Registration signs according to the law

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Registration signs according to the law

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Registration signs according to the law

• Registration signs according to the law

Dennis Swaney updated 4 weeks ago 18 Members · 25 Posts
  • GEORGY LUKYANCHUK

January 10, 2022 at 2:09 am

Everything is fine. BUT! How to attach a registration number to its front, without which it will not be released on the roads in any country? There are standards according to which the number should be read by cameras and located in the center of the front side, top or bottom. Consequently, the manufacturer will either have to modify the design with the registration number fasteners for each country, or the bumper body will have to be holed. And the number will hang. The incoming air flow under the hull will wave it like a flag with a high frequency, especially at speeds of 50 km per hour and above. This will loosen all fasteners and may even damage the case. Design by design, but it is necessary to take into account the realities of the laws.

• Llewellyn Evans

January 10, 2022 at 3:18 am

In Australia it is a motor tricycle that has the number plate on the back. No need for plates on the front in Australia because it uses the same rules as for motorcycles.

• GEORGY LUKYANCHUK

January 10, 2022 at 3:27 am

In Australia – no. But in a number of other countries, you may also need a sign on the front if traffic police recognize a car – criteria: weight and dimensions. Therefore, the manufacturer will have to prove that this is a motorcycle – the requirements for it are simpler, yes.

• Matthew Wakefield

June 5, 2022 at 9:50 pm

In Victoria (Australia) it will be a car as it has a body pan in front of the driver, and will be required to display a front license plate. Will be able to drive on a standard car license and not need a motorcycle license as the flip side.

• Nathan Hubbard

January 10, 2022 at 5:42 am

Most manufacturers will sell you a piece of plastic that can be mounted to the front of a vehicle for holding a plate there. I’m sure if Aptera enters a market where that is needed, they will have something available.

• William Taber

February 12, 2022 at 10:48 am

Our Tesla Model 3 came with the type of plate holder you speak of. Mounts with double-sided tape. There are also several third-party options available for sale.

• G Johns

January 10, 2022 at 6:12 am

No front plate required where I live.

• Lou Verner

January 11, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Both front and rear plates required in VA. Luckily, I’ll be moving to NC before my Aptera is ready and no front plate required there! I do see quite a few states where both plates visible so Aptera will have to be ready with front mounting option.

• Riley ________________________________

January 11, 2022 at 10:36 pm

Out of curiosity which country are you looking to register your aptera? If I had to put a license plate onto the front of my apera I would use a vinyl sticker plate that doesn’t require it to be bolted as to not affect aerodynamics. Also most places on earth use much smaller plates on motorcycles which will help. Can’t find a single example of a motorcycle plate on the front of any car so if you are required it will be a very unique.

• Joshua Rosen

January 12, 2022 at 6:26 am

Where are vinyl license plates legal, is that a California thing? I’ve never heard of one in MA and can’t find any reference to them except as novelty plates from Amazon. I’m pretty sure that autocycles will use motorcycle plates here which are much smaller than car plates. I don’t know if a front plate will be required on an autocycle, they are on cars except if you have a really old plate that was made before the law changed.

January 12, 2022 at 6:55 am

I never heard of them till I moved to Europe, there were no options for plates to fit my American car so the sticker was better than drilling holes.

• GEORGY LUKYANCHUK

January 12, 2022 at 8:23 am

In Russia, it is not yet known whether the product will go like a motorcycle or a car – it may depend on the weight and dimensions, and not on the number of wheels.

In the photo above you can see an example of a state number according to Russian GOST.

• James Kyle

February 12, 2022 at 12:18 am

This is something that’s beginning to trouble me also. I mean first of all the car has to get past the UK standards and the 2235mm width of the car but should it get past that, there are also the plates to consider.

In the UK if its classed as a motorcycle/tricycle you only need one plate at rear of the vehicle. But there are minimum sizes for for the font, the spaces in between and the margin around the plate.

The minimum size you can get away with if its a motorcycle and you’ve got a standard 7 letter registration is 231 mm wide and 161 mm high. If you’ve a private plate with less letters then it will be smaller. But not by much, unless you own plate ‘A1’ which would be 121 mm high and 86 mm high.

My main concern is if the rear panel on the Aptera is smaller than that minimum 231×161 mm, then any plate attached to it would cause aerodynamic drag, which defeats the whole point of the car. The plate would also need to movable in order to access the charging point, meaning that a sticker plate isn’t an option because the size requirements.

It’s worth noting as well that stickers are usually not strictly legal either because they must be reflective and they tend not to be because the reflective paint that meets the UK standard isn’t flexible enough.

But if its classed as a quad cycle (which it likely will be due to its power output) it gets worse. It would legally fall into the same bracket as a normal car, meaning it will need a front plate as well, with a commensurate increase in the minimum font size and spacing requirements therefore a minimum rear and front plate of 438×101 mm for a standard 7 letter reg number.

Again a sticker plate isn’t really an option because of the reflectivity issue. Also any vehicle facing its first annual MOT inspection when 3 years old would fail the inspection without a reflective plate. An inflexible acrylic plate on the front of the car is going to double its drag.

I know that these issues are being looked at by the team and its likely at least two years before I see my Aptera but these are things that need addressing in the design phase of the car rather than as an afterthought.

February 12, 2022 at 3:55 am

Forgot about the MOT. My clever workaround was to just double sided tape on a rigid plate just for the test than remove it after.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

February 12, 2022 at 5:25 am

James, I believe that the charging point is not planned for the rear (Or at least not under the plate.) for the production models.

• Joel Smith

February 12, 2022 at 9:30 am

FAQ still says the charge port is under the license plate in the back but I too recall authoritative discussion of it being moved to be under a hatch in the front. Guess we will have to wait and see there.

The front location would seem to require shorter wires. Easy to imagine Munro & Associates pushing for that.

• Loz Keeley

June 4, 2022 at 7:18 am

@James Kyle This is bothering me too, I keep looking at the Morgan Three Wheeler (and now the Super 3), both have full size UK plates and I can’t help but think mounting these plates will harm the efficiency of the Aptera body work, we may get away with a stick on plate on the front but I’m sure recent changes in the UK law state the plate has to be presented flat so ANPR can read it.

I’m super excited to get an opportunity to buy an Aptera and I’m more than happy to wait till 2024, but if the plates compromise the efficiency of the vehicle there doesn’t seem much point in hanging on I may as well just buy a regular car, le sigh 😅

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 4, 2022 at 8:12 am

I think the Aptera engineers will come up with a solution that will retain the efficiency of the Aptera and provide for compliance with EU/Country regulations for the vehicles delivered to those geographies.

• Matthew Wakefield

June 5, 2022 at 10:09 pm

I agree, but pointing out issues early that they may not yet have considered as it’s outside the current design brief is useful as they go to lock in current designs for production.

Maybe the best thing all of us can do is collate our local requirements (with a supporting link) here?

Aptera is an M class vehicle in Australia so the relevant ADR is

• Matthew Wakefield

June 7, 2022 at 5:46 am

Also worth reiterating the experience of Morgan 3 wheelers with ADRs

Covering off as many aspects as possible in initial design will make life much easier down the track. I think the approach of Aptera is basically this, using the lower requirements of the autocycle to get units out the door, but having the goal to meet all the UN/ECE car requirements to be able to do minor modifications into most markets (or use APEC and the like to push harmonisation).

At least they won’t have the noise and emission issues Morgan had.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/morgan-3-wheeler-gets-adr-approval-finally-48715/

• Dennis Swaney

June 7, 2022 at 10:18 am

In these United States, 20 states do NOT require a front plate on 4 wheel vehicles:

• Alabama
            • Arizona
            • Arkansas
            • Delaware
            • Florida
            • Georgia
            • Indiana
            • Kansas
            • Kentucky
            • Louisiana
            • Michigan
            • Mississippi
            • New Mexico
            • North Carolina
            • Ohio
            • Oklahoma
            • Pennsylvania
            • South Carolina
            • Tennessee
            • West Virginia

Two & three wheeled vehicles only have a plate on the rear nationwide as far as I can tell.

• Richard Ries

June 4, 2022 at 12:34 pm

A custom bumper sticker is totally the way to go if you it’s required for the front of the car, just have 10-15 made and that would probably last a lifetime at 3-5 dollars each on amazon 😉

• Russell Fauver

June 4, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Just one plate on the rear of personal vehicles here in SC. Hopefully the Aptera will qualify as a motorcycle so it can have the smaller tag. I hate having to display a number that has the sole purpose of making it easier for the government to track and identify me as I travel. Yes, I know, my phone tracks me everywhere I carry it but LEOs and even the FBI need a warrant to access my phone data, they can access plate number info any time, anywhere, for any reason. At least with the smaller motorcycle tag they’ll have to look closer before pulling all my info up on their computers. Maybe they’ll even have to squint to read it, that’ll teach them!

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now