Semiconduction shortage mitigation?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Semiconduction shortage mitigation?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Semiconduction shortage mitigation?

• Semiconduction shortage mitigation?

• MidnightPilot .

May 28, 2022 at 9:36 am

So, my Tesla order has been delayed for a significant time due to an unavailability of a specific chip.

I also have an early reservation for an Aptera Noir.

Does Aptera have a mitigation plan for the semiconductor crisis?

Is there an option to make propulsion and charging components a priority over “infotainment” (I hate that phrase) and other non essential components.

Is Aptera willing to ship stripped down versions with Basic configurations to help speed initial delivery?

• Joshua Rosen

May 28, 2022 at 12:04 pm

The system console isn’t an option, that’s how you control the car. It’s also not going to be effected by the chip shortage. The system console is basically a PC, they use state of the art CPUs which aren’t in short supply. Your Tesla isn’t being held up because they can’t get the AMD CPU in the system console, those are made on the latest production lines. Tesla replaced the older Intel Atom based system, which was on an old process, with the new AMD system precisely because it’s easier to source the parts. The shortage is effecting trivial controller chips which are built on old process lines. These don’t need to be on state of the art processes, they just need to be cheap so building them on old paid for production lines is the preferred way to make them. The shortages are due to the fact that there is a finite production capacity for these kinds of chips and semiconductor companies are not in the habit of investing in new capacity for old processes especially because these chips are so cheap. They spend their money on new lines to build $500 CPUs or $3000 FPGAs not $1 controller chips. Eventually those lines will become obsolete and that’s when they get repurposed to build cheap jelly bean chips.

• MidnightPilot .

May 28, 2022 at 8:13 pm

So the Aptera will not need trivial controller chips?

How is Aptera different than Tesla on that?

• Joshua Rosen

May 29, 2022 at 7:36 am

Of course they will need them. I was just pointing that it’s not the infotainment system that’s likely to be the bottleneck. It’s things like the windows and doors where the chip shortage is likely to cause problems. Where they have choices they can take availability into account when they pick the device that they use but that’s not always possible. Subsystems that are bought from outside suppliers have embedded chips that might be in short supply and there is no way they can control that.

• MidnightPilot .

May 29, 2022 at 9:08 am

So does that mean that they do or do not have a mitigation plan for the semiconductor shortage?

• Joshua Rosen

May 29, 2022 at 9:42 am

They must be taking it into account but it doesn’t mean that they won’t have a problem. Every single automaker in the world has been seriously effected, even Tesla. Tesla was weathering it better than others because of their vertical integration. They design their own circuit boards and they integrate far more functions into individual modules which reduces the number of modules in their cars. They’ve also been quick to do redesigns that swap out less obtainable components for more obtainable components but even with all that they have cars waiting for chips. Aptera won’t go into volume production until next year and supposedly the chip shortage will be easing by then but who can say for sure. As Niels Bohr said, predictions are hard especially about the future.

• Vincent Hadap

May 29, 2022 at 4:02 pm

Aptera is different because you are comparing a compnay that needs chips for 20k cars per day and Aptera which will be happy to build 20k vehicles per year.

• John Malcom

May 29, 2022 at 4:53 pm

Although I disagree with Joshua on engineer and schedule posts, he is right in this thread. He is trying to help you understand something. It would be useful for you to reconsider your approach to responding.

• MidnightPilot .

May 30, 2022 at 11:26 am

Thank you for not responding to the original question.

You have not been useful

• Llewellyn Evans Evans

May 30, 2022 at 4:34 pm

Hi, I see 3x questions.

Q1 mitigation for semiconductor crisis?

A1. Dunno. They are not ignorant morons … so probably Yes.

A1a. Having said that …. if there is a world wide shortage and the required CAN bus chip can not be sourced what are they supposed to do except wait like every other manufacturer of an item that needs this chip? If you have a CAN bus you need CAN bus chips.

Q2. Option to prioritise power and drive systems over Interface system.

A2. No. They are integrated. Infotainment a bit of software running on a computer that is the brain of the car.

Q3. Will they sell incomplete vehicles?

A3. Yes if they want to go broke….. so probably no.🤓

• Bradey Burk

June 1, 2022 at 11:21 am

I just got a job at TSMC in AZ. Soon there will be a massive uptick in domestic semiconductor manufacturing. The shortage should be over in 2 years tops, or so I have heard.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 1, 2022 at 6:04 pm

Two years is a day and dollar short for Aptera production which starts the end of this year and ramps up in 2023. Still, I think Aptera has a handle on chips for their production.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now