Rear view displays

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Rear view displays

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Rear view displays

• Rear view displays

• Eric Alkema

May 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm

If it is a good idea to place the displays for the wing mirror cameras above the steering wh… er yoke, why not put the display for the rear view camera there as well? I seems like that would make it easier for your brain to stitch together view that you can’t see out the windows. Or is the central “mirror” required to be an actual mirror? (that would seem like a problem for the full solar option)

• Curtis Cibinel

May 17, 2022 at 5:51 pm

Fair point. The center mirror is already a camera system so no apparent reason it would need to be up-right from the driver. The original alpha plan was 4 displays. They cut one with the display behind the yoke (might need to be a hair larger if doing triple duty). Given the autocycle designation they likely can get away with it. Having only the 2 displays would cut costs both in materials, assembly and cabling.

• kerbe2705

May 17, 2022 at 9:21 pm

Interesting – a wide, panoramic “CinemaScope” view of the sides and rear of the vehicle!

With the already-mentioned facial tracking, the display could dim itself when it wasn’t being directly observed – which would be VERY cool – and much less visually distracting.

• Bob Kirchner

May 18, 2022 at 7:17 am

I LIKE this idea. Stitch together the three side and rear view images, and position the screen where the inside rear view mirror would be. This would allow the use of a steering wheel instead of a yoke.

Have both the rear view screen and the centre screen dim when not being directly observed by the driver, so it doesn’t interfere with distance vision in the dark.

Our Honda has a centre screen that will not dim when you dime the instrument panel lights. Under low visibility conditions it really cuts in to how far you can see. You can shut the screen down, but then you lose access to the screen’s functions.

• Eric Quinn

May 18, 2022 at 6:40 am

I would like them to do it like nascar did

Has its own display, I won’t mind it being in same place as traditional mirror is but its just a camera display

• Rob Spruijt

May 18, 2022 at 5:41 pm

That was the design so many years ago and it was one of many reasons I signed up back then. The design looks more streamlined and a bit less chunky now, but the triple display was brilliant and I’d love to see it coming back. It is just an odd idea that you would straight ahead for the left/right mirror and then look up for the middle section. Perhaps it is not easy to stick these three images in a continuous whole. But I love that idea.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Rob Spruijt.
    • Curtis Cibinel

May 18, 2022 at 8:42 pm

Stitching video from all 3 sources in real time would have been tricky without a high power computer in 2008; I suspect it can be done now without much concern or wasted power. If it can be done well then great but it isn’t worth wasting 30w constantly or having the display be 10 fps. This is somewhat similar to the virtual top down 360 view used in most vehicle for the last 5-10 years so I don’t think it should be a big deal.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now