Official beta renders up on Instagram.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Official beta renders up on Instagram.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Official beta renders up on Instagram.

• Official beta renders up on Instagram.

• Joel Smith

February 26, 2022 at 12:34 pm

Pretty similar to the leaked image.

Some things that caught my attention:

Yoke steering wheel

Second smaller screen directly in front of the steering wheel

Deeper cargo area

Door hinging and pull changes. Doesn’t look like the hinges are actually rendered properly

Thinner at the rear corners.

• Joel Smith

February 26, 2022 at 12:36 pm

Scroll to the bottom of the community page to see them.

• Lou Verner

February 26, 2022 at 1:15 pm

Thanks Joel! Additional observations: Digital side view cameras not visible – hope that doesn’t mean they’ve been eliminated. Yoke steering wheel not complete – no place to rest hand at top of wheel! Aptera logo on some sort of plate in middle of vehicle’s back – charging port? Seats still look “thin” to me with minimal bolsters – hopefully supportive enough, especially for larger frames!

• Lou Verner

February 26, 2022 at 1:21 pm

On second look perhaps digital camera on outside, but no screen inside, unless that would be projected on new smaller screen in front of steering wheel. And guessing plate with logo in rear is simply for license plate – definitely needed!

• John Malcom

February 26, 2022 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up

• Paul Kirchner

February 26, 2022 at 3:55 pm

I’m really liking the design refinements that have taken place from the Alpha days. It seems so much more real feeling.

• Pistonboy Delux

February 26, 2022 at 4:11 pm

Does this mean I have to join Instagram just to see the pictures?! Does anyone have a web address that nonmembers can look at? How about someone transferring the pictures to this forum. I hate to join social media just to see some pictures the corporation should have made available to us directly.

• Paul Kirchner

February 26, 2022 at 4:18 pm

No, like Joel says, it’s at the bottom of the community page. I do not do instagram but I could scroll through the images just fine.

• Pistonboy Delux

February 26, 2022 at 4:37 pm

The title of the thread refers to the website “Instagram”. I assumed he was meaning the community page at the Instagram website.

• Thomas Bushaw

February 26, 2022 at 4:48 pm
    • kerbe2705

February 26, 2022 at 5:18 pm

They also dropped on Facebook…

• Pistonboy Delux

February 26, 2022 at 4:48 pm

If they are going to force us to have a yoke steering wheel, at least make it attractive. This one is ugly.

Does this yoke have an airbag in it? Remember aptera said there was a problem with airbags to go into the steering wheel and thus we would probably have airbags in the restraining harness? Perhaps the extra time provided by the delay has made a difference.

I often like to drive with my left arm laying over the steering wheel. It certainly can’t happen with the yoke. This is not a vehicle for the good-ol-boys.

I always suspected they had some sort of agreement with Tesla. I wonder if Tesla is forcing them to use a yoke to make it more acceptable to the general public.

• kerbe2705

February 27, 2022 at 11:30 am

You’re being shown a partial view – just a profile: How can you determine from this that it’s ugly?

• Pistonboy Delux

February 27, 2022 at 2:34 pm

Because it is two different colors. The bottom is white and the top is dark gray. To me this is ugly. To some others, it may be beautiful. I wish the entire yoke would be one color, preferably dark gray. The white will show dirt from hands holding it.

• Pistonboy Delux

February 26, 2022 at 5:07 pm

I do not have a good feeling about the yoke. However, in fairness let me say this: You never really know if you will like something or not until you try it.

It looks like I will be trying the yoke, whether I want to or not.

• kerbe2705

February 26, 2022 at 5:20 pm

If it’s a 180° lock-to-lock situation, a yoke would be amazing: Spinning a yoke (like you need to spin most steering wheels to go lock-to-lock) is cumbersome.

• Titus Meusel

February 26, 2022 at 10:41 pm

Cool renders! I like the overall cleaner and lighter look, how the light sky is contrasting the dark grey cargo area. Much better than the previous dull midgrey sky.

Adding another screen ist probably more practical, but then we will have 5 screens in total emitting light. My feeling is this can be distracting esp. during a night drive – I wouldn’t mind if the centre screen shrinks as well then. And why is it that thick now?

Wonder what the oval shapes behind the seats are (storage compartments?, head rests?) and what the design changes of the rear number plate area are about.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Titus Meusel.
    • Peter Dezendorf

February 27, 2022 at 6:31 am

The size may be too big, but I like having a screen in front of the steering wheel. When I test drove a Tesla having the speed display far to the right was distracting. While driving, one’s scan is centered straight ahead, so having the speed showing there is better.

• kerbe2705

February 27, 2022 at 11:28 am

It’s funny how no one ever complained about the Prius or the Mini having the speedometer (and other displays) in the center of the dashboard and not directly in front of the steering wheel… With the Model 3 the pertinent information is still in the forward line-of-sight and can easily be seen without moving one’s head or even shifting one’s gaze – unless the driver’s seat is so far forward that their solar plexus is resting on the steering wheel…

• kerbe2705

February 27, 2022 at 11:25 am

@Titus Meusel…

I have yet to drive in any vehicle (ICE or EV) in which the screens don’t automatically switch to “night mode” – so the amount of light they generate isn’t any different than the amount light reflected by a mirror.

What you’re seeing on the seatbacks is a cut-out portion below the headrest, between the two pillars that support it.

We can’t be certain that this rendering reflects any of the current three color schemes: They are pink, black and gold while this rendering show a orange shade… I believe it’s more to display the new seatback shape and “waterfall” front edge of the seat cushion.

• Eric Miller

February 27, 2022 at 8:06 am

The car looks great. I’m not a fan of the yoke, but maybe I could get used to it, I’m not sure. I think the second screen adds unnecessary complexity, so I wish they’d stick with a single center screen to keep costs and production issues at bay. Of course we’re all just armchair quarterbacking, and I’m confident the Aptera team has considered all of this.

• John LaRocque

February 27, 2022 at 9:01 am

I’m guessing they’re ditching the side “mirror” screens in favor of the driver display, which could display both the “mirror” feeds and act as a gauge cluster. One of the renders on Instagram seems to show this (though the display is very washed out so it’s hard to see much; I might be reaching a bit).

If this is the case I think it’s a good move for both the possible cost savings and additional functionality.

• kerbe2705

February 27, 2022 at 11:21 am

It’s just the “camera angle” of the renderings: Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it isn’t there: Aptera has NO plans to “ditch” the side-view cameras and screens.

• Joseph DelVecchio

March 19, 2022 at 3:34 pm

I would have to disagree. The render showing the interior through the open driver’s side door clearly lack the mirrors (at least as they were placed in alphas and initial renders).

• Pistonboy Delux

February 27, 2022 at 2:53 pm

John: If I understand you correctly, you are saying they will have one display in front of the driver with the left side of the display showing the left “mirror” picture and the right side of the same display showing the right “mirror” picture. I hope the center of the screen will show things like speedometer, turn signal blinking lights, etc.

Thus the driver does not have to turn their head left or right as previously.

This is a very good idea.

• Eric Miller

February 28, 2022 at 3:32 am

@John, I think you’re right. They may actually introduce LESS complexity by dropping the two side mirror screens and replacing them with a single screen in front of the driver.

• John Smith

February 27, 2022 at 9:55 am

I wouldn’t get too concerned about a yoke shown in a rendering. I doubt that Aptera is going to have progressive steering. I find it interesting that Consumers Reports has down graded Tesla because of the yoke. We’ll just have to wait and see.

• kerbe2705

February 27, 2022 at 11:33 am

I agree: Aptera hasn’t quite figured out that providing limited or partial information causes users to jump to conclusions. I recall when images of SOL with its window down prompted an outcry that “Aptera has no windows!”

• Curtis Cibinel

February 27, 2022 at 11:56 am

Consumer Reports has no credibility as a brand anymore. They are just another shill organization looking for reasons to bash Tesla.

Honestly not sure how I feel about the yoke; I actually have more concerns with the random looking two tone white than the shape. The alpha wheel was a great compromise between wheel and yoke. I would definitely prefer it to be black with the logo in the middle.

• John Malcom

February 27, 2022 at 1:43 pm

I think a few more turns of rendering before we see what a production ready vehicle will look like. Still more changes to come from results of testing and supply chain reconciliation for production ready parts. Maybe incorporation of some ” Ideas” still in the engineering cycle and/or incorporation of decisions on tradeoffs not made until recently or to be made in the future.

The aesthetics will always be OK with me. It is the engineering of functionality/ performance I am interested in. these things are not shown in a rendering, only a specification. The final specs are a ways off so I need to be patient.

• Joel Smith

February 27, 2022 at 1:17 pm

Joshua has shared the AOC YouTube channel review of these images in another thread

https://aptera.us/community/discussion/aptera-new-beta-design/

Couple more new things came to my attention in that context:

I think someone already mentioned the extra PV cells in the front hood as shown in the previously leaked beta render. Those are sure in self evidence in the new shots. Looks like a whole additional row across. That improved maximal use of available surface area should improve the opinions of those who criticized the seeming deficiencies in this regard on the Alphas. More power from the sun is surely good.

The door catch on the frame is now enclosed, where it was conspicuously bolted onto the surface before.

Looks like the divider in the door windows is now thicker. Can’t say that I like that implication. Would hope that it could be minimized rather than beefed up.

The seat belts are clipped to rest on the edge of the seats rather than hanging behind. Looks neater. Not sure if that makes them easier to use.

Aptera New Beta Design

• kerbe2705

February 27, 2022 at 11:29 pm

The missing image!

• John Malcom

February 28, 2022 at 2:28 am

Interesting that in the videos of the moose beta testing, there is a round steering wheel used vigorously to negotiate the curves. Not a yoke.

• Steven G. Bueche

February 28, 2022 at 3:15 am

I can live with the yoke. I also like the little center cluster.

The one thing I don’t like about the Tesla is the missing center cluster. I’m always over the speed limit because I can’t readily see how fast I’m going without looking right.

Not crazy about the seat styling design but hey, it’s just a car and it will be covered with my butt. It does however seem out of place with the outside styling.

Either way if there’s anything I don’t like in the final design I’ll change it when it gets delivered. That’s the car guys credo.

• John Malcom

March 3, 2022 at 3:11 pm

Great practical outlook! Yep, we seldom like everything, but if we feel strongly about something we take the initiative to change it or just live with it

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

March 3, 2022 at 1:13 pm

casey putsch explains steering wheel in video called:

why corverte steering wheel is idiotic and what it should be

• Joseph DelVecchio

March 19, 2022 at 12:34 pm

I wish the renders showed better some of the more dramatic changes (such as the new front screen). I assume that will replace the mirrors on each side, as it appears the renders still do not have homologation-satisfying mirrors. Just a strange choice of images when a 3D render allows for infinite choices.

Viewing 1 - 16 of 16 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now