Realistic delivery time

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Realistic delivery time

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Realistic delivery time

• Realistic delivery time

• Cameron McGuinness

January 27, 2022 at 7:17 am

I would like to see a more realistic time frame of delivery in my portal. 2022 with my order #4500 and in Australia, I believe is not realistic

• Joshua Rosen

January 27, 2022 at 7:58 am

Any number they put there will be meaningless at this point. Even in the US they don’t know how many or even if any cars will be delivered this year. GM technically shipped the Hummer in 2021, they delivered one of them, would you call that delivering Hummers in 2021?

Putting a bogus year for the delivery date is better than just saying TBD because it’s sounds more hopeful but the fact of the matter it really is TBD for all of us.

For you in Australia the dates are much more nebulous. First they have to have a shipable product in California, then they have to figure out which states get it next. Once they are in production they have to decide which if any overseas markets they want to ship to next. For Australia they have to figure out if the demand warrants the engineering costs of moving the steering wheel. Question for you, is a car with a steering wheel on the left legal to drive in Australia?

• Gary Black Forest

January 27, 2022 at 8:12 am

In my opinion, the race is on. According to yesterday’s Tesla call there will be no Cybertruck in 2022. I have a reservation for an Aptera and one of those mystical trucks. Whoever delivers first will get my business.

• John Malcom

January 27, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Fair statement!

I hope both companies get the hint about moving forward quickly with production for the sake of expanding the number of EVs in the market contributing to improving our environment. I do for all EV manufactures. That is the bigger story isn’t it?

I will bet on Aptera as Tesla does not have a great record of meeting their production goals on any of their vehicles and, of course, the Aptera will make a bigger contribution to improving the environment than any product of Tesla. (I drive a Tesla Model 3)

Also, from some information I gathered during a visit to China, Tesla may be changing their priorities to the manufacture and sale of the long rumored Tesla Model 2 at $25K.

If Tesla came out with that vehicle first, would you buy it in place of a cyber truck or an Aptera?

• V Pilot

January 27, 2022 at 4:14 pm

IF…it can get me 250mi on a charge like the $36,500 aptera I optioned…not out of the question. My ’08 Nissan Frontier is not long for this world and the backup ’97 Subaru Legacy still has some time left. Between the two I can make it to a delivery time, but whose??? The 36,000mi ’88 Jag XJS will be patted on the tailpipe and sent to a new owner.

It would have to have a steering wheel and pedals too, autonomous driving is a no go

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  V Pilot.
      • Joseph DelVecchio

January 31, 2022 at 10:54 am

Per Musk, Model 2 at 25K is a no. *sad face emoji*

• John Malcom

February 6, 2022 at 11:52 am

Not so! the Tesla Model 2 or whatever it will be called is on at a factory in Shanghai. Production line is up and the defects being worked out. It will not be the Model 2 first envisioned, as it will have a steering wheel and no full self drive. First for the Chinese market as Tesla is losing ground there, then Europe. Tesla needs a “Tesla 2” to compete with the BYD Dolphin in China, Europe, and Australia. The “Model 2″will have the LFP batteries Tesla will use for moderate range EVs that are suitable for Chinese and European Markets needing only shorter distances. China and Europe are the best two markets in the world. The LFPs will be safer and cheaper. Also a rumor, that Tesla will use BYD’s blade LFPs. That has been on and off since I as in China last year as Tesla will build their own non-blade LFPs.

No information/rumors on when it will arrive in the US, so at this point, no competition for Aptera during Aptera’s currently published production delivery.

• Dean McManis

February 7, 2022 at 12:40 pm

The lower priced, subcompact Chinese Tesla was never the “Model 2” announced at battery day. The tiny, Renault Zoe sized, China-designed EV was meant to be built in China, using LFP batteries, and sold in Asia and Europe. I would not be surprised to see this EV available in China this year. But this model has been confused with the $25K Tesla EV pitched at battery day, which will have 4680 batteries, autopilot, and probably come out in late 2023, or some time in 2024. Neither of these EVs are a pressing threat for Aptera.

• Tom Boucher

January 29, 2022 at 7:39 am

It’s been a rough couple of years. I actually have four different EVs on pre-order, with a race to see who wins. Depending on when they’re available one could be my 12 year olds ‘first car’ for driving, who knows at this rate.

For a company though, I kind of think they have to put a stick in the ground, even if the ground is wind blown sand, and then they have to shoot for that date until they can’t.

• John Malcom

January 29, 2022 at 11:47 am

Sounds like one of those mechanical horse race games that we see at carnivals minus someone calling it

I think the biggest question, perhaps not spoken, on the forum is “What is the production delivery schedule” a cover for I want my Aptera now! I think the same in the online communities that follows Aptera. The longer we go with out this information, the more people will become disenchanted with Aptera.

On the other side of that coin though is the track record of Tesla which has promised and broken and promised and broken their delivery schedule/announcements. I drive a Tessla Model 3 that I had to wait months past the delivery date initially given me to receive it.

I expect that Aptera will announce the schedule when they have confidence they can deliver against it. I am sure that will be after all Beta testing is completed which makes absolute good sense as you don’t know what you don’t know until it is tested and if defective, the impact on schedule.

I too have two EVs reserved. One is an earlier Aptera and one a later Aptera. The vehicle has such an appeal for me that I will wait until they are ready.

• GLEN KIRK

January 31, 2022 at 9:58 am

I feel your pain. I’ve kind of lost track of how many 100 dollar reservations I have out there.

Aptera of course. Just cancelled my cyber truck reservation last night, for several reasons. Have a f150 lightening reservation, but I’m really confident I’m not going to make this year’s cut for that, so I actually put in an order for f150 hybrid platinum since my old farm truck caught fire and I need a truck. But who knows when I can get that. If it comes soon enough that will hold me over till aptera releases ( and I see if it works for me).

Other option is if the f150 can’t be built in time is get a cheaper work truck off a dealer lot and maybe a Kia ev6 (assuming I can actually get it in the next few months) to hold me over till next year when I realistically expect to be able to get an aptera.

Also put in a reservation for the Chevy ev truck, but that’s year(s) away

• David Marlow

January 31, 2022 at 9:08 am

Aptera is like most manufactures is subject to the chip shortage. However I believe that they will use this delay time to make a better product and be able to accelerate up to their expected output of 800 per month/factory. Will they open another factory this year? and where will it be?

• Charles Lewis

February 10, 2022 at 2:35 pm

I agree. While I would like to have my Aptera right now, I would not like it at the cost of quality problems. Let’s let the process of refining the design, production and supply chain issues get worked out. Aptera management is well aware of the time to market issues.

• Joseph DelVecchio

January 31, 2022 at 10:53 am

I’m in the US. I figure they make 10 vehicles Q1 2023. Based on my order number, I think I’m about the 4500th vehicle in line. I would say late 2024 or early 2025 is what I’m expecting. I figure they make 500-700 vehicles in 2023. Maybe 1000 in 2024… I’m a pessimist who’s always open to being pleasantly surprised.

• John Malcom

January 31, 2022 at 12:39 pm

II think the long poles in the tent are supply chain issues. Even Tesla with their pull is having issues and delayed production.

Aptera manufacturing facilities and staffing will be ready so will not be a constraint. If Aptera can get the parts that are validated in Beta testing I think production will start in Q4 of 2022 and ramp up quickly assuming supply chain will resolve as the new Covid strain dissipates. Hopefully, nothing new takes its place. If so, Everything for every body moves to the right.

The Aptera is designed and engineered for easy, quick, assembly. The Munro lean manufacturing process has produced remarkable results and I would expect it to for Aptera as well.

Aptera is well covered for production for the things under their control

• Joseph DelVecchio

January 31, 2022 at 1:02 pm

You make many good points. I hope you’re right. One thing I can say is that they seem very good about updates as they move forward. As someone who cancelled a Sonders Metacycle reservation, I can easily say that timely updates are not universal.

• John Malcom

January 31, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Joseph, I was surprised about how open they are too when I first started looked at Aptera! Now I am accustomed to it and would find less open (Found with other companies) not acceptable. The other side of that sword is you get some bad news with the good which raises the anxiety level sometimes.

When you look back at what they have accomplished with a small staff and a shoestring budget to this point it is pretty impressive and inspires confidence.

• Joseph DelVecchio

January 31, 2022 at 5:46 pm

There’s as much enjoyment as there is reassurance when watching the updates.

• John Malcom

January 31, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Ha! Maybe we should syndicate it as a reality show

• Joshua Rosen

February 1, 2022 at 6:34 am

What causes me to worry is the problems that Rivian is having producing their truck. Rivian bought an existing auto plant years ago and they’ve had plenty of time to get it set up. They’ve also raised billions of dollars before their IPO and they raised $12B in the IPO itself so cash isn’t a problem. They’ve had working prototypes for a long time and the few examples that they have produced seem to work very well. And yet they can only build them in tiny numbers.

Aptera is operating on a few million, not billions like Rivian. And they’ve just acquired their first manufacturing facility which they will have to set up in months instead of the years that Rivian has had. Aptera is planning on using a very lightweight manufacturing approach which if it works should shorten their path to delivery by a large amount, assuming it works.

Hopefully they will really be able to ship this year but I wouldn’t be surprised if they slip some more.

• BRUCE MENGLER

February 1, 2022 at 7:14 am

Sandy Munro was responsible for designing & implementing the Dodge Viper assembly line.
      Aptera’s assembly line will be modeled after the Viper line.
      There are a handful of videos on YOUTUBE showing the Viper assembly line.
      Below is an example of one such video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMmaPr7L4dU

• John Malcom

February 1, 2022 at 10:58 am

Bruce, good find!!

So…..do you think we can get a Viper off of the Aptera line too???

It is good to see this video. Gives us an idea of what will happen in the Aptra production facility. Also good to see that the process for Aptra devised by Munro, is successful with such a specialized and complex ICE car (to include the motor) as the Viper. I hope Aptera will do a like video when their facility is up and running at steady state.

• Dean McManis

February 7, 2022 at 12:51 pm

That manual assembly line on Connor ave. was able to build 8 Vipers per day, but the Viper is MUCH more complex of a vehicle to manufacture, especially built manually. Some parts of the Viper were preassembled off-site, but the process (which Sandy Munro set up) shows what is possible by hand. I think that building 40 Aptera per day is not out of line. But they need to get the supplies and parts, and ramp up to full production over time.

• Nathan Hubbard

February 1, 2022 at 10:22 am

Rivian is trying to build a high volume, full size pickup truck.

That is pretty much the exact opposite of the Aptera.

Check out all the problems Lordstown is having too.

• Joshua Rosen

February 1, 2022 at 11:08 am

I don’t count Lordstown, that company is a scam not a real competitor. The whole company was built on figuring political angles not engineering. They started it because GM was in hot water for closing the Lordstown plant, they were able to pick the plant up for cheap or maybe for nothing because GM needed a way to deflect criticism for putting people out of work. The most telling thing is that they never want to show their truck. Last year they had Mike Pence visit their plant and it was nothing but a campaign event, they didn’t take the opportunity to showcase their product, it wasn’t mentioned. Then there was the Baja 40. The first time they took their truck out of their parking lot was to run the Baja 1000, they made it 40 miles before they had to quit. It’s hard to imagine that anyone but a complete moron would think it was a good idea to enter a vehicle into a high profile event without having tested the hell out of it beforehand so that they would have confidence that it could finish. But they hadn’t even driven their truck to Dayton and yet they expected it to be able to cross 1000 miles of Mexican desert, clearly no engineers were involved in that decision.

Rivian is the real deal. They’ve been publicly demonstrating their truck under severe conditions for a couple of years. They had very high profile investors, Ford and Amazon, who in theory were able to access their capabilities. But the production rate that they hope to get to this year is an Aptera production rate, 50 cars per week, not the high volume rate that they need to get to.

• Patrick Liebknecht

February 1, 2022 at 5:56 pm

I responded to an aptera post on IG and they said they still plan to deliver cars by the end of 2022 to their “earliest” preorders.

• Thomas Bushaw

February 4, 2022 at 7:51 pm

The “My Account” header had been telling me 2022 delivery which I knew was a pipe dream — considering what I’ve read here and that I didn’t place my reservation until late November 2021. The header now says “Between 2023 and 2024” — disappointing, of course, but presumabley more realistic. Patience is a virture.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Thomas Bushaw.
  • Lord Chad Dunham

February 4, 2022 at 7:53 pm

My estimated time has now been pushed back from 2022 to 2023-2024. It is a little disappointing, but acceptable. Looks like I will be hoping for my Arcimoto reservation to come up first.

• GLEN KIRK

February 4, 2022 at 8:39 pm

Just checked, mine is now they same date range Reservation number was around 5000.

I knew 2022 was not going to happen, so I ordered a new pickup since I needed a new vehicle pretty desperately, so I’m ok for 2022., Plus my car budget is now blown for this year.

Getting an ev in 2023, one way or another, would like it to be an aptera, but if that’s not in the cards, there are a lot of options and I’ll get one of those. My suspicion is that is what’s going to happen.

Wanted the aptera for the range, but the pickup will cover traveling in locations without much charging infrastructure, which the aptera would have covered. But an interstate, City to city ev will work for the not blue highway trips.

Hope aptera succeeds, since I’m a small investor, so if nothing else pure greed motivates me. 😁

• Joseph DelVecchio

February 4, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Anyone out there who got an update to something other than 2023-2024? If so, what’s your reservation number? Mine updated to 23-24, and I’m about #1450.

• Riley ________________________________

February 5, 2022 at 12:50 am

Same 23-24 I am 700 in line and close to factory.

• BRUCE MENGLER

February 5, 2022 at 5:45 am

Same 23-24; I am #26 & under 15 miles from assembly building in Carlsbad.
        I ordered the 400 mile Paradigm model with 15 minutes after orders were accepted. 🙁

• Thomas Bushaw

February 5, 2022 at 6:19 am

Okay, if you, at #26, are also 2023-2024 (the optimist in me speculates that maybe this was a global change — everybody’s “2022” is now “Between 2023 and 2024”), then 2023 for me is probably still a pipe dream.

Also, I’ve read here (and elsewhere, maybe) that the reservation number doesn’t necessarily correlate to one’s place in line. Does anyone know if this is the case or not? My number is surprisingly low (but not #26! 😢) for a November 2021 reservation. And, of course, I expect there will be quite a few reservations (or at least some) that will cancel between now and when their number comes up.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

February 5, 2022 at 6:50 am

Thomas, when Aptera updated it’s website in August 2021, it reset all the automated order numbers to zero. Order numbers also now include merch orders as well. At this time really no good way to estimate where you sit in the overall queue, except by correlating to the occasional Aptera updates on total reservations and the date they put that out vs your reservation date.

• Thomas Bushaw

February 5, 2022 at 7:25 am

Thanks, Oz Man. My best guess is that there will have to be ~300 days of 40/vehicles produced per day before my number comes up. Of course, that assumes there are no cancellations. There’s no point in trying to overthink it at this stage!

• Efrain Goody

April 18, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Also, they are going to be building based on specification groups* rather than reservation date, although I would assume that within groups, reservation date would still apply.

*see youtu.be/7CQm9kHwuiw?list=TLPQMTgwNDIwMjJocC1C-RPdpQ&t=669 for more information on delivery order.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Efrain Goody. Reason: full video thumbnail not required
  • Les Benn

February 4, 2022 at 10:45 pm

Hi Cameron, My order # 11946 Delivery time just been updated from 2022 to 2023 – 2024, which l expected.Regards Les Benn

• Joshua Rosen

February 5, 2022 at 7:22 am

Mine has been updated to 2023-2024 also. I’m willing to give them until spring 2023 but after that my interest will have waned. The big selling point for me of the Aptera is range and by 2024 that will no longer be an issue, Tesla will have put 4680s into the Model 3 by then which would make an upgrade from my current 3 attractive.

• GLEN KIRK

February 5, 2022 at 8:33 am

My feelings are similar. While the Aptera has many other cool features, the main thing for me was the range. Currently it’s simply not viable to drive an ev to many of the places I like to go. This is why when it became obvious that aptera would not arrive this year, I ordered a hybrid pickup as opposed to a fully electric pickup (not that I’m likely to have that option this year). Even with 300 mile range it’s not viable to go to say Republic Washington and come back according to abrp. To get me back it routes me though Canada, and besides adding 100’s of miles to the trip it’s not even possible at the moment due to border closures.

By 2024 even if the range has not increased significantly, hopefully some of the empty spaces will have some dc fast chargers, so other EVs will be an option. The simple fact is is that without about a 500 or greater range, large chunks of the western us are no go zones for EVs.

I really want to go full electric, but at the moment I can’t. If I could get a 600 mile aptera and say a short range lightening for truck stuff around the place that is a must for me, but nobody at the moment is going to sell me any of those. looks like I have to keep killing the planet.

• Cameron McGuinness

February 6, 2022 at 7:42 am

Thanks Les,

When I posted I was referencing the 2022 delivery time frame. My is now saying 2023/24 which is probably more correct but now I’m starting to think 2025 for over sea’s orders.

• Greg Sims Sims

February 5, 2022 at 9:34 am

I order on the first day in the morning EST, I believe my order number is 10035. I think it must have started at 10000. I order the 400-mile version, which I believe is the first version to be built. So I was very surprised to see my order day the same as everyone else, moved from 2022 to 2023 – 2024. My only assumption is there must be a lot of changes from the beta testing? Very disappointing.

• Scott Price

February 5, 2022 at 9:51 am

I doubt very much that there is any actual algorithm behind what is currently displayed in our accounts and when someone’s order may actually be delivered. This was very likely just a global website text update for every reservation holder to more correctly reset general expectations.

Since Aptera has already said that initial deliveries will not occur until late this year and production volume will at first be minimal with a ramp-up period, they may “pleasantly surprise” a relatively few very early reservation holders such as yourself with a 2022 delivery (potential to under promise and over deliver). However, for the vast majority of reservation holders, we are looking at 2023-2024 even with the current official plan of record and assuming it does not slip again. So, a global text change on the website would be an easy thing to do and is my personal opinion / theory on what’s going on. Likely nothing new with that text change, at least until they separately announce if their first production date slips again.

• John LaRocque

February 5, 2022 at 2:01 pm

I would assume the “2023-2024” estimate is hard-coded, not determined per-order – I’ve never heard of two people having different estimates at the same time.

(That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if even early orders like yours end up being delivered into 2023.)

• David Marlow

February 5, 2022 at 10:33 am

Ford just announced stopping production at a few plants due to the chip shortage , Hopefully this problem will be over in the next 6 months.

• G Johns

February 5, 2022 at 1:07 pm

I just noticed my delivery date has changed from 2022 to 2023-24. Oh well, I’ll keep waiting because it’s still a vehicle I would like. Looks like I’ll be directly burning some more fossil fuel and doing some oil changes, keeping my ice engines repaired, things I hoped I would stop doing this year.

I rarely show much emotion but if I get delivery of an Aptera someday, as soon as I get around the corner I think I will let myself have a good cry. Hope I don’t electrocute myself the thing uses 480 volts or something and I will have been holding back tears for years by 2024. I’ll also keep the window open so I don’t accidently drown.

Another thought, the battery tech will have another year or two of development so maybe the ranges will be improved or cost less.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  G Johns.
  • IA -1

February 5, 2022 at 1:54 pm

2023-2024 is the realistic delivery time, based on Aptera’s target production of 40 vehicles per day with their existing (not yet operational) assembly plant. If they start the production in 06/2022 and if they immediately start producing 40 vehicles per day (which won’t happen probably until the end of 2022), their maximum production rate per year would be 10,400 vehicles. They could ramp up the production by opening more small assembly plants, but the soonest that would happen is probably 2nd half of 2023. So 2023-2024 is not that bad.

• Joel Smith

February 5, 2022 at 8:24 pm

Looks like they too realized the dubious dates they were giving might be read wrong and have updated, at least mine to a more realistic, if disappointingly vague promise. Mine looked the same as Cameron’s a few days ago.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Joel Smith.
  • Patrick Liebknecht

February 5, 2022 at 9:17 pm

Mine as well. I feel better seeing something realistic , gives me more time to put away OTmoney, should be able to pay cash for it when it comes in and have money left over for a replacement for my Volvo in-between now and delivery

I like that idea. LoL

• John Malcom

February 6, 2022 at 11:34 am

I think all (Early, mid, late) have been moved, and a guess, to the same broad range. I think do to a number of factors to include supply chain as noted by David Marlow’s post, learning from the current beta testing, and expectations of potential volume of “Learnings” from future testing, the schedule has been moved out.

I appreciate getting this notice at this point rather than later in the year and I believe more representative of reality in the industry as a whole. It may be a part of “Under promise” and “Over deliver” as well as there is some probability of deliveries in late 2022.

Some of us will be disappointed some others expecting something like this, but because of the great potential of the vehicle we will be patient. Many on the forum are proponents of “Get it right” before production. This extension will provide more time for Aptera to do so and to take away any sense of rushing to get something in the market.

As potential owners we feel disappointed, but there is negative impact to Aptera as well. Instead of getting revenue from operating income from the end of 2022 to support production, further R&D, and expansion, Aptera will now have to depend on private and potentially venture capital. This may already be underway with the addition of Brian Snow to the Board and funding from Impala Ventures.

Certainly no signs of financial difficulties at this point and I would expect the founders to maintain control of Aptera and continue their remarkable performance with a limiting budget and staff.

The company management and engineering group are so impressive! Sets a standard for other startups to learn from and emulate.

• GLEN KIRK

February 6, 2022 at 11:54 am

I pretty much agree with John’s comments. I think overall it’s not that bad for aptera itself, and may give them a chance to improve the vehicle.

While I understand why they did it, I think the 2 year delivery window timeframe is freaking people out a bit. I know it did me.

However personally, I really want to get an ev by early summer 2023. If not aptera, then it will need to be something else, particularly due to the fact that due to my build, the aptera might not even work for me comfortably. Plus I’ve ordered a hybrid f150 to handle my driving in the middle of nowhere needs that the aptera would have covered. So now I feel more comfortable getting a regular range ev to cover my freeway/ city driving.

Since that’s a sample size of one, it doesn’t really matter to anyone but me.

• Jacob Bunce

February 6, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Same here (2023 – 2024 date).

Works for me. I’ve got a 2014 Civic with 70k miles on it. It will last me.

• Pistonboy Delux

February 6, 2022 at 6:34 pm

What is the meaning of “between” 2023 and 2024?

2023.5 is between those two numbers.

• Llewellyn Evans

February 7, 2022 at 12:16 am

You could reasonably read it as 2023 OR 2024

• Audra

Administrator
    February 7, 2022 at 10:50 am

Hi Aptera Members!

Some customers may have noticed the dates for delivery of Aptera have been updated in the member portal. We’d like to assure you that our production goals and timeline have not changed. 2023-2024 is a range that will depend on your specific configuration choice, reservation date, and where you live in the world. Our goal is to begin deliveries to our earliest Paradigm Edition customers in 2022, followed by as many U.S. customers as possible in 2023 until we ramp up to our manufacturing goal of 40 per day. We hope to start international deliveries in 2024. Our Aptera team will be reaching out to everyone individually with more clarity on exact delivery dates in the later part of 2022. Our priority is to build the highest quality solar electric vehicle while getting Aptera to our customers as quickly as possible. Our community is welcome to email info@aptera.us with any questions in the meantime.

• Elzo Stubbe

February 7, 2022 at 11:56 am

Hope dear Audra can handle all those questions with her team and if not: Make a statement like this one. It really helps!

• Pistonboy Delux

February 7, 2022 at 2:43 pm

This is one of the most informative updates I have seen from Aptera.

Cheers for Audra ! ! !

Viewing 1 - 25 of 32 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now