Rear Lighting

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Rear Lighting

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Rear Lighting

• Rear Lighting

Dennis Swaney updated 1 week ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • Dennis Swaney

July 31, 2022 at 9:12 am

The thread on sequential rear turn signals triggered the following thoughts.

The rear turn signals on the Alpha & Beta builds are red. IIRC, the EU requires they be amber, so shouldn’t the final design have amber rear turn signals? This should not be a problem with the use of dual color LEDs like those used in the front of recent vehicles that are both white & amber: white as DRLs that turn amber when the turn signals are activated. Actually they might have to be tri-color: red for tail lights, bright red for brake lights, and amber for turn signals,

The other question regards fog lights, both front and rear. Again, this may be limited to only certain European countries, but German cars usually have a bright red rear fog warning light on the left. I wonder how Aptera will meet those requirements. Here is the left tail light assembly on my VW Jetta Wagon:

• Kevin Bradbury

July 31, 2022 at 3:03 pm

In the US, an enclosed motorcycle doesn’t have to meet the same standards as an automobile. Not sure if the standards are different in Europe as well. Even so, there will be substantial design changes to meet European width requirements and I imagine they will take all other necessary changes in mind at that time.

• Dennis Swaney

July 31, 2022 at 8:09 pm

That really wasn’t what I was asking. I know these United States have very lax rules otherwise all turn signals front & rear, no matter the number of wheels, would be amber. It was only the Status of Forces Agreements that allowed US military members to use US spec vehicles in Europe. I was wondering what EUROPEAN specs (other than CCS2 charging) Aptera would have to meet and if rear amber turn signals and fog lights would be required. It would be interesting to see how Aptera would meet them. The rear turn signals being amber would be easy and the same could be used in North American Apterae. My Jetta light assembly was just an example of European lights.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now