Virtual/Augmented Reality Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Virtual/Augmented Reality Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Virtual/Augmented Reality Aptera

• Virtual/Augmented Reality Aptera

Posted by curtis-cibinel on June 14, 2022 at 2:01 pm

One interesting detail which was mentioned in this mornings webinar was that Steve (and presumably other internal staff) have had a chance to experience the gamma design in VR. This would be a great way to experience the amazing model they have put together for their videos and renders. When he mentioned how amazing it was to see in VR the chat exploded with people pointing out that they want to see it. I really hope they can release the gamma model to sketchfab or other standard services as it would be amazing to explore the vehicle. Given that the model contains the same information as the videos/still images I really hope they can find a way to release this. I feel like this would be a tool which could help people sell the idea of the aptera to friends and family with a more interactive approach.

🤞 they decide to share their toys 😉

gene-chutka replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 16 Members · 32 Replies
  • 32 Replies
  • Virtual/Augmented Reality Aptera

gene-chutka updated 2 months, 2 weeks ago 16 Members · 32 Replies
  • paul-carlucci

June 14, 2022 at 4:57 pm

It really seems like one of those things that you’d think manufacturers would already be putting out so you can look over every bit of a car at your own place from the comfort of your own home. The glossy brochures have given way to PDFs and 360 videos you can sorta drag around, but VR is a major win especially for a company like Aptera which doesn’t have a showroom or even a final product.

• jonah-jorgenson

June 16, 2022 at 8:46 am

Possibly depending on the resolution of the model and as long as it does not detract from any scheduled efforts to get to production soonest.

I would prefer to see a VR of the Delta (Production ready) that can be used from the point of development through production or until they change the vehicle again. After delta is available I would not want Aptera to use a obsolete VR model to show potential customers especially if they see the differences between a Gama VR and a real vehicle in a live display. Both should be consistent.

Regardless, I would want the model at a higher resolution that the gamma rendering

• kerbe2705

July 23, 2022 at 9:38 pm

Has there been any more word on this from Aptera?

In video clips about the Gamma VR, the persons experiencing it seem be wearing Oculus/Meta Quest 2 gear: Mine is sitting here waiting to transport me into an Aptera!

• curtis-cibinel

July 23, 2022 at 10:58 pm

Unfortunately no signs the gamma 3d model will be released.

I hope the company does decide to release it because any Aptera enthusiast with a vr headset could basically give a virtual tour of the car; not everyone lives in California. This would be a great referral marketing tool. It would also give game modders what they need to put it in games like gta 5 and project cars 3 – more people looking at it and wondering about the aptera… Releasing it openly allows various usage which will get more people interested and reserving Aptera

• gene-chutka

December 24, 2022 at 11:30 pm

Who wants to find one of these in their Christmas stocking?

Christmas Stocking Stuffer – YouTube

• Stuppie

December 25, 2022 at 9:55 am

Can anybody tell me if this website is Aptera motors related?. https://experienceaptera.com

• bruce-mengler

December 25, 2022 at 10:14 am

YES it is.

It was promoted by Aptera on its social media channel yesterday.

• gene-chutka

December 25, 2022 at 10:17 pm

Will it Supercharge? Enquiring minds want to know.

Will It Supercharge? – YouTube

• gene-chutka

December 27, 2022 at 11:27 pm

Here’s a quick demo of exploring the Aptera in desktop VR with positional tracking. Having seen and sat in Gamma at Fully Charged Live, this feels incredibly realistic in comparison!

Exploring the Aptera in Virtual Reality – YouTube

• gene-chutka

December 30, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Here’s something to keep everyone entertained while we wait for Delta to drop. Experience Aptera site is now live at https://experienceaptera.com

Check the FAQ page for info on supported hardware/software. The experience will vary depending on your device. In general, the newer the device then the better the experience. Let me know how it works for you.

• craig-merrow

December 31, 2022 at 6:45 am

Enjoyed the video, really excited to see the Delta reveal!

• OZ.

December 31, 2022 at 7:11 am

See Aptera in your driveway.

Kudos to our own Gene Chutka for this.

https://experienceaptera.com/

• JRWiley

December 31, 2022 at 7:28 am

Gene, I should add that it worked fine on my iPad as well as my Samsung S22 Ultra Android.

• gene-chutka

December 31, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. The 3D model has been updated today to reflect the latest information on Delta.

• curtis-cibinel

January 1, 2023 at 10:31 am

Great job. I know from experience how hard it is to make everything. I still plan to circle back to my 3d printing model eventually but life has been pretty busy. My process has involved sculpting and switching between mesh/adobe medium so as I changed things I unfortunately kept degrading things (worst is the mesh centering on the mirror plane eak). Your process made a super clean mesh and great texture work but in some cases elements had little or no thickness (not an issue for your intended use).

Ps: some instructions for the controls to move the model in ar space would be helpful for users. I could not figure out how to move the model (especially down)

• len

December 31, 2022 at 4:56 pm

Still “free charging”….until the AZ sun sets😉

And when the sun sets… move to the garage…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Len Nowak.
  • Phil

January 5, 2023 at 6:26 pm

I’ll either go very slow down my driveway or get a shoe horn, it just barely makes it. Fortunately, the driveway widens a lot as I approach my 2.5 car garage. It’s a bit dark, due to it being just after sunset.

• gene-chutka

January 13, 2023 at 9:36 pm

I just released a new feature on the Experience Aptera site along with two new Aptera models. You can now share your favorite Augmented Reality photo of your Aptera directly on the site. It’s called My Aptera Gallery and you’ll find the link at the bottom of the AR Experience page. Check it out and let’s see your cool photos!

There is now a 3D model of the Aptera with the doors AND the rear hatch open for you to explore in Augmented Reality. I’ve also included a “base model” Aptera which is what you would get if you ordered it with no additional solar. This version has no solar on the hood or the rear hatch, instead it has the window version of the rear hatch.

Here’s a video link highlighting the My Aptera Gallery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xab1LON2JA0

Enjoy!

https://experienceaptera.com/

• gene-chutka

January 16, 2023 at 5:50 pm

I was inspired by the Elaphe video that was making the rounds this last week with their x-ray view of the Aptera. I’ve always liked these see-through images of vehicles so I modeled up the Aptera skeleton over the weekend. Fortunately there was enough information in the Delta video and photos for me to accurately represent the inner workings, and while my model may not be 100% dimensionally accurate, I think it’s pretty darn close. I did have to guess at some things that haven’t been released yet, like the exact battery layout, but this can be updated when more info is available.

You can now view it in Augmented Reality on the Experience Aptera site. This makes a good tool for us to explain to others the safety of the body on frame construction and frontal crash crumple zone, as well as the simplicity of the battery and in-wheel motor architecture. I included four battery packs which in-theory would be the 1000-mile range option.

Here’s a video link highlighting the x-ray view model.

Experience Aptera X Ray View – YouTube

Have fun!

Experience Aptera

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Gene Chutka.
  • paul-rybarczyk

February 3, 2023 at 2:15 pm

The ExperienceAptera-dot-com web site has a fun little tool for making Aptera augmented-reality videos in minutes. Then just publish to Youtube and add some music:

Seems like a great way to spread the word about Aptera. 😀

• paul-rybarczyk

February 6, 2023 at 9:20 am

While we all patiently wait for our launch-edition vehicles, I suggest that everyone use the awesome ExperienceAptera dot com website to put one in their driveway right now. That’s what I just did! 😀

Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNx8h30CM8

• gene-chutka

February 22, 2023 at 11:50 pm

I’m super excited to share the latest Augmented Reality model in the Experience Aptera web app, although for this one you’ll probably need a larger driveway.

We all know that aerodynamics is a key design feature of the Aptera and I’ve often wondered what it would be like to see this unique shape inside of an actual wind tunnel. The Experience Aptera app now lets you visualize in full scale standing alongside it in a virtual wind tunnel. The visualization was created using CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) software tools and my 3D model of the Aptera. You’ll see the airstreams that flow around the vehicle which are color coded to indicate high and low pressure zones within the airflow. It’s a really cool effect to view it in Augmented Reality and highlights the amazing aerodynamics of the Aptera.

There are some important things to keep in mind though, most of which have to do with the size of the digital AR model. Because of all the extra airstream data the AR experience may not work smoothly on older or low powered devices, but you should have no problem viewing it in 3D on a PC. More details on this, along with some interesting videos, are provided on the FAQ page so be sure to check that out.

https://experienceaptera.com

Here is a YouTube video demonstrating the Virtual Wind Tunnel AR Experience.

Experience Aptera Aerodynamics – YouTube

• Greek

February 23, 2023 at 4:48 am

Thank You….VERY COOL

I wonder if it is possible to show the vehicle traveling through a turn and the effects of the aerodynamics on the vehicle with the wheel hoods breaking up the flowing lines. With the wheel hoods so large I would expect them to scrub the vehicle’s speed in fast turns. Thus aiding it in its handling.

• Nuugle42

July 7, 2023 at 11:57 am
  • gene-chutka

November 16, 2023 at 2:59 pm

Thanks to a partnership with Aptera Motors, the Experience Aptera web site has been updated with the OFFICIAL Production Intent 3D model. You can now experience the Aptera like never before in 360, Augmented Reality, and now web-based Virtual Reality.

Visit a virtual Aptera showroom with your Oculus/Meta Quest VR headset for a truly immersive experience. Just visit https://ExperienceAptera.com using your headset’s web browser and press the on-screen VR button, no app installation required.

https://ExperienceAptera.com

• curtis-cibinel

November 16, 2023 at 4:35 pm

Absolutely amazing update. PS: Who did you contact at Aptera; I would love to get similar raw models (or yours) to make a segmented printable model with all possible details for resin.

• Dr.D

November 16, 2023 at 6:40 pm

I used an AR pic of an Aptera in my driveway in a post on Nextdoor. Quickly got about 10 responses and a dozen comments. Several visited the website to learn more. Great advertising!

• gene-chutka

February 1, 2024 at 2:13 pm

Hey everyone, I just dropped two new Virtual Reality experiences on https://experienceaptera.com

The first one is for those who haven’t been invited to the Pininfarina wind tunnel (which is pretty much all of us) to witness the aerodynamic validation of the PI build. I combined my CFD airstream analysis (now animated) with a 3D re-creation of the interior of Pininfarina for a fun look at this historic event. Use your Quest VR headset to get an immersive close-up view of the world’s most aerodynamic consumer vehicle ever created.

The second one is a visit to “The Wrap Shop”, where you can re-wrap your Aptera in one of several custom colors. If you’re not partial to Space Grey, or if you just want to stand out even more, try picking Neon Green or Shocking Pink. If you don’t see a color that you like, drop me a note and I’ll see if I can add it. This only works in VR so if you haven’t picked up a Quest headset yet, this may just be the reason you need.

So dust off your VR headset and let’s have some fun!

• len

February 1, 2024 at 2:50 pm

Gene,

You’re the best!

Thank you!

It’s happening!

Len

• curtis-cibinel

February 1, 2024 at 5:56 pm

Absolutely amazing update.

If you want to push wrap visualization even further it would be really cool to see some color shift wraps, chrome/rainbow, carbon fiber etc. When my stock wrap is ready to be replaced I’m thinking either flexishield galaxy (approx #7936ab / #104094) or pine green (approx #083318 / #060709);

• craig-merrow

February 2, 2024 at 3:14 am

Thanks Gene! I especially enjoyed the wind tunnel video!

• gene-chutka

February 2, 2024 at 1:12 pm

FYI – Based on feedback, The Wrap Shop VR experience has been updated to work in 2D desktop mode now. Just hover over the vinyl wrap on the rack with your mouse to select a color. Left/right/forward/back navigation is done with keyboard arrow or WASD keys, rotation is with the mouse.

Highly recommended to experience the space with a VR headset though if possible.

https://experienceaptera.com

or to reply.