Solar Panel Discussion

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Panel Discussion

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Panel Discussion

• Solar Panel Discussion

Ray Holan updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • Ray Holan

August 20, 2022 at 1:28 pm

Solar panels, that is.

I am anticipating a slight increase in my power demands once I take delivery on my Aptera. In its current configuration, my modest rooftop solar system consisting of 18 panels just barely meets my household needs here in NE Ohio (not prime solar production location) without charging an EV.

I got to wondering how many EXTRA panels I might need to add to my system to cover the 12K miles I think I’ll drive the Aptera annually. Sure, I could just charge the Aptera with utility grid power, but I was curious what it might take to go pure solar. I’m fairly certain the cheaper way to go is to charge from the grid, but as a theoretical exercise, I wanted to determine how many panels would let me go full solar. In my area, I won’t be getting anywhere near the 40 miles of charge per day promised by the cells on a fully optioned Aptera.

Came across this video that addresses the question of how many panels are needed to charge an EV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFB_UA9LquY&t=329s

The video walks through the calculation of a guesstimate for 3 different EV’s including a Tesla Model 3, Ford Mustang Mach E, and a Lucid Air Grand. All of these are nowhere near the Aptera’s efficiency, but make for an intriguing comparison.

Here’s a screenshot from the video that gets to the heart of the matter:

• This discussion was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  John Trotter. Reason: Title expanded for search clarity

• Russell Fauver

August 20, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Everyone’s case will be different depending on miles driven, grid pricing schemes, etc. I’m a big fan of Aptera due to the self charging feature. For the past several years I would add to my array every time added an electric appliance, keeping my grid usage at net zero. A while back my power company started charging me a monthly fee for each panel I have that is connected to their grid. So I can never reach 100% savings with grid tied solar. Again, that’s why I love the idea of owning an Aptera, I should be able to connect solar directly to the vehicle and skip the monthly payments to the electric company.

• Ray Holan

August 20, 2022 at 4:04 pm

Point taken, Russell. There’s always the direct charging route of several panels plugged into the promised MC4 outlet in the Aptera itself.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now