Retractable Wheels

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Retractable Wheels

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Retractable Wheels

• Retractable Wheels

Richard Palmisano updated 6 days ago 8 Members · 10 Posts
  • lawrence bekkerman

June 20, 2022 at 10:10 am

Wheels going in and out like the vehicle (Triggo EV) shown could be really useful for future Aptera roadsters; especially for parking and narrow roads.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

June 20, 2022 at 11:50 am

(Standard Response # 4) It’s not a roadster.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 20, 2022 at 1:15 pm

I would be very surprised if this mechanism could scale and be cost effective while having good handling characterizes.

The best way to retract would be hydraulic or air suspension would could cause the vehicle to stand higher as needed to save a few inches per side. Any such option would add substantial cost.

• Qiang Fu

June 20, 2022 at 6:28 pm

Yes. That would be a nice feature for off-road driving as well.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 20, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Id like to see if I can make a system to lift the wheel pants 3-5 inches using solonoids. This would essentially be push button offroad and better for parking. Hyperglycemia once it’s released and more details are available I’ll see if it’s viable.

• Qiang Fu

June 20, 2022 at 8:00 pm

I am very much looking forward to your one-button offroad/parking design!

• Riley ________________________________

June 20, 2022 at 2:44 pm

I agree with Curtis, lift the front suspension till it brings the wheels in more.

• Joel Smith

June 21, 2022 at 11:27 am

Some 20 years from now, when Aptera are as ubiquitous and reliable as old Honda Civics and Accords, the kids of the day will be buying them cheap and then spending ridiculous amounts extra tricking them out. It is easy to imagine a mod to make the wheel pods retract being just the sort of weakly justified (really frivolous) change that would appeal to enough folks that someone will make their fortune coming up with and marketing it.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

June 22, 2022 at 4:59 pm

BMW i3 type tires for thinner wheels and wheel cover? to replace wheel, mail it to user.

it could still work on normal wheels if needed, but most the time its a thinner wheel, lowerinf rolling resistence and areodynamoic drag

• Richard Palmisano

June 23, 2022 at 7:51 am

Complexity that is niche and doesn’t really accelerate production, IMHO.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now