RAB-Reverse Automatic Braking

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions RAB-Reverse Automatic Braking

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions RAB-Reverse Automatic Braking

• RAB-Reverse Automatic Braking

Posted by Phil on March 3, 2022 at 11:48 pm

I emailed Aptera about this several months ago and they did respond with a definite “maybe, we’ll ask out team about it”. I have never heard or seen follow up since that response, so I’m really hoping Kayleigh sees this post and gets an answer from Engineering. Reverse Automatic Braking or as it’s commonly referred to as RAB, is not mentioned in the Aptera Safety Pilot option. This is a very useful device that should be standard in any vehicle, but is usually part of an option package from nearly all auto manufacturers. Yet, Aptera has yet to commit to it. This is especially concerning, since many like myself are opting for full solar, which covers all of the rear hatch window. To be clear, RAB does not involve cameras. It uses small, less than an inch in diameter circular radar sensors mounted in the rear bumper. In my 2018 Subaru Impreza, it’s 4 sensors in the rear bumper. It provides both warnings of getting too close to an object behind you, but it also will automatically stop your vehicle before it hits that object. If this is not already included in Safety Pilot, in needs to be, it just makes sense.

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    Phil replied 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • RAB-Reverse Automatic Braking

Phil updated 2 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • len

March 4, 2022 at 4:55 am

I don’t know if this helps at all but…

A long time ago… I was “told” were engineering at least three proximity sensors. I was NOT asking about “its ability to brake”, just about a light and audible alarm.

I was under the impression there would be two for the front and the other for the rear.

I imagine now that they are at Beta, rushing to the production intended vehicle end of 2022.. we should hear more detail. Included what is std and optional. I chose Safety Pilot and I am not sure what extras may be included.

So 🤞 those alarms work for me….as after 50 years of driving I never had RAB and never backed into anything.

Aptera will also have at least three camera that are rear/side views.

I too have full solar.

I do like our present vehicle front proximity sensors when driving into our tight two bay garage. Again not RAB.

( My wife hates automatic braking when driving in her safety management system, even after adjusting its sensitivity , and just turns it off ) Personal choices on all this technology…

I suppose there is a lot to balance. Weight, complexity, compatibility with regeneration braking / in wheel motors, cost, readily available, etc…. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its still going to be an amazing motorcycle/ autocycle, which I doubt others in it class offer. RIGHT?

In the end….I hope they provide for your needs

We have owned many new vehicles and the manufactures just delivered that they decided std or optional. I suppose they looked at price point and what their competitor offers??? Aptera is excitingly unique in many ways ( to this old dude )

• KayleighVenne

March 4, 2022 at 2:20 pm

Hi Philip! Thank you for this question. While we understand the value of Reverse Automatic Braking, this is most likely not something that will be featured in our first models. We look forward to possibly offering something like this in the future.

Although adding solar panels to the rear hatch will eliminate rear window visibility; you will still have great visibility of the rear through the camera in the cabin. Our vision systems let you see a rear view as if the rear glass was clear even with the solar added.

• Phil

March 4, 2022 at 4:28 pm

OK, it’s not a deal breaker for me, but what Kayleigh is saying doesn’t indicate the presence of the proximity sensors Leonard mentioned he was told about at sometime in the past either. If in fact there are proximity sensors for the front wheels, then I don’t understand why the same proximity sensor(s) couldn’t be applied to some part of the rear tail. Perhaps somewhere between the tail lights? Even if it’s only one sensor that triggers an audible alarm without braking, it’s better than none.

or to reply.