Power Reduction – Deliberately ? ! ! !

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Power Reduction – Deliberately ? ! ! !

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Power Reduction – Deliberately ? ! ! !

• Power Reduction – Deliberately ? ! ! !

Steve Lee updated 2 months, 1 week ago 8 Members · 10 Posts
  • Pistonboy Delux

April 19, 2022 at 11:46 am

In this video at time 6:40, he says the power has been deliberately reduced. It sounds like the information came from Aptera personnel.

Does this mean we will not be getting the acceleration shown in the Chuckwalla video where it kept up with the Audi R-8 ?

If it is ok for the Audi R8 to have that power, why can’t I ?

I want the full power ! ! ! If Aptera fears we cannot hand the power, have a dual mode switch people can choose between: Full power or Reduced power. And make it so we can choose a setting and it will stay there until we change it. Not something that automatically resets to reduced power every time we start the vehicle.

Let the vehicle owner choose, do not choose for me, Aptera ! ! !

This is very serious to me and a lot others.

(Did Tesla hear of the acceleration and tell them to cut it back?)

(Note: he copied his video off of You Tube, so it will show at times, two times at the bottom of the screen: the time displayed by YouTube when he copied it, and the time of your viewing.)

https://youtu.be/nAzy05MPX-M

• Tim Dean

April 19, 2022 at 12:02 pm

The beta suspension mule that was driven was de-powered because it did not contain the fully completed battery pack and full power wasn’t needed for suspension testing & calibration. Don’t worry about the power of the production model.

• Jonathan Reni

April 19, 2022 at 12:50 pm

Keep in mind that limiting power is not the same thing as limiting acceleration. The opposite can be true. Electric motors can deliver massive amounts of instant torque. They need to be limited in order to maintain traction. Proper traction will deliver fastest acceleration. The fwd vehicles will likely be most limited due to all of the power going to only the front wheels. The 3 wheel will probably allow more power to each motor since they’ll be working together to maximize traction and acceleration. Additionally, they have discussed several driving modes such as eco, sport etc.. those modes all represent different types of power management.

• kerbe2705

April 19, 2022 at 2:04 pm

You are the voice of reason, @Jonathan Reni ! “Limiting power” could also mean “throttle mapping” – so that the motors deliver torque to the ground in a controlled fashion.

• Peter Jorgensen

April 19, 2022 at 2:23 pm

Relax – It will be insanely fast. They’re just trying to not make it lethally uncontrollable. This means controlling acceleration correctly. Almost all EVs do this – reducing power at times so you don’t just peel out all the time. Chill mode or eco mode can reduce power also. Simply put, aptera has a LOT more torque than the audi R8 for it’s weight. Way too much torque.

Aptera already has been stating the power rating of the motors is 50kw each, when Elaphe builds them for 75kw. I wouldn’t worry about it lacking power.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

April 19, 2022 at 3:23 pm

maybe let people reprogram for more torque thru screen if they want to switch out into wider tires without the wheel cover, some buyers will probably buy it for that.

• Arlen Bell

April 19, 2022 at 6:02 pm

I don’t want to see a bunch of hot rodding Aptera owners losing control and causing accidents that will substantially increase insurance rates. As is, I suspect insurance carriers will take into account the difference in acceleration of the two versions in setting rates.

• Pistonboy Delux

April 19, 2022 at 4:14 pm

This would probably be the first vehicle loved by both eco people and hard core power enthusiasts alike.

P.S. I still want to be able to add those diagonal coil-over shocks in the front.

• Pistonboy Delux

April 19, 2022 at 6:18 pm

Traction control is a good thing. It allows control of the power so it can be used properly. Traction control is power management.

However, the author did not say “power management”. He said “detuning” which is an across the board reduction of power at ALL times, under ALL circumstances. That is not “management”.

An across the board power reduction is what would be done to produce the castrated and tepid vehicle that would be loved by an ecology minded little old lady with blue hair, white gloves, and grows petunias. I assure you I am no petunia lady.

• Steve Lee

April 22, 2022 at 4:49 pm

These are beta vehicles. They adjust the power and other things for testing. Don’t take it as representative of the production car.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now