • kerbe2705

March 25, 2022 at 10:54 am

Yes, that is the basic Beta body – you can tell from the change in the door opening shape and the depth of the rear cargo area.

• Pistonboy Delux

March 24, 2022 at 8:57 pm

Lordstown Motors was planning to use the Elaphe motors in their truck, as well as manufacture the motors and distribute them in the US.

Then Lordstown Motors was purchased by Foxconn, a Taiwanese company specializing in making electronics, but is now wanting to make skateboard battery and propulsion platforms, to be used by other EV companies. Since purchasing Lordstown Motors, I am sure they will use their own motors and have nothing to do with Elaphe.

In the past, I speculated that Aptera may become the new manufacturer and distributor for Elaphe motors.

At time 8:40 in this video, Chris says “so we can actually manufacture the motor when it comes time.” This sounds like Aptera will be manufacturing the motors.

At time 9:32, Chris says “getting the Elaphe guys aligned with suppling the wheel motors.” He says this when talking about getting all suppliers to supply their parts at the correct time. This sounds like Elaphe will be suppling the motors.

The only way I can reconcile these two statements which seem to contradict each other is as follows. In the early stages, Elaphe will supply the motors. As time progresses and Aptera becomes an established company, Aptera Motors will commence manufacture and distribution of the motors in the US. Completing the vehicle design and manufacturing of it is enough of a full time task, without trying to manufacturing the motors at the same time.

• Danny Mattijetz

March 24, 2022 at 9:48 pm

I noticed a somewhat unsightly match up on the seams of the rear wheel (4:11 and 12:00). I know the vehicle was hand made and an alpha vehicle, so I’m not too worried yet, but it is something to watch.

• Steven G. Bueche

March 25, 2022 at 4:27 am

At around the 9:22 mark I see the solar waffle pattern reflected on the underside/inside of the windshield. I hope this doesn’t become a problem from a visual point of view.

The side view of the car looks less tadpole and more stream lined in the beta from the midsection back. I liked the tadpole look but if it helps aerodynamics then so be it.

I also wish these interviews were more in depth and less surface informational but that’s the nerd in me talking.

• Pistonboy Delux

March 25, 2022 at 1:35 pm

Good point. It is worth noting the solar cell part of the dash is not reflecting. What is reflecting, is the part of the dash that has no solar cells on it.

• Francis Giroux

March 25, 2022 at 8:22 am

Did you notice that he said there are 1070 parts to the vehicle. I wonder if that counts every screw and every nut and every bolt. I assume that this is a record low number of parts in a production vehicle (once it gets into production).

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

March 25, 2022 at 8:39 am

Beta ride video from the visit up and posted separately.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now