Printed Solar – Unrolled in Australia

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Printed Solar – Unrolled in Australia

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Printed Solar – Unrolled in Australia

• Printed Solar – Unrolled in Australia

• Ron Ledohowski

May 14, 2022 at 12:33 pm

Australian scientists to power Tesla on 15,000-km trip with printed solar panels.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/australian-scientists-power-tesla-15000-km-trip-with-printed-solar-panels-2022-04-20

2:56

278760461_288321450015564_2327081161449048569_n

2:56

• Francis Giroux

May 14, 2022 at 1:55 pm

This would be a good emergency power source (like jumper cables with an ICE car), if they were anywhere near as efficient as a regular solar panel. But 2.5-3% efficient makes up for the “only $10” per square meter cost to produce. That makes it about the same cost per watt as regular panels. The one advantage they would have, if the lasts, is that they are light weight and can roll up to a shape that can fit in the car. I’d rather have the thin four panel fold out configuration or bendable panel.

• Alain Chuzel

May 14, 2022 at 2:50 pm

I highly recommend against “bendable” panels that contain crystalline silicon cells. If you just gotta have ’em, I suggest “reinforcing” them so they bend less. This advice brought to you by my 30+ years of building (and learning from) “specialty” panels…..

• Stefan Obel

May 16, 2022 at 6:48 am

So my question now is the wording of the article and in the video stating “The Charge Around Australia project will power a Tesla electric car with 18 of the team’s printed plastic solar panels, each 18 metres (59 feet) long”.
    In the video there is only ONE really long panel seen.
    The wording however suggests that there will be 18 of those 59 ft long panels needed to charge the Tesla?

Another thought that crossed my mind is that those flexible printed panels may be perfect for my new metal roof. Printing them in a single line would make them fit perfectly between the standing seems and with a cost of $8 per square meter they may be less expensive than regular solar panels even if covering the whole 4,000+ sqft of my roof.

I wonder what the actual rating is because that 2.5% – 3% efficiency alone is not a good number to work with. What is the actual power rating per m2?

• Alain Chuzel

May 16, 2022 at 7:16 am

2.5% – 3% efficiency is 2.5 – 3 watts per square meter if irradiance on surface is 1000 watts per square meter.

• John Malcom

May 16, 2022 at 10:14 am

hmmm would take acres or a long train of this stuff to recharge for a long trip. I will stick with an Aptera and Aptera solar

• Alain Chuzel

May 16, 2022 at 1:51 pm

I was wrong.

2.5% to 3% efficiency is 25 to 30 watts per square meter if irradiance on surface is 1000 watts per square meter.

Note to self: no math before 8 AM!

Please forgive.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 16, 2022 at 1:31 pm

If it is cheap enough this technology could still make sense for massive solar farms where land use is not a big deal; basically look at this projection on space needed for powering the world with solar and increase the spaces by 6x (or add more). https://landartgenerator.org/blagi/archives/127

This product as presented seems pretty silly for the emergency charging kit scenario they presented because the amount of space needed is insane.

• Francis Giroux

May 16, 2022 at 4:25 pm

Well they did say that their trip around Australia with a Tesla driving only a couple hours on six hours of charging during mid day “only” uses 18 of their panels 86 feet long. Those panels look like about four feet wide, so 18 x 86 x 4 = 6192 square feet if the panels are all touching. Gee that’s only about 50 parking spaces on a parking lot, or the size of the footprint of 6 houses, or about one sixth of a football field. I’d hate to be the one responsible for keeping those 18 panels from blowing away in the outback wind.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 16, 2022 at 6:12 pm

For comparison if the Aptera is driving in a full sun (panels making 700 W), you don’t use the AC and the other auxiliary load (radio, displays, SOCs, charge losses etc) is ~150W then it should be possible to maintain 15 mph without draining the battery. Extreme hypermiling of Teslas has been shown to roughly 1.8x the rated range so this is somewhat reasonable. This is a far more impressive achievement if my assumptions are reasonably close to accurate.

• Michael Jordan

May 17, 2022 at 6:04 am

The printed panels from 20 years ago were printed on aluminum foil. Although the surface area is huge, the volume is not. If you can make it so you can roll it, a 100 square meter roll of Aluminum foil isn’t that big.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now