Separating Aptera from the “Also-Ran’s”

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Separating Aptera from the “Also-Ran’s”

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Separating Aptera from the “Also-Ran’s”

• Separating Aptera from the “Also-Ran’s”

• Ray Holan

December 7, 2021 at 10:34 am

No surprise to any of us here on the forum that there are EV nansayers and plenty of naysayers specifically for Aptera. I came across this old Road and Track article that has recently been reposted:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a38442157/the-electric-future-has-a-dark-side/

In the spirit of “forewarned is forearmed” I think it is worth a reading so one can be ready with facts to distinguish Aptera from the EV’s in the article that went down in flames.

• Curtis Cibinel

December 7, 2021 at 12:19 pm

In conclusion – starting a car company is hard and with a lot of market buzz on EV companies the snake oil salesmen have arrived.

I’m confident in Aptera largely due to their technology and openness but it is important to accept that failure is always a possibility. Aptera represents about 3% of my investments overall and I would discourage anyone from ever putting more than 10% in a single company especially in the startup stage.

• Joshua Rosen

December 7, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Nikola was an obvious fraud from the get go, I don’t know how GM fell for them. When you make all sorts of extraordinary claims without demonstrating anything publicly that’s a red flag. There was nothing about the Nikola management that indicated that they had the necessary engineering skills to pull off what they claimed they had pulled off.

That said Aptera has made one extraordinary claim, the 10 miles per KWh efficiency , that they will have to prove. In Aptera’s case their claim is plausible, as opposed to something like Nikola’s claim that they could cut the cost of hydrogen in half, because they’ve showed two things that make it feasible. They claim a drag coefficient of .13 and a weight that’s half the weight of a Tesla, together that makes it possible. However until the final vehicle is tested by independent reviewers that claim should be taken with a grain of salt. Aptera has been very open about their process and the management seems to have the technical skills to do what they say they are doing, those are very good signs but final judgement should be reserved until they’ve demonstrated the beta vehicle.

• John Malcom

December 7, 2021 at 12:28 pm

????

Always naysayers. Even though these failures are not in the Aptera class of vehicle, Aptera will still be judged somewhat on their lack of performance as a start up

• John Reilly

December 7, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Not to mention the problem of Tesla’s trustworthiness when it comes to auto-pilot: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/06/technology/tesla-autopilot-elon-musk.html.

I think that Aptera has seen the necessity of overcoming the ev hype already.

For example, Jay Leno was dismissive of solar hype vs. performance in the Leno garage video.

Tasks for down the road, so to speak, but good to keep them in mind.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now