real world testing please

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions real world testing please

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions real world testing please

• real world testing please

Curtis Cibinel updated 2 months ago 11 Members · 20 Posts
  • andy solceuy

April 23, 2022 at 7:35 pm

I would like the company to do some real REAL world testing; send your alpha or beta models to the north and or south pole. Unless of course they are only going to sell in California. We have people there; I’am sure the scientist stationed there would welcome you [bring your own supply’s] .

• Alain Chuzel

April 23, 2022 at 7:44 pm

So there’s only the North and South Poles and California? Really? Nothing “in between”? (sarcasm)

I’m pretty sure there will be real REAL world testing but maybe not at the Poles….

• andy solceuy

April 26, 2022 at 8:04 pm

I would like them to test it under sustained old weather conditions, you know early morning scrap the ice off your windshield, driving in the freezing rain conditions. Blowing snow.

I see there is no discussions on extreme weather?

~extreme weather~ is not extreme if it is the season for said weather. Just saying get out of California, and get some Data.

• Curtis Cibinel

April 26, 2022 at 9:03 pm

Pretty hard to really world test before they have a production intent build. Even tesla messed up some details with physical flaps freezing, frozen handles and bms issues (lfp) in cold. This is why they made the Alaska test team. Elaphe tests in extreme cold (bench and real world) and Aptera has a lack of physical external parts (intakes/flaps) that can fail so it should hopefully not be much of an issue. Reality is early adopters take some risk. I’m in bc so winter is mild by Canadian standards.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 23, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Andy, you are pretty precocious, knowing that they have gotten so far with the Alpha and Beta. Doing real world testing on anything prior to a Gamma or Delta it’s just too soon.

• Paul Schultz

April 24, 2022 at 4:38 am

Who would volunteer to test drive the current “no doors” beta at the North or South Poles??! I am an enthusiast but there are limits! πŸ™‚

• Ray Holan

April 24, 2022 at 11:13 am

Dare I say, it would be “cool” to do that though!

• David Wells

April 24, 2022 at 10:48 am

I am really interested on how the passive batery cooling will work in Phoenix AZ heat. Summer temperatures can get above and stay above 112 degrees. Would this be an issue? I know this was a big issue with the Nissan Leaf here. Battery life significantly decreased. I would expect a “NO” or a respectable battery warranty. If “YES”, any ideas on cooling?

I know someone mentioned the north pole. That may not be your target buyers geographical location, but I assure you Phoenix Arizona is. We have a lot of sunshine. With housing and rental prices way up we have less $$ for EV’s.

I work at an electrical engineering firm downtown. Many people in this office would jump on a no charge 1000 mile HOV accessible EV. We are all to aware of the need to derate equipment because of heat.

What can you share with us?

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 24, 2022 at 12:16 pm

I am not sure what you mean by passive battery cooling. The battery will be bottom cooled (Most efficient way) with Ethelene Glycol circulating (Pressure) through cooling channels in a cooling plate in contact with the batteries. That heat then transferred to the outside of the vehicle. That is not passive if you define passive as what the Leaf uses.

The vehicle is designed to operate and will be tested for up to 125 degrees F. That should give you a few degrees of cushion. 😁

There will be a competitive battery warranty the length of which will be announced after testing is complete. In the past it has been mentioned that the batteries should last 10 years. Battery technology is advancing at a rapid pace. I suspect I would change my batteries out for something more advanced long before 10 years.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: spelling correction
  • David Wells

April 24, 2022 at 1:36 pm

Thank you, that’s what I was looking for. I believe the older Leafs just used air to cool their batteries. No fan no liquid cooling. No actual system for cooling. They definitely got a bad reputation here in Phoenix. Mostly I really want an Aptera, and to be sure I won’t bake my purchase into a Lemon.

Thank You for the amazingly quick responce!

Keep up the good work… πŸ˜‰ Hoping for production news befor the fall. Fingers crossed.

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 24, 2022 at 2:09 pm

I had a 2012 Leaf so understand. 😑 Glad to have you as an enthusiast

• David Wells

April 26, 2022 at 8:57 pm

I was talking to a friend and he pointed out to me that in Arizona during the summer the inside of the car can get to as high as a 150゚. If the batteries are below the passengers how will that temperature affect the batteries and charging?

• kerbe2705

April 26, 2022 at 10:29 pm

Aptera’s basic solar (the roof, tail and dashboard cells) provide power to the ventilation system: Aptera’s interior will be kept at the ambient temperature when parked in the sun.

The battery pack in most modern EVs is mounted below the passengers: This does not mean that the batteries are open to the interior of the vehicle. In Aptera, the battery pack is below the floor of the passenger compartment: The belly of the vehicle – below the battery pack – is a massive aluminum heat exchanger through which the vehicles liquid coolant will be circulated, dumping its excess heat outside the vehicle.

• Boz O’Clown

April 27, 2022 at 2:49 pm

Let’s say you go to work at 7AM and it’s 25 degrees F, tell your Aptera to turn on the heaters (one for the cabin and one for the batteries) at 6:30. If you’re plugged in, no problem. You drive home at 5PM and it’s still cold. Tell you car to heat-er-up at 4:30. Your battery takes a hit, but you bought the 1000 mile range, right?

Seriously, my biggest concern would be snow build up in those wheel skirts.

• David Wells

May 1, 2022 at 12:37 pm

FYI

Just dropped my deposit.

• Ray Holan

May 1, 2022 at 1:00 pm

Welcome to the waiting line, David! You have plenty of company. I understand Aptera now has 20K reservation deposits. To keep up, it looks like they may have to open a second assembly location sooner than later;)

• Dennis Swaney

May 1, 2022 at 7:09 pm

I wish I could find out what number I am; all I’m told is projected delivery is 2023/24.

• David Wells

May 1, 2022 at 7:40 pm

Well look at it this way more time to save up for that down payment.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 1, 2022 at 7:57 pm

Says that for everyone. You are 20k+ in line. No idea what the conversion ratio will be since $100 isn’t a huge deposit and life situations change (maybe 70%). Optimistically maybe late 2024 or early 2025 factoring ramp.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now