Sequential turn signals

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Sequential turn signals

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Sequential turn signals

• Sequential turn signals

Sam Adams updated 3 months, 4 weeks ago 21 Members · 34 Posts
  • Robert Horton II

July 31, 2022 at 7:01 am

I’d like the Aptera to have sequential turn signals like the new Audis and Mach-E.

• Vernon Sinnott

July 31, 2022 at 7:06 am

I like this idea.

• Christopher Barrett

July 31, 2022 at 9:12 am

I too like that idea, as it gives great visibility!

• kerbe2705

July 31, 2022 at 10:33 am

@Robert Horton II Watch this vehicle to see the sequential turn signals: https://youtu.be/xx5DvHhNuuM

• Jeff May

August 11, 2022 at 3:25 pm

Good catch! (It’s at 1:30 in the video.)

• BigSky Country

August 1, 2022 at 10:04 am

Given how thin the rear lighting will be, I think sequential lighting makes a lot of sense

• John Voules

August 3, 2022 at 2:58 pm

Lighting is very important. Sequential lighting should almost be a must. I am hopeful that APTERA knows to need to make lighting dance or sing a song (just visually). Manufacturers are now showing their light show capabilities. We are an extremely modern looking and functioning vehicle, lighting should also reflect this. At least sequential tail lights, but truly more because it is needed.

• kerbe2705

August 3, 2022 at 3:07 pm

@John Voules Do people actually stand around admiring their car’s light show? I can’t imagine hanging around in my garage to watch it when I need to run to the store or head out for an appointment… Heck, I get annoyed having to wait for the “welcome” screen displays to complete when I start the car!

• John Voules

August 3, 2022 at 7:51 pm

You can’t until you own one.

• kerbe2705

August 3, 2022 at 9:00 pm

@John Voules I would think that the novelty of this would get old rather quickly – like S&X drivers having their vehicles “dance” at car gatherings…

• John Voules

August 4, 2022 at 6:53 am

No doubt, there will be some of that wearing off. My i3 doesn’t have dancing lights, but still after 6 years of ownership, I still enjoy unlocking the car and seeing the lights turn on and then opening the door to changing ambient light. The APTERA will be special enough with out sequential lights but in my mind it would be incomplete and not conveying its modernity.

• Ross Nicholson

August 1, 2022 at 2:21 pm

That’s an excellent idea!

• Dennis Swaney

August 2, 2022 at 5:11 pm

I’d like to see them on the front also.

• Bob Kirchner

August 4, 2022 at 5:13 am

The turn signals on the front are essentially vertical. Should the “sequence” run upward, or downward?

• Sam Adams

August 4, 2022 at 8:06 am

Or horizontally at the tip of the nose.

• Matthew Modesitt

August 5, 2022 at 11:23 am

Great Idea! Totally onboard with that.

• Jerry Freter

August 5, 2022 at 11:50 am

What are turn signals? It has been a long time since I’ve seen people (cough BMW drivers cough) use them

• John Voules

August 5, 2022 at 7:29 pm

Jerry, I always signal my intentions.

• Jerry Freter

August 5, 2022 at 8:10 pm

You must be unique. I almost never see BMW drivers use turn signals. Nor those giant oversized trucks/SUVs

• Jared Cormier

August 5, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Even the BMW salesperson made a joke about it when my wife and I were test-driving an i4. He said something along the lines of “that stick on the side of the steering wheel is the turn signal switch, you should probably forget it exists”

• Arthur Downey

August 8, 2022 at 6:56 am

Yikes! I hope not. I seem to be in the minority here, but I have always found the sequential turn signals to be annoying. If they implement this, I hope it’s configurable through the UI.

• Bob Kirchner

August 10, 2022 at 10:13 am

There is something about it that just screams “1966 Ford Thunderbird”.

• Cameron Berg

August 9, 2022 at 9:48 pm

Please no. Sequential turn signals look absolutely terrible in every car they have been put in. I feel like the beauty of the Aptera is in the simplicity. Sequential turn signals doesn’t fit that trope.

• Bart Cunningham

August 12, 2022 at 6:16 am

I have the exact opposite opinion on these. I have always admired cars that had this feature. They do also catch peoples eye better so they would be better for safety reasons.

• Mark Salyzyn

August 12, 2022 at 6:24 am

The safety is fleeting from additions like this. The third brake light for instance is no longer the attention grabber it used to be.

So, can I have the option to control the sequence of the light? Can I make it sparkle on random segments with occasional unison flash so that people are not confused about the motives of the light? I mean, sequential lights are so 1967 Cougar …

• Dennis Swaney

August 12, 2022 at 8:39 am

That is why modern CHMSLs now start with rapid flashing then go solid on – to get attention.

• Tom Friend

August 10, 2022 at 8:56 am

Sequential signals is a great idea from a safety standpoint. They catch your eye, which is important for a vehicle as small as this.

• Dennis Swaney

August 10, 2022 at 9:22 am

Brings up another question, will a CHMSL be required on an autocycle? If autocycles aren’t subject to the myriad of “safety” features required on 4 wheel vehicles, I think that would be one of the first to be dropped.

• John Voules

August 10, 2022 at 9:41 am

Not likely…but maybe a good idea to include for several reasons. Overall safety and the possibility of some state regulations requiring it. Insurance companies I believe would like to have it as a standard for such a substantial vehicle, it’s not a 2 wheeler.

• Sam Adams

August 10, 2022 at 10:44 am

They didn’t drop that third brake light, did they? The last I saw they were in the shape of several water drops, which looked awesome. Just like that skinny sequential brake light.

• Jonah Jorgenson

August 12, 2022 at 9:04 am

That “Third brake light” is required by law. It will not be dropped.

• Dennis Swaney

August 12, 2022 at 11:11 am

Even on vehicles classed as “motorcycles”? Sounds like the NHSTA needs to firmly decide which set of rules apply to 3-wheel vehicles: motorcycle or car.

• Sam Adams

August 12, 2022 at 11:19 am

It’s not applicable on motorcycles but then this is an autocycle. Makes me wonder cause they followed motorcycle law with that center headlight.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now