Replacing brake pads.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Replacing brake pads.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Replacing brake pads.

• Replacing brake pads.

• Pistonboy Delux

January 19, 2022 at 10:58 am

This video shows blown-up views of the hub motors. Replacing the brake pads would be more difficult, but probably not a big deal. The brake caliper and rotor would both have to pull out of the motor together. This would be doable, but my local brake guy would probably not touch it. Maybe I will have to go back to doing my own brakes.

Fortunately with regenerative braking, the brake pads would last a long time.

https://youtu.be/qApmFTXgs3s

It also shows the housing holding the inner and outer wheel bearings. They are very close together. This I dislike very much!

• Michael Hicks

January 19, 2022 at 12:13 pm

Looks like a piece of cake to me.

• John Smith

January 19, 2022 at 4:15 pm

With the light weight of the aptera and the regenerative braking it’s going to be a long long time until you have to do brakes.

• Guy SKEER

January 20, 2022 at 6:36 am

@Pistonboy Delux (et al) In the Article I posted about the M700, there was some verbiage about changing the Bearings to More Stout ones. apparently? one of the first uses of the M700 was for an electric version of the Smart Car…

And, Engineers being how they are, You know that I will have to Pull the Rotor off at least One of the Motors to admire/inspect everything, after a FewThousand Miles of Motoring.

• David Marlow

January 20, 2022 at 12:09 pm

My experience with my 2011 Volt, that has a moderate regen, is that iI replaced the rear pads at about 60k miles and now with 120k miles it still has the original front pads. The way breaking is done on the Volt is that with mild braking just the regen is applied with the Front wheel drive, with Moderate brake pressure the rear pads are applied then with harder braking the front pads are then applied. So by rarely braking hard, the front pads do not get much wear.

• John Malcom

January 20, 2022 at 4:54 pm

This is good to know! My son has a gen 1 volt. I am sure he doesn’t know this. I will pass it on. Thanks

• George Hughes

January 20, 2022 at 10:38 pm

I suspect the way brake inspections occur is when the in-wheel motors need scheduled maintenance somewhere between 30-60,000 miles. Similar motors from Elaphe probably destined for the ill-fated Lordstown pickup, which was a heavier duty use of the motors, had maintenance set at the lower figure. On the Aptera, lower horsepower, a lot less heat and weight involved suggests the schedule can be extended.

Still, the motor seals – the maintenance required – have to be replaced sometime in the first 75,000 miles and that process will allow precision review of the condition of the brake pads.

Considering the design of in-wheel motors like that used by Aptera provide massive regen that brakes are almost superfluous means they may last longer than even the most optimistic expectations.

• Guy SKEER

January 21, 2022 at 3:30 am

As a Career-Long maintenance Engineer (U.S. Merchant Ships, then U.S. Container Cranes), it tickles My Sensibilities to find, even deep within the Design, indications of Great Engineering and Great Decisions that augur Well for a “Long Life and Prosperity” to steal something from HollyWeird!

Citius, Altius, Fortius! and Lighter, as well! GO APTERA, GO!

• Joshua Rosen

January 21, 2022 at 6:57 am

I hope they will use stainless steel brakes. The big problem with brake pads in EVs is not wear, it’s rusting. On Tesla’s you have to clean and lubricate them every now and then, something I never did on an ICE car. On an ICE car the brakes get hot which dries out the water but on an EV they hardly get used so they don’t get heated nearly as often. There are brake pads made for EVs that don’t rust, I hope they know about these. They don’t salt the roads in San Diego so they may not be aware that this is a problem, hope that someone tells them that this is a real issue.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

January 21, 2022 at 8:34 am

Joshua, Likely, with the brakes being integral to the wheel motors, enough heat should be generated by the motors to keep them dry.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now