Preconditioning

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Preconditioning

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Preconditioning

• Preconditioning

• Joshua Rosen

March 15, 2022 at 10:31 am

There was an Aptera’s Owners Club video that just came out that said that “remote start” wouldn’t be available when the car launched. First off to be pedantic, EVs don’t have remote start, they have pre-conditioning. Remote start refers to starting an internal combustion engine, something that’s highly useful if you are Michael Corleone but otherwise a minor convenience. Preconditioning in an EV refers to the ability to heat the cabin and even more importantly the battery while the car is plugged in. Heating the cabin saves battery, heating the battery is more critical. Regen braking doesn’t work when the battery is cold so if you want to be able to do one pedal driving in cold weather you need to precondition your car before you leave home.

In terms of priorities it’s very important that they have preconditioning support in the app before the winter of 2023-2024. I’m assuming that all of their deliveries this year will be in California where this feature doesn’t matter but hopefully they will be making deliveries to Northern customers by mid 2023 which means that preconditioning needs to be available before the winter of next year.

• Joel Smith

March 15, 2022 at 11:22 am

The “Aptera Owner’s Club” YouTube channel occasionally publishes interesting information that I haven’t seen elsewhere, but the host is not even close to a professional journalist nor an authority on Aptera so I take anything he says with a healthy grain of salt – subject to verification.

The founders have stated in previous interviews that Scandinavian countries are one of their target markets. Surely pre-conditioning is high on the list of priorities to satisfy that market’s need. Rather I’d be surprised if any currently available EV doesn’t come with that functionality. I sure am happy to have and use it (at least cabin pre-heating) in my 7 year old Leaf.

Guess we will see, but my bet is its a given.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by  Joel Smith.
    • Joshua Rosen

March 15, 2022 at 11:38 am

I have zero doubts that they will have the functionality eventually. I just posted about the When, I want it make sure they have it for the first winter after they start shipping.

• Guy SKEER

March 15, 2022 at 11:46 am

It would be great to have a whole ITTT regime for “Pre-Flight” that would Adjust seat, Mirrors, Cabin temp, Steering Yoke/Stick/Tiller Heater, Seat temp, Gently Warm Motors, (Cooling system), Battery Pack, (Start Circ Pump, etc) while You pour coffee into Your Travel Mug and Get Your Coat.

Heavy Electricity Use while connected to Charger, alternate Plan if the Vehicle is Free-Standing, and all Informed by Weather for (Pre-Loaded) Trip Route.

• kerbe2705

March 15, 2022 at 12:11 pm

Here in the deep south I find that I use preconditioning most frequently in hot, humid weather – which we have in abundance – to cool and dehumidify the cabin. It is for that reason that I usually keep the vehicle plugged-in – but also, in cold weather, because doing so keeps the battery pack warmed.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now