No front-facing camera.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions No front-facing camera.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions No front-facing camera.

• No front-facing camera.

Posted by WilliamT on October 27, 2022 at 3:07 pm

Just read that there will be 4 cameras; Left, Right and two Rear. I can’t put my finger on why, but this bothers me.

jeff-siddons replied 1 year, 3 months ago 13 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • No front-facing camera.

jeff-siddons updated 1 year, 3 months ago 13 Members · 15 Replies
  • joshua-rosen

October 27, 2022 at 3:08 pm

Will there be a front camera with the optional ADAS system? Do they have a radar instead?

• jonah-jorgenson

October 27, 2022 at 6:16 pm

Aptera has stated that there will be no radar, only cameras for ADAS similar to what Tesla now uses for there version of ADAS. The exception are the parking sensors on the wheel pants. Not radar either and not cameras.

• ROMAD

October 28, 2022 at 7:25 am

Jonah, if the pants sensors are “Not radar … not cameras”, then what type are they?

• Markus

October 28, 2022 at 8:34 am

Ultrasonic sensors.

• SteveW

October 27, 2022 at 3:30 pm

I have heard that there will be a front facing camera in front of the upper rear view “mirror” display.

• paul-kirchner

October 27, 2022 at 3:46 pm

According to the email sent out today, there are four cameras. Now it was worded as Refined Vision System which concerned itself with showing the rear views. There may be a front camera for other things but not related to the content on the screens?

• RajGiandeep

October 28, 2022 at 2:49 pm

I did see a front facing camera on the mirror/digital display pointing toward the front on Gamma at the show. Tried to take a photo, but didn’t turn out.

• OZ.

October 27, 2022 at 4:11 pm

If you look at the Post/Email sent out, it is concerned with the Aptera Vision System, IE the screens to assist/replace standard mirrors. As Paul points out it does not address other cameras/views. Front facing camera/s are likely still

• RajGiandeep

October 29, 2022 at 8:40 am

This is a screen from my 360 video inside Aptera Gamma. You can see the reflection of a front facing camera on the rear view mirror/display. You could see it from outside too, but the glare makes it challenging to photograph.

Skip to 1:50 to see the rear view mirror camera -> https://youtu.be/p9CSbLd2TV8?t=111

• OkieKev

October 29, 2022 at 10:49 am

@Raj Giandeep – Is that confirmed by someone from Aptera or supposition? It could be a light sensor for auto dimming of the screen at night. If you heard it straight from one of the horses’ mouths, that would be great. Otherwise, I kind of remuddied the water. Sorry.😬

• RajGiandeep

October 29, 2022 at 10:57 am

No direct confirmation from Aptera. When I did get a clear view of it. Did seem like a camera & not a ambient light sensor. Those light sensors usually sit at the front of the dash anyway. We shall see if the front camera is confirmed with Delta.

This is what an ambient light sensor looks like in a car. More rounded & not flat.

• john-larocque

October 29, 2022 at 3:25 pm

Interesting. You can see it in this Gamma photo from Aptera as well.

It does look like a camera but doesn’t strike me as sufficient for ADAS – most systems use multiple forward-facing cameras and they’re usually more prominent than this.

• OkieKev

October 29, 2022 at 5:29 pm

If that is indeed a camera, all it would be good for is as a dash cam. If the review mirror/monitor can pivot like a traditional review mirror, then it could not be for ADAS as those cameras have to be aligned and locked down.

• Mike-Mars

October 29, 2022 at 3:17 pm

I’d be amazed if there weren’t front facing cameras on Delta.

In any case, for the Level 2 option to work, there must be forward facing cameras.

• jeff-siddons

January 4, 2023 at 7:04 am

I would like to be able to record what the front facing camera views in case of an accident instead of having to install my own camera setup.

or to reply.