On purchase wait lit but in Canada?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions On purchase wait lit but in Canada?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions On purchase wait lit but in Canada?

• On purchase wait lit but in Canada?

Brent D. updated 39 minutes ago 8 Members · 19 Posts
  • John Higgison

February 19, 2022 at 5:10 pm

Hi.. hopefully this wasnt covered but i couldnt find anything.. If I pre-order an Aptera but I live in Canada what happens if they arent even making them for canada? Does anyone know if Aptera has any solid plans for when it might have cars in canada?

• BRUCE MENGLER

February 19, 2022 at 5:34 pm

Three questions immediately come to mind.

1. Does Canada or your province have an “autocycle” vehicle classification?

2. Will you need a motorcycle license to operate the Aptera?

3. Will you need to wear a motorcycle helmet to operate the Aptera?

• Bob Kirchner

February 20, 2022 at 12:41 pm

Also, any vehicle imported to Canada will have to meet Transport Canada specifications and be certified by them. Those specs differ in small details from US regulations.

• kerbe2705

February 19, 2022 at 9:08 pm

There’s nothing in writing about international deliveries but they’ve said that they plan to start “close to home” so that they can observe/repair any problems as they occur. I get the impression that they plan to fill US orders first before heading across borders and overseas.

We know that they intend to fulfill the Paradigm orders first and then begin producing the 400 mile variant (the most-ordered version). Once that’s underway they’ll start building the 250 mile version, followed by the 600 and then, eventually, the 1000 until they fulfill all the orders.

• Curtis Cibinel

February 19, 2022 at 9:31 pm

Realistically canadian buyers (I’m one of them) shouldnt expect anything until 2024. It will initially be close to home then other states. Canada is very close to US road rules so localization is almost a non-issue. The only major gotcha is that as I understand driving in or through Alberta requires a motorcycle license; hope the stupid laws get fixed.

• Joshua Rosen

February 20, 2022 at 5:16 am

Got the same problem in Massachusetts, current law requires an motorcycle license. There is a bill in the legislature that would fix this but it’s now been referred to committee along with a bunch of other bills including one that would make things worse by requiring helmets for autocycles.

• Bob Kirchner

February 20, 2022 at 12:34 pm

Also, I think I saw somewhere on these fora that Ontario requires a helmet. The three-wheel laws were written with vehicles like the Bombardier Spyder in mind.

I’m not even sure where to begin to find out the requirements for Nova Scotia. A requirement to have a Motorcycle endorsement wouldn’t be a problem for me since I have one, despite not having ridden since 1982, but it would be a deal breaker for my 68 year old spouse who will not risk breaking bones for any car.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Bob Kirchner.
      • Curtis Cibinel

February 20, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Hmm you might be right (just tried to find it). Hopefully as enclosed autocycles become more common these rules get fixed because it seems insane to wear a helmet in an enclosed vehicle. Its understandable when talking about a Polaris slingshot or Can-am Spyder but not something like an Aptera, Spiritus or Solo. Carver would be debatable but it is enclosed…

Actual Law: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/160028

• John Higgison

February 21, 2022 at 11:46 am

This is what Im thinking about… I hope they have at least started a dialogue with appropriate regulators in certain states and provinces. It would certainly be in their best interest. I desperately want an Aptera but if I have to abide by some idiotic law and wear a helmut I’ll be looking at a tesla instead.

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
    February 23, 2022 at 11:59 am

Hi everyone! We’re working with regulators to comply with the regulations in Canada so that we may begin selling it there in early 2023-2024, but we’re still working through our production schedule and this could be sooner. We are currently focusing on the finalization of our production-intent vehicle in the States; however, we will provide you with updates on the timing on your Aptera account page as we begin to ramp production. We’re excited to bring the Aptera vehicle to Canada and see no issue with receiving approval from Transport Canada. As more information is finalized, we will share it with all Aptera preorder holders in Canada. We are very grateful for the support we have received there. We’ll keep you updated on progress and timing as we continue our Beta phase of SEV development. Please let us know if you have any questions!

• John Higgison

February 23, 2022 at 12:38 pm

Thank you for your reply!!! 🙂 Good news!

• Brent D.

May 9, 2022 at 1:05 pm

I reside in Alberta and emailed the Government of Alberta Department of Transportation (DOT) and was told that under current regulations, the Aptera would be considered a motorcycle (or a motor tricycle or three-wheeled vehicle), and would require a helmet and a class 6 (motorcycle) license! The DOT also stated: “the manufacturer needs to work with Transport Canada to get their vehicle allowed into the country by proving they meet whatever standards apply to their vehicle”.

Hopefully, Aptera will provide updates with regard to meeting Canadian DOT standards.

Also, are there any plans to get the Aptera on the list of EV vehicles that qualify for a $5000 CAD rebate? See: https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/innovative-technologies/zero-emission-vehicles/list-eligible-vehicles-under-izev-program

Thanks in advance.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 9, 2022 at 2:10 pm

iZev is limited to 4 wheel vehicles that are sold by dealers. Some provincial programs exist but that is a dice roll as few exist for “electric motorcycles”; very likely most EV incentives will start disappearing soon since demand is a non-issue. Hopefully the alberta rules get fixed because otherwise even having an Aptera in BC will be limited since you wouldn’t be able to drive through Alberta without a helmet / motorcycle license. Ontario has similar stupidity.

• Brent D.

May 9, 2022 at 8:08 pm

That is the rub — how do we “fix” the rules? Does Aptera have to pass some test here in Alberta that will classify the vehicle as something other than a motorcycle? Anything we (Albertans) can do to help?

Willing to drive an Aptera around the parliament buildings without a helmet until someone takes notice — shouldn’t take to long; Just ship me an early production vehicle! 🙂

• Curtis Cibinel

May 9, 2022 at 9:00 pm

Realistically if any significant number of vehicles could leverage these programs they will run out of money and just remove them. Grant/Credit programs for EVs in all jurisdictions are likely to disappear or fade soon.

Strong lobbying efforts for fixing the rules are needed. This takes money and strong understanding. I don’t think Alberta or the other holdouts intend to really have unique automotive rules but with virtually no enclosed autocycles made in the last 30 years it is a regulatory flaw with no priority. I don’t think any of these fixes will have any opposition. Its a bit of a “chicken and the egg” getting a change to rules for a vehicle which “doesn’t exist” yet.

• Brent D.

May 11, 2022 at 1:34 pm

I emailed the government with regard to Aptera and the iZEV program (if it would qualify), below is their reply:

———————-

Hello,

The iZEV Program was created to reduce emissions from cars and light trucks, which produce about 50% of transportation-related greenhouse gas emissions in Canada. With this goal in mind, the Program requires vehicles to have at least four functioning wheels and be highway capable, intended for use on public streets, roads, and highways, and meet all Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in order to receive an incentive.

Thank you,

iZEV Program / Programme iVZE

iZEV-iVZE@tc.gc.ca

Phone: 1-800-OCanada (1-800-622-6232) / TTY: 1-800-926-9105

canada.ca/zero-emission-vehicles / canada.ca/vehicules-zero-emission

———————-

• Bob Kirchner

May 11, 2022 at 1:42 pm

So Aptera meets three out of four conditions, then. It’s a shame that the one characteristic least relevant to the stated goal of reducing transportation-related greenhouse gasses- number of wheels, was included in the regulations. Probably changing that may have to take place at the level of legislation, rather than at the regulatory level. That will depend on how the legislation was written.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 11, 2022 at 2:33 pm

It is definitely unfair but given these programs existed to increase EV demand and create a an economic/demand advantage vs ICE they are kinda pointless now. I’m not saying I would say no to saving on my Aptera but their is no longer much reason for the government to subsidize EVs. It is very likely iZev and similar programs (ie the US $7500 tax credit) will begin to get phased out soon; they are no longer needed to achieve their intended goal and they are VERY expensive. Elon said Tesla will stop taking orders for a while because they have too much demand backlog (not sure what this really solves).

• Brent D.

May 21, 2022 at 8:51 am

I posted updated at:

https://aptera.us/community/discussion/ev-rebates-in-canada-information/

According to the Government of Canada Transportation site:
    Funding of $92,919,522 was provided on April 1, 2022, to continue the iZEV Program. Budget 2022 provides an additional $1.6 billion to continue the Program until March 31, 2025. This funding will become available once Budget 2022 is approved.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/innovative-technologies/zero-emission-vehicles/program-statistics

• This reply was modified 39 minutes ago by  Brent D..
    • This reply was modified 38 minutes ago by  Brent D..

EV Rebates in Canada / Information …

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now