San Diego Business Journal on Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions San Diego Business Journal on Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions San Diego Business Journal on Aptera

• San Diego Business Journal on Aptera

• BRUCE MENGLER

January 31, 2022 at 6:05 pm
  • kerbe2705

January 31, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Great find! Not bad, although they misspelled “Munro”…

• Jon_J

February 1, 2022 at 2:44 pm

Yes, and they say Aptera Motors was founded in 2005. The trolls on YouTube will love this. 😆

• John Malcom

January 31, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for this! Aptera is being highlighted every where now it seems. glad to see the word is getting out so much

• Henry Kitt

February 1, 2022 at 1:07 am

IPO in 9 months is a bit scary. I was really hoping for a minimum of 100 deliveries and a new 4 wheel vehicle unveil before the IPO, which will be very hard to meet in that time frame. The market has been becoming increasingly skeptical but not so much after real deliveries and reviews are under way, commanding a sky high valuation on day 1.

Perhaps at least a couple deliveries will occur within that time though…

• Jon Arryn

February 1, 2022 at 4:29 am

“We’ve had amazing progress in terms of design,” said Aptera co-CEO Chris Anthony. The company is wrapping up testing its Beta model and has been working on its Gamma design for the last six months…”

So only one Beta now, instead of the 6-12 mentioned by Chris last summer? How many Gamma’s on tap to build? I’m assuming those will be the ones crash tested and perhaps that one beta? I’m looking forward to the results of those crash tests. Hopefully a third party is going to test? Moving to Gamma now makes sense to me time-wise. Personally, I had a difficult time rationalizing a path forward to production this year, with so many Betas yet to build/test followed by Gamma models to build/test, before settling on production Delta. It just seemed a little aggressive. I’m an outsider on Aptera development, but decades of experience with product development, albeit mostly software…

Aptera notwithstanding, electric vehicles are typically heavier than ICE cars (duh). All things being otherwise equal, heavier vehicles do better in a crash against a lighter vehicle; simple physics, conservation/transfer of energy, etc… I know they purport the advantages of their composite shell vs steel, and build comparisons to F1 cars. However, if you think about it, F1 cars are engineered to worry about almost identical (weight/size/structure) other F1 cars to crash with; like against like. How well does an Aptera perform, say, against a Rivian R1T (5,886lbs, vs 1,800lbs)? I bet that wingless bird takes flight if rear-ended by a Rivian. Also, how easy (or not) is it to shear off a front wheel in a sideswipe or offset crash etc…?

• John Malcom

February 1, 2022 at 12:07 pm

There is only one Beta at the moment, the one being used for testing the suspension. That Beta may be repurposed to test other things as well. More purpose Betas will be built to test other things. Some of those other Betas may be repurposed as well. The thought here is to build the smallest number of Betas to test everything that needs to be tested to conserve resources. Six to 12 Betas are in the plan and resourced. The fewer of those you actually have to build to complete all testing, the better off you are financially.

• Jon_J

February 1, 2022 at 2:38 pm

I’d consider the wheels to be sacrificial in the event of a sideswipe or offset crash. I see this as a positive thing as the energy of the crash might be minimally transferred to the cabin where it could injure the occupants. The shape of the Aptera front end looks to further increase the possibility of a glancing blow, rather than a direct hit. It would depend upon what forces at what angles are required to remove the wheel assembly.

• George Hughes

February 2, 2022 at 4:07 pm

Jon:

I don’t think there is an Aptera investor that has not grappled with the issue of crash safety.

When I was wrangling with the issue, I remembered seeing and reading about the ‘titanium’ or whatever special high-strength shell the Smartfortwo used to protect passengers.

Here are a couple of videos starting with the British “Fifth Gear” television program that crashed a SmartForTwo into a concrete barrier at something like 75 mph. That’s followed with a bit of Mercedes-Benz PR – they make the smart car – in which they did a frontal off-set crash with a big MB sedan. Finally, there is a bit from I think the IIHS which did the official crash testing for the Smartfortwo and discusses the exact issue you mention in regard to ‘big vehicles.’

I chose the Smartfortwo for comparison because of its weight – it is comparatively light like Aptera – and it is really one of the few small cars that truly seems too small to be anything but a death trap.

What you’ll gather from the attached videos is the extreme importance of a strong shell around the passenger compartment and the other being that even when hit at the side by IIHS Large SUV type battering ram in the side impact test, it didn’t bounce away.

Also, if you think about it a little closer, the Formula 1 similarities are greater than you initially think. Most of the F1 crashes involve spins into barriers and flying and flipping. Because the racers are all going the same direction, the risk of head-on collisions are minimal and the greatest danger from barriers which may impact anywhere (360 degrees). This example also emphasizes the benefit of a high-strength cockpit made from composites.

This engineered construction is designed with a passive safety design based on the high-strength cocoon, appropriate air-bags and being properly strapped in.

I will say that the dedicated crush zone of the Aptera appears to be three-to-four times as generous on frontal crashes (compared to the Smartfortwo) and infinitely greater rear protection because the Aptera, despite its light weight, is dimensionally much larger than the Smart car.

When considering Aptera’s safety you should also consider its active safety ability – i.e. its ability to avoid a crash. I’m waiting for someone to do an official ‘moose test’ on the Aptera putting it on a list with its maximum speed through the maneuver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GGGoUf8vig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz-s1sIoLhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz-s1sIoLhU

In any case, Aptera’s basic design touches the right points for safety. Aptera has also suggested that it has passed a more informal moose test but, like all of you, I’m reserving final judgment until actual data is obtained. But I’m optimistic that in the end, this may be one of the safest vehicles available at any price or size.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  George Hughes. Reason: add summary

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now