Removal of front seat possible?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Removal of front seat possible?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Removal of front seat possible?

• Removal of front seat possible?

Ling Cha updated 2 months ago 7 Members · 14 Posts
  • Ling Cha

May 7, 2022 at 7:03 am

My Prius is more like a truck and has been rigged for car camping for years. I lightened the vehicle by removing the front seat and spare tire and part of back seat which made a LOT of room for gear and a sleeping platform. Yes, the airbag light is on, but covered by tape. Is there any reason this could not be done with the Aptera? The vehicle balance is still fine due to weight of other gear etc.

• Curtis Cibinel

May 7, 2022 at 9:18 am

I cant see any scenario in which removing the seat would be a problem but anyone on the forum would be speculating. Might be best to submit this question to Aptera and let us all know.

• Ray Holan

May 7, 2022 at 1:29 pm

I too have done that on several of my cars in the past when I regularly hauled computer gear around. I hope this is possible on an Aptera without letting out the magic smoke somewhere.

• Ling Cha

May 7, 2022 at 2:10 pm

I did try to use a resistor recommended on some video which was stuck into the seat air bag connector after the seat was out that was supposed to keep the light from coming on by fooling the computer into thinking seat and airbag were still there, but it didn’t work for me and turned out it didn’t matter. At least as far as I know the other airbags should deploy if needed and the car still operates.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

May 7, 2022 at 3:31 pm

“At least as far as I know the other airbags should deploy if needed and the car still operates.”

At least you hope so…

• Ling Cha

May 7, 2022 at 3:43 pm

Most likely!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Ling Cha.
  • Ling Cha

May 7, 2022 at 3:40 pm

This is an item that Aptera can not comment about or more likely would discourage because modification to balance of vehicle, potential shorts or problems would void warranty perhaps or incur liability. So we must assume, and if we do this we are on our own and should NOT mention it ever!

• Ling Cha

May 7, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Lots of room in the Aptera, and the seats not as big and heavy as some cars anyway!

• Llewellyn Evans

May 7, 2022 at 3:51 pm

Fixed seat head rests contribute to roof crush strength in some vehicles.

• Ling Cha

May 7, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Good point!

• Vernon Michael Gardner

May 7, 2022 at 4:22 pm

Ling, I worked for Toyota until the early 2000’s, and if the Air Bag (SRS (supplemental restraint system)) warning was on, the air bag system and seat tensioners were disabled. Any technicians here working on SRS more recently able to verify if this is still the case?. Software may discount for failure location and trigger the other airbags as needed. Note: seat tensioners are multistage explosives built into the shoulder belts that trigger according to impact strength. We would detonate the old airbags and tensioners after removing the parts, before returning or trashing the parts.

• Gary Greenway

May 7, 2022 at 4:24 pm

No way will Aptera even comment on this since it might be construed as circumventing FMVSS rules requiring airbags. On the other hand, if you remove the seat is it still a designated seating position?

• Ling Cha

May 7, 2022 at 5:46 pm

Just out for a drive in the Prius, and it appears there is a button to disable the passenger airbag, and since that is the case it would seem unlikely if that button is pushed the SRS is disable. In fact, I don’t think the Prius would start and would get the red triangle of death. It remains to be seen then if the Aptera will also have an option to disable the passenger side airbag. Obviously, this option is so you can put a child carrier in that seat. Is it even legal to put a child seat in the front anymore? What if you have no rear seat like the Aptera? Does that mean that a baby could not be transported in the Aptera?

• Ling Cha

May 7, 2022 at 5:51 pm

A quick search found this about child seat in front. If it is accurate then an option to disable the passenger seat airbag would be necessary ..

“It is illegal to have a rear facing child car seat in the front seat if the air bag is active.”

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now