Self Leveling Shocks

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Self Leveling Shocks

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Self Leveling Shocks

• Self Leveling Shocks

Guy SKEER updated 3 months, 2 weeks ago 8 Members · 14 Posts
  • Tim Dean

March 8, 2022 at 7:25 pm

With so much space behind the seats and a 500# cargo capacity (including 2 passengers) and only 1 rear suspension, there needs to be a self leveling system which compensates for cargo weight. Also, the passenger seat needs to be easily removed & re-installed to a improve cargo weight distribution & capacity for safety.

• John Malcom

March 8, 2022 at 7:45 pm

I think the recently completed Beta suspension testing validated the Roush designed front and rear suspension for the operating envelope of the vehicle. Aptera will now be tuning that suspension. I am sure they have taken CG, load balancing, and other factors we are not aware of into account in the design and validation testing. I don’t believe that the front seat needs to be removed to accommodate loads up to the spec limits. Loads above the limit should not be tempted of course.

My daughter wants the passenger seat removable so she can put her long surfboard in though😉

• Curtis Cibinel

March 8, 2022 at 8:10 pm

You can probably leave the hatch ajar with the board out a few feet. This would be simpler than removing a seat on any vehicle I’ve seen. Yes it would impact aerodynamics but it shouldn’t be enough to be a big issue. Technically it should be flagged but that’s easy.

• John Malcom

March 8, 2022 at 9:36 pm

👍 yes that was my suggestion to her. It is a short distance from where she lives to the beach where she surfs. Not a problem I think.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

March 8, 2022 at 11:35 pm

There used to be a clip that you could put on the hatch at the seams for skis and surfboards. It was really common on Porsche 924s and 944s. The skis and the surfboards would sit on their sides facing the front of the vehicle.

• Tim Dean

March 8, 2022 at 8:53 pm

I was also considering those who may want to use their Aptera for currier or delivery service. One driver with lots of (relatively light) stuff. Maybe even install a small pizza heater or just a large flat spot on the passenger side.

Example: 500# payload: (1) 200# driver. (9) 24can soft drink cases in passenger compartment (22lbs/ea) totals 198#. Leaves only 102# for the rear section. I don’t know what the passenger seat weighs. Remove the seat & add the weight of a cooler & ice for the drinks… (maybe). 80/20 front/rear weight distribution?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Tim Dean.
  • Vernon Michael Gardner

March 8, 2022 at 11:33 pm

Maybe a purpose built delivery vehicle. Maybe a four-door Bolt or something similar.

• Joshua Rosen

March 9, 2022 at 6:42 am

We will need some clarification of the 500 lb limit. I don’t believe that number includes passengers, it’s probably the weight of the cargo in back. Two good sized guys could add up 500 lbs, I doubt their intent was to build a vehicle that could only be used by ballerinas.

• Bob Kirchner

March 9, 2022 at 8:05 am

Unfortunately, no. When asked, Aptera has stated that the 500 lb. limit is total weight including driver/passenger.

This is a dilemma for me, because I am fat.

What they have not clarified is which battery the figure applies to. Hopefully the figure is for the 1000 mile version, which would leave some ullage for me with the 60 kW version.

• Joshua Rosen

March 9, 2022 at 8:48 am

That number predates the Roush suspension. Hopefully they’ve improved it.

• John Shenton

March 13, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Me and my “other” weigh in at 490 lbs. Add a pair of 50 lb flight bags and we have a problem.

Bottoming out suspensions does not make for a fun trip.

• Guy SKEER

March 15, 2022 at 8:27 am

I have mentioned elsehwere on this Wonderful Site, that I want to have/make an adjustable link for the front suspension so that I can “Tune Out” half of the Port List that the vehicle will have when only I am aboard, as I am (Ahem) somewhat in Excess of the FAA “Standard” 160 Pound Person.

Additionally I had mentioned that an Airbag or Hydrodynamic Height Adjust System would be on my “Nice to Have” list, whether from the Factory (Not Likely, nor even considered), or After Purchase.

At Present, My Main Squeeze’s Number (Which shall NEVAH be disclosed!) plus My Avoirdupois are in Excess of the 500 Pound Weight Limit. I have undergone Gastric Surgery (For My Health, and before I Joined the Hopefuls of the APTERA Clan) followed by “Tummy Tuck” Surgery. At present, have declared redundant and abandoned more than 240 Pounds. Eighty Five More to Go (Provided the Missus doesn’t decide to make it hard on Me!).

Now, How to convince Her to Leave the “Purse” Behind?

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now