Side view display position

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Side view display position

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Side view display position

• Side view display position

Francis Giroux updated 3 months ago 12 Members · 16 Posts
  • Joshua Rosen

March 28, 2022 at 8:18 am

It looks like they’ve moved the side view displays where the instrument binnacle usually is. On the alpha they were on the edges of the dash. The alpha positioning is much better, I think it will be really distracting to have the side view images directly in front of the driver. When you are doing a lane change you want to look out the appropriate side window as well as look at the “mirror”. With the displays on the side they will be in your field of view, if they are in front of you then you’ll have to look in two places.

• Paul Kirchner

March 28, 2022 at 9:32 am

I think having the sideviews directly in front is a game changer. I’m all for it.

• Raj Giandeep

March 28, 2022 at 9:56 am

I prefer them in front of me instead of on each side of the interior.
      Will take some adjusting too, but I’m all for it. Since I getting the full solar. Other than the digital mirrors. I would only need to glance at the side windows & the 2 mirrors in front of me. Less looking around I feel.

• Curtis Cibinel

March 28, 2022 at 10:21 am

Agreed. Safer to have constant flow of information for the driver on the new display behind the yoke. The only other things for this display should be blinds pot indicators, backup camera and speedometer. Because its all software this could be configurable.

• Dean McManis

March 28, 2022 at 9:55 am

I am hoping that you can switch the camera view and other features to the small screen. I would like the option to have other information on the new screen until I signal to change lanes. Plus I’d like the option to split the screen so that the left side view comes up on the left side of the small dash screen, and the right side camera view comes up on the upper right corner of the main screen. But I’d like those views off unless I signal or there is a vehicle in my blindspot. maybe that video could also be split on the rear view camera. It would be nice to have the view initiated by voice command as well. This is just brain storming, but it could be more useful/intuitive than just fixed side views on the one small dashboard screen.

• Paul Kirchner

March 28, 2022 at 9:59 am

I think the sideviews have to be on all the time. I never turn on the indicator without checking the mirrors first, turn them on, check over the shoulder. The mirrors are always “on”, why not the camera view?

• Scott Price

March 28, 2022 at 11:10 am

I agree, Paul. Being able to quickly glance for situational awareness is always important. Being forced to randomly turn on a blinking light every time the driver just wants to know what is going on around him/her (or to know if it is even the appropriate time to turn on that turn signal) would be a step backwards. Hopefully, their final solution is always-on for safety and ease of immediate full time visual access.

The counterpoint concerns expressed by some over it potentially being distracting in its “HUD”-like position are also valid, though I believe having immediate situational awareness is more important than progressively learning to deal with the potential display distraction.

One example hybrid solution could be to make always-on left/right displays only take up the lower half of the new above-yoke screen for most of the time and then those displays automatically expand to take up the full size of the screen when a turn signal is actuated. This approach would also enable the upper half to include other information (speed, systems status, key indicators, etc.) most of the time, per Dean’s input. The primary initial question on that approach would be whether or not the lower half screen size would still have sufficient size/detail to be useful for seeing rear views. If not, then full screen all the time should be the design approach, in my opinion, and may likely be what they are already planning to do.

• Paul Kirchner

March 28, 2022 at 11:24 am

Not so sure displays should be changing during anything that could be a split second between situations of potential danger. Always on, always the same view. When you look at it, you know what you’ll be seeing.

• George Hughes

March 28, 2022 at 9:55 am

My impression is that Aptera will have that ‘beep-beep-beep’ collision alarm (proximity detector) that would also provide a buffer.

Beyond that, the center-view of the left-view/right view camera sounds good. I mean you’ve got the broad rear-view camera, side-view cameras that are activated by the turn indicator and you’ve got the mc mirrors all providing input plus the collision sensor … I think is a pretty complete console of data inputs for our wetware computers to navigate.

• John Smith

March 28, 2022 at 11:33 am

Paul is right the side cameras will be on all the time. Having that in front of the driver would be very distracting and not needed. As you initiate a lane change or turn it would require looking in two places. Proper ergonomic engineering does not require adopting to it or getting used to it.

• George Hughes

March 28, 2022 at 11:58 am

I have no problem with the side view cameras being on continuously.

I do think it would be cool for the camera image, continuously contained in a small display window on the main or center screen but, the image would be instantly enlarged to cover the drivers screen with the selection of the turn indicator.

This would present the driver with a magnified view in preparation of executing, particularly a lane change on a crowded freeway. The software could also probably calculate the relative speed of those vehicles seen in the rear view … you know databoxes overlaid with whether the vehicle behind was traveling at, above or below the speed of the Aptera. It could possibly even advise an abort if the speed of the overtaking vehicle is too great.

But all the bs aside, I’ve got confidence that the folks at Aptera will recognize when the software makes you more stupid rather than helping you so I’m sure whatever the process, it will be adequate. If not, with right to repair, we are all empowered to fix it and sell or market our fixes to others. What is not to like.

• Eric Quinn

March 28, 2022 at 12:42 pm

These vehicles have to have side view mirrors, at least in my state with classification as a motorcycle. So why waste money on cameras.

the behind the wheel HUD rather have it for speed, weather, motor performance

• Raj Giandeep

March 28, 2022 at 1:04 pm

It’s only a matter of time before digital mirrors are accepted in the usa. Chris mentioned the side mirrors could easily be removed by the customer when that time comes.

I’d like to see the side mirror feeds not take up the full display above the steering wheel unless your signaling. Leave a little space in the middle for speed and map (next turn info). All this will be tweaked over time with OTA updates. I’m not concerned about it.

• Peter Jorgensen

March 28, 2022 at 1:29 pm

I like having separate screens but if they stick it on the cluster and it works ok and feels safe to everyone I’m sure I can get used to it. These folks over at Ecomodder have been doing all sorts of crazy stuff for a while and apparently get used to it quick.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/2010/09/eyes-forward-video-mirrors-on-my-xa.html

• Len Nowak Nowak

March 28, 2022 at 3:39 pm

See attached picture If it is anything Like the Kia EV 6’s side view mirror displays , which I test drove… When I signaled a large circular wide angle side view displayed on their center similar size screen . My eye was draw to that clear pop display before I looked at the conventional side view mirror They had a conventional steering wheel to deal with…Whereas the Yoke wheel is below it when you signal

• Francis Giroux

March 29, 2022 at 12:42 pm

Joshua, if you don’t like the rearview video placement you could use the sideview mirrors, until you get used to the videos. If the videos distract you, you could cover the screen with a picture of your girlfriend.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now