Off Road package info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Off Road package info

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Off Road package info

• Off Road package info

Posted by Richard Marks on August 14, 2021 at 10:41 am

Does the Off Road option decrease range?

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  John Trotter. Reason: Title expanded for search clarity
    Mike-Mars replied 2 weeks ago 28 Members · 43 Replies
  • 43 Replies
  • Off Road package info

Mike-Mars updated 2 weeks ago 28 Members · 43 Replies
  • len

August 14, 2021 at 12:10 pm

We don’t know yet, weight and what all will be offered. We heard the AWD could be a 10% hit

• Wildman

August 16, 2021 at 5:18 pm

I’m thinking about adding the off road option. Does anyone know what the ground clearance will be from the bottom of the wheel cover to the ground after the option?

• len

August 16, 2021 at 6:58 pm

This has been answered already…

Since the std GC is 5” at bottom of the wheel covers and the belly is 9”. They hope to realize 2” additional to this GC, BUT until they do it there is no spec.

• Richard Marks

September 30, 2021 at 7:17 pm

Still haven’t seen whether the off road option decreases driving range.

• len

September 30, 2021 at 7:51 pm

It depends what is included and “what all that” weighs

We have read about a a 1% range hit for ever 30#…

Time will tell.. Hopefully in one of the remaining development vehicles… they will outfit one?

You don’t have to commit to that kit until your order come due…

• don-rasky

November 18, 2021 at 12:11 pm

I would like to use the Aptera to explore the many fire roads that lead to campsites in Southern California. I would also like to travel regardless of weather be it rain or snow. Given these interests, I am curious how much of a loss in range I will incur by adding a rear wheel motor and/or the off-road package. I LOVE THE APTERA CONCEPT. I just want to get my order right.

• curtis-cibinel

November 18, 2021 at 12:24 pm

The rough estimate is 10% for AWD and 10% for off-road. Cabin heating would also cut into this as will being nice to the battery (trying to stay in the 20-80% range most of the time). As I similarly will use these packages and drive in winter I simply take the range in miles and assume it will be my real world range in km (for me the 400 mile/km version is still good).

• don-rasky

November 23, 2021 at 12:09 pm

I understand that with the off road package that the Aptera gets a slight lift to 9″ and more sturdy wheel covers. Does anyone know if the suspension gets any beefier or if it might increase the load bearing capacity of the Aptera? If it’s just the lift kit and the more sturdy wheel covers, not sure it will really help me much with local potholes, rough country fire roads, and the occasional visit to snow country.

• peter-jorgensen

November 23, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Not sure. The beta suspension uses coilovers so it may be just raising the coilovers all the way up and swapping out the wheel pants to tougher ones with more clearance.

Here are some fan renders of possible ideas of what that might look like.

• joshua-caldwell

November 24, 2021 at 6:26 am

I’m doing the off road version thanks to my employer, we park in a dirt lot that keeps getting huge potholes and our employer rarely grades it flat again, only twice in 5 years that I can recall that happening. (by huge, the potholes get nearly car sized over the years, going down a foot or more, and fills with water, so if you don’t know it’s there, you have a problem getting out of the mud hole)

• Leaver

January 9, 2022 at 4:31 pm

I too have the off-road package ordered with AWD in the hopes for more ground clearance (and not just more clearance on the wheel pants). I live in remote Alaska, where most local “roads” are dirt and gravel, and, as I write, we have 5 feet of snow on the ground with more falling. So yeah… I need every bit of extra clearance I can get. Fingers crossed that the off-road package will be less aesthetic and more practical.

• BUG

January 20, 2022 at 6:49 am

While I have spent a fair amount of Time Driving Off-Road, I am not thinking that this Vehicle is well suited for Much more than Easy stuff.

Any Situation where wheel ruts are deep for Bog-Standard 4X4s, The Aluminum Underbelly is at risk on the APTERA. Deep Snow driving risks “High Centering the Underbelly,or giving it a scrub.

Even My Driveway here in the Glorious NorthBest poses a problem, at least until I have negotiated it enough times to Wear off the Moss in the Center of the Lane.

Maybe a better Nomenclature would be “Traction Limited” or “Sport” model?

• len

January 20, 2022 at 7:54 am

I don’t think they ever intended as a 3-WD All- terrain vehicle…

I live off primitive roads ( which are graded regularly ) which is why I have Off Road “ kit “✔️ but I am not sure I really need it yet.

I sure want the std fairings over the wheel for the majority of my paved road driving

I need to understand range loss for the Off road option etc

I am ok with ~ 10% range loss for AWD “if” that becomes reality

The paved roads in the big city down here in the SW have more potholes😔

• jason-best

January 20, 2022 at 9:10 am

Can someone point out an official source of what is meant by “off-road” option for an Aptera? I’ve done a few searches and the only results point to Community discussions. Also, when I go to my reservation order and try to modify it, I don’t see any off-road option.

Edit: I found the link to the FAQ Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Of3g6RYqstbXecs7j2UHHd_b8s5MebxEs-ZwkyMiiQ/edit?usp=sharing) which has some questions and responses about the off-road options but it’s not clear who provided the responses. But it does seem that “off-road” is not a settled feature or spec but likely a combination of suspension modifications/adjustabililty and modification of the wheel fairings for greater clearance. I still haven’t found anything that I’d consider official.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Jason Best. Reason: Adding FAQ URL and comments
  • bojan-majdandzic

January 25, 2022 at 6:54 am

On asking Aptera about the off-road kit I got this answer:

The off-road package will have at least a 7″ clearance. However, this may change as we continue to test. We will be releasing more figures on our off-roading capability in the future as we do. The kit comes with a different style of wheel pants that are configurable for off-road and the body of the vehicle is raised, as well as the wheel covers to guard against curb and rock damage.
    Raising the wheel pants a bit gives you a little tougher stance and we’re still working on suspension mods, but there may also be ways to lock out the rear and raise and lower the suspension, and we’ll get to that over time. The suspension MAY be adjustable for the off-road kit, but please stay tuned.

• efra

April 22, 2022 at 9:50 am

Hi, we’ve all probably seen the alpha and beta vehicles being driven around their little demonstration loop in the city, and have gotten a fairly good idea of how the vehicle handles city driving, with smooth roads, speed bumps, and an occasional pot hole. But Aptera seems confident that the vehicle will handle great off road and in winter conditions.

I would love to see one of the test vehicles taken out to the mountains. How does it handle gravel? Dirt? Mud? Steep grades? Sharp turns? What about a bit of snow or ice? Sure, I get that the torque vectoring isn’t ironed out completely yet, so really harsh environments might be avoided, but I’d bet that one of the employees would love to take it out on the weekend for a bit of rugged fun.
    Just be sure to film it for us!

• peter-jorgensen

April 22, 2022 at 11:59 am

I can’t wait to see this. For now photoshop will have to do…

• Jrom

June 21, 2022 at 12:31 pm

I am searching for more information about the Offroad Package. I live in Montana with over 53,000 miles of unpaved roads. I would love if the offroad package was simply a push-button that raises the wheel covers to an offroad height. This would give us the best of both worlds for paved and offroad driving. cheers!

• kerbe2705

June 21, 2022 at 12:48 pm

@Jrom From what we’ve heard, it’s not going to be a selectable setting: There will be permanent changes to the suspension, front wheel pants and rear wheel skirt.

• john-trotter

June 21, 2022 at 4:10 pm

In a visit a couple of weeks ago I asked about Offroad details. The folks in Carlsbad said they were working on it and expect to release a better description in September. Until then, all we really have is the small description of the option: “More ground clearance and tougher wheel covers so you can take your Aptera off-road.” My 2cents was that adjustable ground clearance has been more trouble than it was worth on the two cars I have had with that feature. If handling is OK with just “more ground clearance”, that’s what I would prefer. Actually, I don’t think wheel pants clearance is as significant as belly clearance. (No jokes, please.)

• dave-bassage

January 30, 2023 at 9:11 am

I emailed this question to Aptera but haven’t heard back yet.

I modified my reservation to the launch edition, which for me simply meant dropping from the 600 mile to 400 mile version, but saw off road and camping mods included as options still. Do we know if they are both available for the launch edition?

I don’t intend to do serious off road use, but living in West Virginia rugged roads are common so I’d like to be prepared.

• stewart-ruth

January 30, 2023 at 9:36 am

I want the exact same configuration, so I would also like to have your question answered. I live in Vermont with a gravel driveway.

• dave-bassage

January 31, 2023 at 8:40 pm

I got my answer from Aptera: “ We will be sharing more information regarding our add-on packages and what will be available and when once we are nearer the time of production”

So I’ve got my launch edition ordered, won’t be first in line unless I hit the powerball soon, but I guess we’ll learn later which options might be available. I’m pretty sure I can manage without the off road if I have to, just have to be more selective navigating.

• howard-sharp

February 14, 2023 at 11:30 am

I understand that the Launch edition is what it is – no substitutions, but I’d like more information on the future off – road version. Apparently it will require ‘extra engineering’ for the suspension. Does this mean that the launch edition won’t be compatible with future off -road ‘kits’? Or will it not be a kit, but rather a different animal altogether? And what will it look like? I think the regular version will cope with most of what rural Maine has to throw at it, but I would like the opportunity to retrofit if I can.

• miahallen

March 7, 2023 at 1:57 pm

Has Aptera posted any details about the planned “off-road” option? Is it only a tire change? Or will it also include ride-height and/or suspension changes? I live on a rough, steep driveway, and I’d be happy with the launch edition — if it could handle my driveway…

• miahallen

March 7, 2023 at 2:40 pm

For anyone else looking for the same info, it looks like there will be ride height (+2″) & suspension changes, as well as potential material changes for the wheel covers to make them more durable.

• Gozer

March 8, 2023 at 9:18 pm

Aptera has a rendition of the Off Road Kit on this website. Click to the Vehicle page and scroll to the bottom where it says: All weather. Any time. With all-wheel-drive and vectorized torque control, snow, ice, sand, and gravel are no problem.

Now look at the vehicles wheel pants, more ground clearance with cladding. Everyone looks at the tent.

My opinion is no changes to ride height or suspension, just ground clearance and toughness.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Glenn Langit.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Glenn Langit.
  • scotty

January 9, 2024 at 7:37 am

I wish that the off-road option was available for their launch edition. I would my order. I live on a dirt road, and certain parts of the year, the road is very rough. Really not an option for me….

Page 1 of 2

or to reply.