Off Road Demonstration

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Off Road Demonstration

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Off Road Demonstration

• Off Road Demonstration

• Efrain Goody

April 22, 2022 at 9:50 am

Hi, we’ve all probably seen the alpha and beta vehicles being driven around their little demonstration loop in the city, and have gotten a fairly good idea of how the vehicle handles city driving, with smooth roads, speed bumps, and an occasional pot hole. But Aptera seems confident that the vehicle will handle great off road and in winter conditions.

I would love to see one of the test vehicles taken out to the mountains. How does it handle gravel? Dirt? Mud? Steep grades? Sharp turns? What about a bit of snow or ice? Sure, I get that the torque vectoring isn’t ironed out completely yet, so really harsh environments might be avoided, but I’d bet that one of the employees would love to take it out on the weekend for a bit of rugged fun.
    Just be sure to film it for us!

• Peter Jorgensen

April 22, 2022 at 11:59 am

I can’t wait to see this. For now photoshop will have to do…

• Bob Kirchner

April 22, 2022 at 12:45 pm

Some guy on the internet (hehe) posted this a couple of years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKaXbEFcSVg

• Efrain Goody

April 22, 2022 at 1:58 pm

@Peter Jorgensen I like that desert one! It gives off some chill vibes, ironically. 😉
      I’m guessing that those are supposed to be 60w panels, so that system should be capable of pulling in around 800w or so of power. Decent.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 25, 2022 at 7:29 am

I think I had in mind for that setup 19x 100w sunpower panels to a battery box that would charge the Aptera via 120V J1772. The problem is the panels weigh 180 lbs and the box another 80 or so I believe. I didn’t know about the additional overhead capacity on the solar charge controller at the time. Not really practical but a cool idea.

• Fanfare 100

April 24, 2022 at 1:26 pm

Imagine wheel pants that can be extended down during highway use but raised before entering a rougher country road. Somehow, I don;t believe that that would be too much an engineering feat. Like, maybe, like a telescoping sleeve within a sleeve?

• Efrain Goody

April 24, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Check out ApteraOwnersClub’s video on the wheel pants. Their current design isn’t automatic, but it is pretty simple, and shouldn’t be much of a pain. Realistically, if you’re taking it off road regularly, you’d probably just leave it in that configuration unless you really needed max range for a road trip or something.

• Llewellyn Evans

April 22, 2022 at 3:24 pm

This could be off topic but now I want to see an Aptera on dirt ….. Obviously Aptera on a car track not a bike track.

This electric bike floggs IC bikes on the track and sounds like an electric chain saw. Until the battery gets too hot and starts limping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2eIkGN1KiA

• Efrain Goody

April 24, 2022 at 1:43 pm

Lol, it was pretty great, except that he was riding for less than half an hour before the battery gave out… EVs are great and all, but you really have to be able to carry enough juice to last for as long as you’re going to need it.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Efrain Goody.
  • Nolan Parsons

April 24, 2022 at 8:13 am

I’m curious if the off-road option will have any impact on the range, if raising it will affect the drag.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

April 24, 2022 at 11:02 am

Aptera has stated that it will increase the drag coefficient and reduce the mileage.

• Efrain Goody

April 24, 2022 at 1:36 pm

I heard that it will impact range by 8%.

*Edit: This is actually not true. I was mistaken.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 24, 2022 at 2:11 pm

To be clear that is ~8% when driving on normal roads.

If driving the Aptera (or any other vehicle) on rough dirt roads the range will plummet as the coefficient of road friction can be massive (think washboard or roads where your head is hitting the roof every 10 seconds). Depending on the road this could be roughly 3x – 5x less range if its a muddy uneven road at 35 mph.
        Note: A coefficient of rolling resistance of normal tires on pavement is ~0.01 for the average car (slightly less with eco / narrow wheels). Washboard/Gravel is ~0.04 and mud is ~0.08 (obviously plenty of grades of each but as a rough average).

• Efrain Goody

April 24, 2022 at 2:19 pm

@Curtis Cibinel Of course! As a basic example of what even small changes in rolling resistance does to battery performance, I have an ebike that used to get around 20 miles of range on a single charge, but now it only gets around 5-6. Why? I changed the tires to airless foam tires. The rolling resistance went up, and the range went way down.

• Nolan Parsons

April 26, 2022 at 3:13 am

So between the off-road and the awd option it’s probably a good idea to opt for the 600 mile battery. Will do

• Efrain Goody

April 24, 2022 at 2:21 pm

Also, I take that back. The 8% was for something else. I don’t think that they have the numbers for the change in range with the offroad changes to the wheel pants.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 25, 2022 at 7:30 am

I heard 10% but that was before they started looking at interchangeable ends of a single pant design.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now