Revised Beta Interior

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Revised Beta Interior

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Revised Beta Interior

• Revised Beta Interior

Bart Cunningham updated 3 months ago 21 Members · 38 Posts
  • Dean McManis

March 26, 2022 at 12:51 pm

Aptera’s recent update video confirmed the revised the beta interior, and Jason added helpful information about the interior development progress and reasoning for recent changes. I know that we will hear about people who hate the yoke steering, but I personally like it in the Aptera, Most people who I have spoken to who own a new Tesla with the yoke steering say that they like it overall, and it only took a little time to adapt to it. Many don’t like Tesla’s finger operated horn button and lack of turn signal stalks, to which I agree. Another new design change is the dash mounted screen behind the steering yoke. This I think could be a great idea, depending on how it is implemented. I hope that the view is selectable so that you can view other important items normally, like speed, warnings, charge, GPS directions, music, etc. I’d like the option to have it only display the side view when using the turn signal or a button, so that it’s not normally distracting. It would be nice to have the option to have the left side view on the small screen, and the right view on the right-most upper corner of the big, center screen. Overall, I like the interior revisions, but I would prefer the option of black cloth/plastic for all touchable surfaces. I’ve owned (and regretted) white interiors before, and even though light surfaces look clean and open when new, many don’t age well under daily commuter use. What do you all think?

• Len Nowak

March 26, 2022 at 1:27 pm

I am in the same place with your on the “nice looking” yoke.

(I have never drove a vehicle with one)

I assume by summer 2022 we will know the turning lock to lock turning range of the yoke

I live in southern AZ so I always lean to a lighter interior. Surface temp and less heat build up

I test drove and have my wife’s Kia EV 6 on order. They have a similarly mounted display screen screen over the steering wheel (matching one to right) but the circular side view comes on instantly when you flick on the direction. I only test drove but liked it! They have conventional side view mirrors too The GT line also had 360 degree aerial view display too for parking. All “seemed” nice and easy to adapt to.

I suppose IF that is the way Aptera is going with the side view displays with mirrors, test drive a KIA EV 6 or any with the same design “to get a taste”

Everyone has their needs/regions

I adapt easily to many things. I hope my wide does :(, 😉

• Dean McManis

March 26, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for the real world perspective from your Kia experience. I’ve always liked that 360 degree arial view capability/feature.

• Joseph DelVecchio

March 31, 2022 at 9:53 pm

It seems to me the yoke is to allow better visibility of that single screen behind the steering wheel. I’d say that screen is a cost-saving measure as it is far less intuitive than the original 2-screen design. The fabric covering of the wheel has to be one of the worst ideas ever. How filthy and worn will that be in a year? For the most part, aside from possibly the seats, the beta interior is a big step backward.

• Bob Kirchner

March 26, 2022 at 2:04 pm

I think that to maintain situational awareness you need to be able to see the side view images at all times, not just when signalling.

• Dean McManis

March 26, 2022 at 2:09 pm

Remember that you will have the windows and actual mirrors too for visibility. I agree that they should have the option to have the side screens always on, but they should have them user-configurable for those of us who don’t want the visual distraction always in center view.

• Greg Vickery

March 28, 2022 at 12:49 pm

Bob, I have to agree with you on the center screen. Looking at both sides of the vehicle in the same area over turning your head back and forth is definitely safer. I always look before signaling so engaging the screen from signaling is not an option I would favor.

• Bob Kirchner

March 29, 2022 at 7:48 am

I wonder if the images from the side cameras could be stitched together with the image from the rear camera to give a full rearward panorama. One glance for full rearward awareness.

• John Wiley

March 27, 2022 at 12:19 pm

I agree. Smooth leather or similar product for all surfaces that will have contact with my hands. I don’t want to be putting on driving gloves or have to wash my hands every time I’m about to get into the car and drive to avoid creating dirty unsightly surfaces.

• Lord Chad Dunham

March 27, 2022 at 3:39 pm

I’m not a fan of the cloth steering wheel……or seats (give me leather!). I am planning on using this for business if all of my tools fit. There are some days where I am just filthy after a job. While I do plan to carry extra covers and stuff with me, the steering wheel will get nasty over time.

• Bob Kirchner

March 29, 2022 at 7:51 am

I’m with you here. There are days when I’m just filthy whether I’ve been working or not.

No need for leather for me. Synthetic is fine.

• Lord Chad Dunham

March 29, 2022 at 9:43 am

Sandy Monroe was talking about how the synthetics are what get super hot/cold. The leathers don’t transfer heat as well. In the same video he mentioned that there is a lot of wasted leather that could be implemented in vehicles.

• kerbe2705

March 28, 2022 at 11:46 am
    • Dean McManis

March 28, 2022 at 12:06 pm

Sharp eyes! Thanks.

• kerbe2705

March 28, 2022 at 2:04 pm

@Dean McManis Just click to enlarge! 😄

• Lord Chad Dunham

March 31, 2022 at 9:42 pm

While I understand this adds to the accents, I really hope they don’t use bright orange for the seat belt color. I would hate for the cops to learn to recognize that then to use that for the things they look for if someone is wearing the seat belt or not. Sometimes I wear it. Sometimes I don’t. I will also find a way to disable the seat belt alert if it is annoyingly relentless. I’ve done that in 3 different vehicles. My GMC is great it chimes after 5 minutes and then I never hear it again.

• Russell Fauver

April 1, 2022 at 8:03 pm

Maybe you won’t need them in your area, most states don’t mandate seatbelt use on motorcycles 🙂

• kerbe2705

March 28, 2022 at 11:47 am

@Dean McManis Check the image on the left, below: There appears to be a stalk on the left side of the yoke…

• Dean McManis

April 2, 2022 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, I spotted them. Thanks. I had just been wondering if Aptera had chosen other Tesla design options like the stalks, directional shifting, and a horn finger buttons. But so far it looks like it’s just the yoke that was adopted. Which for me is fine.

• Peter Jorgensen

March 28, 2022 at 1:31 pm

Seriously… If they use cloth on the steering wheel I’m going to buy a different steering wheel or otherwise make one with leather. It can’t be that hard – especially with no airbag in the wheel… Although it doesn’t look like they are putting airbags in the seatbelt in this design – so maybe they found a wheel supplier that will work with them?

• Peter Jorgensen

March 28, 2022 at 1:36 pm

Here are typical aviation seatbelt airbags (At least the ones I’ve used).

• John Trotter

March 29, 2022 at 8:26 pm

How does an aviation air bag in the belt team up with any side impact curtains or leg restraints (prevents “submarining”)? Modern cars have more than just forward chest and head protection.

• kerbe2705

March 29, 2022 at 9:09 pm

The sole difference is that, in an aviation-style airbag, the primary bags aren’t exploding into the faces of the driver and passenger. The provide exactly the same protection without the risk. Any other airbags – side curtain, etc. – would work the same way as they usually do. “Submarining” is counteracted by the seatbelt and dashboard, not knee-level airbags.

• Russell Fauver

March 29, 2022 at 5:34 am

I like the idea of having the side cameras displayed right in front. Being able to see what’s on either side of the vehicle without taking your eye off the road seems like a good improvement.

I’m not keen on the idea of removing the top half of the steering wheel. Driving my 23 year old commuter car yesterday I took a look at the wheel, the area that shows the most wear is from the 9 to 12 o’clock position. Also noticed myself letting the wheel slip through my hand when turning at an intersection or leaving a parking spot. It may take me a while to transition to using just the bottom half of a steering wheel. I guess I could replace it with a full round one if this old dog can’t learn a new trick.

• Rodney Kagy

March 29, 2022 at 1:41 pm

I have a 2022 Hyundai Sonata which uses a side view camera display (in addition to the mirrors). It shows up as a circular projection on the driver’s instrument cluster. Left turn view on the left side and right turn view on the right side. It is activated be the turn signal. A little distracting at first but a good idea once you get used to it.’

• Dean McManis

April 2, 2022 at 9:32 pm

Yeah, I saw how Hyundai handled the side camera views, and it looks like a good implementation, with the side view showing up on the center driver screen when the driver signals or if there is a vehicle in the blind spot area on either side of the car.

• kerbe2705

April 2, 2022 at 9:42 pm

Honda’s had “Lane Watch” – a camera in the passenger-side wing mirror that casts video of the side view to the center screen whenever the directional is activated – for years. It can also be activated by depressing a button on the directional stalk. BUT it’s one-sided.

• Bart Cunningham

April 5, 2022 at 2:12 am

I have a 2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited and after driving it for two years I am still not used to looking at the rear view displays on the dash. I do like the idea but I rarely look at them and instead look at the physical side mirrors. I guess if I didn’t have them I would adjust though. The backup camera with the overhead view is awesome though and I use those way more than the mirrors when backing up.

• Ben Aring

March 29, 2022 at 4:26 pm

Are there really no physical controls for HVAC or even a volume knob? That will really be a let down.

• Jonah Jorgenson

March 29, 2022 at 5:14 pm

That is correct no physical controls. All on the central screen. Very similar to Tesla which seems to be a pattern with Aptera.

• Bart Cunningham

April 5, 2022 at 2:14 am

I set my HVAC controls to what I want and rarely ever need to touch them. With a proper HVAC system you should not need to fiddle with the knobs constantly.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

March 29, 2022 at 6:38 pm

errible steering wheel, i commented on what a good steering wheel and a alternative are of space between occupants to make car less wide (its currently can barely fit into some parking spaces probably a big reason why many people havn’t yet brought aptera) would be in another thread, but if i rerember right we were told not to send links to other forums. i guess they wanted to prevent the aptera employee from having to accidently re-read stuff. i think my wheel design is better than ones even in many sports cars.

i don’t remember if i already said these but:

screen in middle better have basic controls with big bold color graphics for easy use, like how on i phone u can slide finger from top of screen downward to change some phone settings, lot of people will keep it in that page and rarely look at anything else. can have this same semi auto scrolling through pages of similar settings, so a smaller screen can still have big easy to use switches.

the dashboard mirrors and screen will need some roof over it and around it like normal old honda toyota cars, to cover from sunlight outshining the brightness of display, blinding driver from being able to read it.

glove box can simply be a net and a mental “drawstring cordstop” tightening device like that on “hoodie” clothing and some “sweatpants”. this would allow more things to be stored with less legspace for smaller people, or more legspace for bigger people in turn for less storage. regardless of use case, it’ll be lightweight and cheaper. the dashboard could be a structural bar, and airbag system attached.

a big reason why people buy “SUV” is so they can see over other “suv” cars, so they can plan ahead in terms of where they want to go in traffic. maybe it would be worth it to have a camera on a stick, like a radio antenna that old cars had and some offroaders still have, except it wouldnt bend in cars movement. it could also act as antenna

compact/subcompact SUVs are more in demand than bigger ones, so its not only a matter of “i need more space for my junkie materialistic lifestyle of endless dis-satisfaction.” the other part of it is the perception that heavier cars being safer in a crash, “apteras owners club” did a video on this concerning aptera.

• Pistonboy Delux

March 31, 2022 at 2:27 pm

The alpha vehicle had the latest wedge shaped Tesla steering column stalks. Now it looks like Aptera is using the earlier round stalks. I guess Tesla did not want Aptera using the latest Tesla items. Tesla preferred Aptera using the earlier discontinued stalks.

The glove compartment door is more form fitting and conforming to the curvature of the dash. I think it looks better. Hope it is also cloth covered like the dash.

I wonder how the headrest will look after greasy heads use it.

I sure hope the steering yoke is covered in dark vinyl. It will not show the dirt like white cloth, which is just impractical.

The interior edge of the body door opening formerly had a smooth curve to it. Now it has uneven lumps in it. The earlier design was more flowing and looked better.

I wonder what the buttons on the steering yoke control.

• Scott Price

March 31, 2022 at 11:25 pm

Just as an interesting point of comparison, here are 2 short videos showing interior features of the pricey Lightyear One:

Video showing touchscreen, wheel, and general interior layout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VktgG1V-SVA

Video showing rearview cameras (no mirror) and associated interior left and right display screens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KThtPccLKk4

• V Pilot

April 1, 2022 at 2:28 pm

Wow, how novel. An electric car with rear view screens where you would normally look and a round steering wheel. I like it, hopefully the Lightyear Two will have that as well.

• IA -1

April 1, 2022 at 2:41 pm

That’s the proper way to do it, although the Aptera Alpha had a better location for the side view camera screens. Unfortunately, they decide to change that and go with one screen behind the yoke.

• Dean McManis

April 2, 2022 at 9:41 pm

I prefer the Aptera Beta interior design to both the Alpha design, and the Lightyear One. Those designs look fine, and I could easily live with them, but the smallish side view screens look a bit cheap and dated to me. I like having the yoke and screen above it, but the success of that design will depend on how they implement the views and options for use. If it is customizable with the Crank software (with the user able to choose which and when they see camera views displayed), then it could be great. If it is simply the left ad right side view cameras permanently split on the small screen, then it could be distracting during normal driving.

• Karl Holbert

April 4, 2022 at 8:54 am

Here are my2 cents… This is coming from a 20+ year career as an environment artist and art director with no experience in material engineering or development (in a computer anything is possible LOL ). I really like the direction that the interior is headed. The yoke is an interesting concept and the extra field of view that it gives to the displays is certainly welcomed. I really like the rework of the door cards, although I do miss the extra pop of color that was in the armrest on the alpha interior. The seats look nicer and I do like the negative space introduced between the headrest and the seat back. I do very much miss the hip bolsters from the alpha, but could see how they might be harder to maneuver around when entering and exiting the vehicle. I think the only thing I really do dislike when compared to the Alpha is the materials. The knit look materials on the dash and esp on the wheel just don’t feel like they fit with the very futuristic aesthetic of the rest of the Aptera (again just my opinion). This is the area that I would most like to see fixed going forward if possible. I worry that this would be difficult to clean and maintain especially on touch surfaces like the yoke. I know this is still a WIP and Aptera seems to be a company that will certainly review feedback so I am interested to see what happens going forward.

Viewing 1 - 16 of 16 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now