Parking width?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Parking width?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Parking width?

• Parking width?

• Sam Thaya

April 18, 2022 at 9:47 pm

I saw a video where the Aptera front two wheels drove over both sides of the parking lines of a parking lot. Are the wheels wider than “regular cars”. I do worry that there might not be enough room to open the doors without avoiding dinging the car next to you.

here is the clip I was talking about: https://youtu.be/69_iKArvJBk?t=145

• John Malcom

April 18, 2022 at 10:36 pm

The width of the front wheels is 88 inches. Width needed for aero efficiency and stability. The width fits within a standard parking space. See the grocery shopping video

• Curtis Cibinel

April 18, 2022 at 11:56 pm

Also worth noting is that the body is substancially narrower than the wheels pods (maybe 65-70 inches). The doors should functionally be no more difficult in parking than traditional cars.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

April 19, 2022 at 2:14 am

The doors open in an arc, at its widest point it is only a few inches beyond the wheel pants.

• Joshua Rosen

April 19, 2022 at 7:01 am

The width is much wider than regular cars and even trucks, the F250 is only 80″ wide, the Hummer (the freaking Hummer) is 87″. I’m not worried about the doors, the body is narrow and doors have plenty of space. I’m worried about the wheels getting crunched by the cars parking on either side.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Joshua Rosen.
    • Preston of Rockville

April 20, 2022 at 6:59 am

Was wondering the same thing, spent an hour last night researching the wheel span on similar vehicles and trucks.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 19, 2022 at 7:31 am
  • Scott Price

April 19, 2022 at 7:52 am

As Peter noted in his helpful diagram, most US parking lots are designed to have parking spaces in the 8.5-9 foot range, though some are allowed to go down to 7.5 feet (especially for tight urban locations, parking garages, and for spaces marked “compact”). The video snip that Sam mentioned likely shows the Aptera pulling into a compact parking space since the Aptera is 7.3 feet wide and therefore just barely fits into a minimum size parking space.

For me, I plan to just not park in compact spots whenever possible and am fine to park a bit further out on a parking lot’s periphery where there is more likely to be a bit more open space around a vehicle. There should be plenty of space around an Aptera for a full size parking spot. Also, the wheel pants are forward and don’t line up with other cars’ doors, so the chances of a door-induced ding are reduced. Mostly just need to be aware of adjacent cars swinging in and out of their spots, and that can be alleviated by normal nose-in parking (so the wheel pants are further away from where adjacent cars are swinging and turning).

• Joshua Caldwell

April 19, 2022 at 8:26 am

Either that, or be like the folks with new expensive vehicles and park with the lot line going down the center of the vehicle, or be like an a-hole and take up 4 parking spaces. (2 forward, 2 behind)

• John Malcom

April 19, 2022 at 9:17 am

Good common sense approach. Walking a little wouldn’t hurt any of us

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  John Malcom. Reason: corrected spelling
      • Thomas Shimer

May 3, 2022 at 1:56 pm

Except most people that do this with expensive cars do this in the front row of parking spaces, LOL

• Leonard Diasio

April 19, 2022 at 9:57 am

Regarding wheel pants: Aptera claims the driver can see both wheel pants. There was even a segment of a video to prove this. But by studying the video, I could not see the right side wheel pants. Being able to see both pants would eliminate the problem of driving/maneuvering by guessing. Was anybody else able to spot both pants?

• Curtis Cibinel

April 19, 2022 at 10:28 am

Steve from Aptera Owners club said you cannot see the opposite side’s wheel pants. A forward/down facing camera system especially for the passenger side would be a huge help especially for parallel parking. If nothing is built-in it probably wouldn’t be hard to add this with an off the shelf backup camera.

• Sam Thaya

April 19, 2022 at 11:09 am

this is a good point you brought up. Hopefully the Aptera team will address the lack of visibility on the passenger-side wheel pants.

• John Voules

April 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm

More worrisome for me is street parking. Backing up and making final adjustment to wheels so as to be parallel with the curb will make it challenging not to hit the curb. If the vehicle was not as wide as it is….would be less of an issue., but it’s width requires you to be close to the curb. Otherwise you would protrude too far to be in a somewhat safe position, at least similar to other vehicles. City of Chicago and surrounding suburbs it is common to park as close to the curb and then fold your street side side view mirror. The elongated portion of the rear of the wheel pant will not allow you to be as close to the curb as possible. Not sure is the off-road pants would give me enough clearance either.

• Efrain Goody

May 3, 2022 at 10:54 am

It’s kind of surprising how quickly people get used to where their car is in relation to other objects. Before I started driving regularly, I thought that it would be really hard to drive in tight places without hitting things, but now, I am quite comfortable driving a variety of different vehicle shapes, from my little beater car to the big work truck at the farm where I work. I am sure that we’ll quickly get used to driving the Aptera, whether or not we can see the wheel pants.

My main concern is with other drivers driving large vehicles who are not familiar with the extended wheels on the Aptera. In parking lots and dense traffic, it’s pretty normal for drivers in my area to cut close to other cars. I am concerned that some idiot trying to get around me real quick may clip the side of the left wheel pant, which they would probably be unable to see while passing. Because the wheel pants turn with the wheels, this could cause me to lose control even worse than if they had just side swiped me.

I like the idea of having flags or streamers or something above the wheel pants that would be visible to people in big SUVs and trucks, but I am wondering how much something like that would increase drag.

• Patrick Liebknecht

April 24, 2022 at 3:13 pm

It just dawned on me that the H1 Hummer was 7 foot two wide which is 86 inches so the aptera is actually 2 inches wider than an H1 Hummer that I have seen barely fit in most parking spots

The average parking spot in the USA is 7’5” to 9’ or 89” to 108”.

If you get lucky and the spots are bigger. No issues , you get the skinny spots not so much

I’m with the people who are worried about getting their tires crunched by people who don’t know how to park , I had a lady take the mirror off my grand Cherokee at Walmart So the potential is there

I guess we will all be parking at the far end of the lot no matter where we go

• Ray Holan

April 24, 2022 at 4:02 pm

Strange to be in the same size category (i.e. width) as a Hummer!

• kerbe2705

April 24, 2022 at 5:00 pm

Not sure where you got those H1 figures but H1’s track width is 71.6″ and its body width is 86.5″. When you add the side mirrors, though, the H1 is 101″ wide: This is the dimension to which the Aptera should be compared: Overall width.

For reference, the body width of a Ford F-150 is 79.9″ while its overall width is 95.7″. The overall width of a Tesla Model S is 86.2″

• Patrick Liebknecht

April 24, 2022 at 5:12 pm

That’s what I get for asking Siri ?

Though your width puts it as 1.5” wider than an H1

• kerbe2705

April 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm

I’ll take what I can get, so long as it supports my argument! 😄

The point, though, is that we SHOULD be comparing width at the vehicle’s widest point: For four-wheelers, that’s going to be the side-view mirrors: Aptera’s mirror/camera stalks are within the width of the wheel pants.

No one has mentioned the very popular “dually” pickups – that have double rear wheels: These behemoths are frequently 102″ wide.

• Danny Mattijetz

April 24, 2022 at 10:51 pm

I went to see the Alpha model at the San Diego Automotive Museum today. The width did not seem that significant, but I didn’t get to test drive it and park it in a parking spot. In fact, I didn’t even get to sit in it. I guess until we do the driving ourselves, we won’t really know how significant it is. My overall impression was that it was smaller than the mental picture in my mind. Now it WAS the Alpha version and the Beta is a few inches longer. I’m not sure if it is four or six inches more. The depth of the storage area is four inches deeper, which I think will be good. We saw a video posted somewhere here where someone put a bicycle into it, but as I looked at it, I think it would be tight. There would be plenty of length, but the back end gets pretty shallow. The extra four inches of depth should make that a lot easier. As I was talking to the reps, it also sounds like there may be some additional external access to storage from the lower part of the body just behind the driver and passenger. That may vary with the selected battery size.

I specifically asked about the wobbly wheel pants. The response was that the pants in the current version are more thoroughly enclosed with additional support points. At least it sounds like they are aware of the issue and have addressed it in a way that makes it more solid.

There were some negatives too, but I have to stress the vehicle version again. Joints on the rear wheel skirt were really not too tight. One side looked like it wasn’t even screwed in properly. The other negative I noticed was the rippling solar cells. One or two of them looked damaged and some others seemed to not fit the curve of the vehicle. They were either lifting or were not glued down properly. I was told that this was their first display vehicle, so I suppose we can allow some leeway. I was also told that the later vehicles will be much smoother on the cells, so I’ll just keep that point as something to watch.

Overall, it was very exciting to see the vehicle up close. There needs to be more up-close-and-personal displays like that, but with the later versions. Getting to see it like that really stokes the fires. 2023 is so far away. Practice patience. Oooommmmmmmmm! I’d also cross my legs lotus style, but these old bones don’t go like that anymore. Come to think of it, I don’t think that they ever did.

• John Malcom

April 25, 2022 at 1:46 am

Thanks for this report with your observations. I am surprised they displayed the Noir. The Luna was the last alpha and appeared to be more finished.

Especially happy to hear your comment on the width of the front wheels. So much has been made about how wide they are. Your observation is a good perspective as a first time viewer of an actual Aptera albeit an early alpha.

We all agree with you. Would like to see more out and about Apterae. If you master the patience thing their are about 18,000 of us that would like to learn your trick.

• Patrick Liebknecht

April 25, 2022 at 11:56 am

The down side of having the wheels sticking out so far and so low speaks for its self , they are low and wide , most of your driving public was taught to use their mirrors to park , and those wheels are far lower than line of sight in mirrors of people backing up or pulling into a spot next to you.

Think of the aptera as a very wide formula 1 car or even wider canam spider.

When you see a formula 1 car crash the wheels go POOF ! And are gone .

My biggest fear is someone with little driving experience will take a wheel off while parking and that’s that for the car.

I will be parking at the back of the lot where I work and shop.

• Joshua Rosen

April 25, 2022 at 12:29 pm

They ought to add pop up flag poles that go up when you are parked so that people can see where the wheels are.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 25, 2022 at 1:56 pm

I like the idea of the wheel pods having solonoids to lift the wheel pants on demand. this would work for your parking scenario and be awesome for offroad. Hoping a good builder takes this idea and posts the designs for me to make myself.

• Jon_J

April 25, 2022 at 2:06 pm

Meh. I will park my Aptera in-between the lines that define the parking space. When I park, I’m focusing on the lines that define the parking space so that I can stay between them. Do others not park this way? If I pay attention to the lines, I’m surely not going to hit the wheels of the Aptera in the adjacent parking spot, particularly if those wheels are at the front of the space. When I navigate a parking lot, I don’t drive at odd angles through the spaces for fear of overlooking a concrete lamp post rampart, a handicap sign post, a curb, a concrete parking bumper or some other pesky object. This being the case, I sure shouldn’t be hitting any Aptera wheels. Do Plymouth Prowlers have an issue with bad drivers in parking lots? This “problem” seems like mountain out a molehill to me.

• Nolan Parsons

April 30, 2022 at 12:27 pm

With the quasi gullwing doors I figured I could use that visible driver’s side wheel and get as close to the line as possible on that side since I don’t have to worry about a rear wheel on the driver’s side.

• Leonard Diasio

April 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm

I am worried about the wheels/wheel pants myself. They are fragile. Other vehicles are nearly as wide or even wider, but they have the mass of the vehicle delineating their space. You can’t miss them, they’re huge vehicles. Aptera does not have that massive size going for it. Add to this the fact that there are brain-dead people out in public who will make a target out of wheel pants just for fun. I’ve seen them in action.

This tells me that my best recourse is to park away from the crowd and hope for the best. but also…a good video camera would come in mighty handy at this point.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 25, 2022 at 2:38 pm

From the Aptera Owners Club video they will have a impact foam on them that should be able to handle low speed impacts. Sounds like down facing vision and some impact EPA will be used so impacts should be less likely and the material will be able to bounce back from up to 1 meter per second (2.2 miles per hour – aka a slow walking pace).

https://youtu.be/WgRF_O4ilhM?t=510

• Patrick Liebknecht

April 26, 2022 at 12:46 pm

It’s not so much the damage to the pants. Though that would be expensive to repair. It’s the suspension that gets crushed when bad things happen.

Other notable 3 wheelers width

Polaris slingshot 78”

Vanderhall 68.9”

Morgan super3 , 72.4”

Camoagna T-Rex 77.9”

The front suspension needs to be super strong , or very cheap to repair and replace , or a simple “fender bender “ could total the car

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

April 26, 2022 at 2:13 pm

We won’t know till one finally occurs, but realistically thinking, any hit hard enough to shear off or heavily damage the front suspension, will likely compromise the molded body mount area as well, possibly requiring replacement of the main body and the suspension. (Solar panels, body panels, batteries, and electronics might survive, and since assembly is supposed to be fairly easy, might be transferred to a new chassis.)

• John Malcom

April 26, 2022 at 6:17 pm

The safety/collision testing of a near production ready Aptera will provide some insight into the amount of damage the Aptra will incur in various crash situations. The insurance companies will analyze this data to set rates for an Aptera and the criteria for declaring the vehicle totaled. Although there are many factors that go into the regression equation for rates, the one with the greatest impact is cost to repair.

I currently drive a Model 3 and my insurance company (USAA) tells me my insurance rates are higher because of the high cost to repair Teslas. Thanks Elon😡

• Patrick Liebknecht

April 29, 2022 at 8:39 pm

I’ve read several articles stating that the cost for EV insurance is higher due to cost of repair , batteries , computer technical related materials cost far more to repair than ice cars

Taken from Forbes

If you have an EV, your insurance will probably look much like that of a gas-powered vehicle—with some notable differences. You’ll likely pay a little more to insure an EV. That’s because it generally costs more to repair an EV than a conventional car

• kerbe2705

April 29, 2022 at 10:29 pm

@Patrick Liebknecht Remember that – in most states – Aptera will be licensed as a motorcycle or an autocycle, not as an automobile: Insurance rates should, therefore, be significantly LESS for Aptera than for other enclosed passenger vehicles, EV or ICE.

• Patrick Liebknecht

May 2, 2022 at 12:55 pm

@sam theya

I got a quote from State Farm , sent them the specs the website and they talked to the underwriters. Said it would be an auto cycle and cost a little more than my Volvo XC70 cross country ( so yes it’s an auto cycle but it’s still going to costly to repair and cost more than most motorcycles ) and since you can drive it year round, not seasonally. The rates will be higher

• kerbe2705

May 3, 2022 at 12:01 pm

It’s going to be a state-by-state situation and, because there are so few composite-bodied vehicles on the road at present, they can’t really judge how expensive bodywork will be until they actually have repair data.

With Tesla, for example, they assume that ALL Tesla bodywork will be expensive because the FIRST Tesla vehicles had all-aluminum bodies (MS and MX) – but the M3 and MY have steel bodies so “standard” body shop tools and skills apply.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 30, 2022 at 1:12 pm

I’ve heard horror stories from guys working at repair shops. Tesla’s are difficult to repair even for relatively simple cosmetic things. Techniques which help manufacturing efficiency also can hurt repairability. This is a legitimate failing and a reason for higher costs for insurance. Tesla has the numbers and forms the basis of averages used in classifications by insurance companies. In other words because Tesla’s are a bitch to fix insurance companies assume all EVs are.

• John Voules

April 30, 2022 at 2:30 pm

Thank God were not talking about Teslas. So far since I have been following the progress of Aptera’s development 1+ years…simplification and ease of repair is at the forefront of their engineering. Also the right to repair another biggy. Owning several electric vehicles (i3 + Zero srf), I can tell you, lack of having any major Maintanance. These are real $ savings along with time used to maintain. It looks that the Aptera may be the 1st electric vehicle for many 1st time buyers. Please be advised, once u take the plunge, it will be hard to go back to gas or diesel.

• John Trotter

April 30, 2022 at 3:53 pm

For parking, we need a “bird’s eye view”, perhaps showing on the new screen in front of the steering device. (I avoid calling it what it is, for fear of a distracting discussion.) My daughter’s beast of a GMC SUV has that and it seemed quite useable. There are already enough cameras to stitch the picture together. Obviously, that only helps with avoiding self-inflicted damage.

• William Manewal

May 4, 2022 at 9:15 am

+1 on the computer-generated overhead view. My Chevy Bolt EV has it, naming it “Surround Vision” and I’ve found it very useful in tight parking situations.

Viewing 1 - 16 of 16 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now