NHTSA greenlights self-driving cars

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News NHTSA greenlights self-driving cars

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News NHTSA greenlights self-driving cars

• NHTSA greenlights self-driving cars

• John Malcom

March 12, 2022 at 12:42 pm

I don’t understand the logic here. The NHTSA can say it is OK for self driving cars to have no human controls before there is a legitimate self driving car but can’t approve cameras in place of side mirrors which have been around for awhile and a proven technology.

Go figure.

https://news.yahoo.com/nhtsa-self-driving-driverless-cars-steering-wheel-pedals-204048420.html

• This discussion was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  bbelcamino.
  • Llewellyn Evans

March 12, 2022 at 3:18 pm

One implies the other is legal because it uses cameras for rear vision.

• John Malcom

March 12, 2022 at 5:54 pm

The state laws apply to side mirrors

• Patrick Liebknecht

March 12, 2022 at 7:10 pm

Remember when Tesla’s were hitting white 18 wheelers because they couldn’t see them ?

• Steven G. Bueche

March 13, 2022 at 4:10 am

Nope. I’ll never allow myself to be driven in a vehicle without my input. When I drive, I’m the driver and don’t do anything but drive. It’s a responsibility thing. I passed on the self driving option on my Tesla (not worth $10K) and I hardy ever allow it to be in control of anything. I do like the lane dead spot notification but the rest is on me.

I tell folks to buy Tesla/Aptera anyway as the others have loss my faith in them a long time ago.

Driving is dangerous and cars shouldn’t be meant to be rolling offices or entertainment centers. If you need more information, pull over, look up what you need and carry on from there, That is of course you have a passenger that can do it for you.

I like Apteria’s side view screens but I also think I’ll stick with mirrors as well. The minimal amount of drag can’t possibly hurt anything.

• Patrick Liebknecht

March 13, 2022 at 9:38 am

Between June 2016 and May 2021, the NHTSA investigated 36 crashes that involved Tesla EVs or other vehicles with self-driving features, according to a list of investigations

• Joshua Rosen

March 13, 2022 at 10:13 am

Here is the link to the story about side mirrors,

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/03/13/the-nhtsa-dot-want-your-thoughts-on-using-cameras-instead-of-traditional-mirrors/

NHTSA is going to do a multiyear study before they rule on mirrors. Self driving is still in the science stage, nobody has come close to solving the problem and yet they are willing to make rulings on it. Side cameras are trivial, nothing has to be invented to make them work. Europe approved then several years ago. How hard would it be for NHTSA to pick up the phone or send an e-mail to their European counterparts and ask them to send them a copy of the EU study and maybe ask them the follow up question, “Hey guys, how’s it going with those cameras?”.

• Patrick Liebknecht

March 13, 2022 at 10:26 am

The USA didn’t follow the European studies on the pandemic what makes anyone think they’ll listen to anything the EU has to say ?

Seriously , Italy had all the data we needed and blindly followed Punxsutawney-Fauci for 2 years

• John Malcom

March 13, 2022 at 10:31 am

hey, look a the posting guidelines. Political discourse is not appropriate for this forum. Plenty of public places to express political views

• Patrick Liebknecht

March 13, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now