One large display vs two separate displays

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions One large display vs two separate displays

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions One large display vs two separate displays

• One large display vs two separate displays

Y Z updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago 12 Members · 17 Posts
  • Qiang Fu

July 16, 2022 at 12:23 pm

The Gamma version has a dashboard display for the sideview monitors. Personally, I prefer a single long display similar to those in BMW i4 or Ioniq, than tesla’s center display. Feel safer with a display higher up to help keeping the eyes on the road. What do you guys think?

• Steven G. Bueche

July 16, 2022 at 12:30 pm

I thought there was going to be the center display in front of the steering wheel for left and right mirrors. they should either be constantly on or come on when you use the turn signal. Meantime they could function as a regular display giving minimal information (Speed, Charge level etc.)

• Jerry Freter

July 16, 2022 at 12:59 pm

I like having a small side mirror-like display near the sides of the car. MY current car I am used to looking in the mirror on the right, then turning my head a bit to ensure no one is in my blindspots, then changing lanes. It doesn’t seem natural right now to look at the center of the dash to see the right or left camera view. I think I would adapt. I am finally used to my backup camera and trusting it more than I did. It only took 3 years with my current car

• Steven G. Bueche

July 17, 2022 at 5:02 am

I completely understand. In Georgia current law states that for a proper lane change you must signal, check your mirrors and then look to see if anyone’s in your blind spot.

I’ve gotten used to my cameras but still catch myself wanting to look. Even without the rear hatch covered, the B pillar would block most if not all of your vision. Let’s hope we can adopt and the field of view on the side cameras have this covered. I’ll keep the stock mirrors on until I’ve adapted.

• Y Z

July 19, 2022 at 12:21 pm

I like that idea as well. It’s more intuitive and promotes the good habit of checking the blind spots

• Qiang Fu

July 16, 2022 at 3:15 pm

I heard you, Jerry. Looking for sideviews in the middle does appear unnatural at least in the beginning. Maybe a long screen with sideviews on either end will help.

I saw this Honda concept EV back in 2017 (link below). The exterior looks plain at best, but two interior features I like: 1. the long single screen; 2. the front benchseat – I think the front benchseat may be the easiest way to make a three-seater Aptera even though the middle seat may just be for a small kid.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/honda-urban-ev-concept/

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Qiang Fu.
    • Arlen Bell

July 16, 2022 at 3:58 pm

I have a feeling that center console is a tunnel for electrical and also probably a duct from the windshield air intake to the exhaust vents in the rear.

• Qiang Fu

July 17, 2022 at 10:26 am

I know, Arlen. Chance of getting a three-person benchseat is probably zero even if it’s physically possible and the company is rightfully focusing on setting up production for current design. I do wish that Aptera may offer it as an option in the future when the company is on a solid footing. Personally, I would pay for an option like that for the utility it may provide, and I think it may broaden the market for Aptera.

• kerbe2705

July 16, 2022 at 9:37 pm

@Qiang Fu I like the idea of a wider screen with the side-view images at either end instead of in the center. As there’s no rear-view mirror, why bother simulating one? Why not put the rear-view screen directly in front of the driver with the side-view screens flanking it!

• Qiang Fu

July 17, 2022 at 10:41 am

@kerbe2705 I agree, no need for a rearview mirror/display if the image can be shown on the long screen.

• Bob Kirchner

July 17, 2022 at 2:35 pm

Alternatively, put the rear and side views together at the top centre of the windscreen where the traditional inside rearview mirror would be, instrument screen in front of the driver and control screen in the centre.

• Bart Cunningham

July 17, 2022 at 3:13 am

I think a workable idea may be to increase the size of the rearview mirror to include the side view mirror areas as well. This could leave the above steering wheel display for status monitoring, speed, driving directions, etc…

• Joshua Rosen

July 17, 2022 at 7:39 am

It’s going to be two sideview displays in front of the driver plus a center display. That’s what they’ve been showing and that’s what they have been writing software for. It’s too late to change now. No point in asking for anything else, their UI people need to focus on getting something out the door as quickly as possible. It’s July, they want to ship the first car in December, not a lot of time.

• kerbe2705

July 17, 2022 at 9:09 am

@Joshua Rosen – Aptera acquired an entire UI company so I doubt that there’s any great rush to get something out the door. To meet their date, all they need to do is to deliver one vehicle by 11:59 PM on December 31…

• Llewellyn Evans

July 18, 2022 at 3:47 am

It may be that they are using two screens because of availability and price. Two off the shelf screens may be easier to source or cheaper than one big custom screen.

• Efrain Goody

July 18, 2022 at 8:21 am

A reason for having one screen per camera that I haven’t heard yet is that it could make the video feed more reliable and less laggy.

• Selvan Poothamby

July 18, 2022 at 1:01 pm

Three separate displays, one for the left, one for the right, and one wider one in-between for the rear.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now