Snow build up

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Snow build up

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Snow build up

• Snow build up

kerbe2705 updated 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Posts
  • John Reeder

May 30, 2022 at 3:27 am

Hey folks,

I was just watching the video about the improved wheel pants, lol. I live in the Hudson Valley NY, and our snow accumulation isn’t Buffalo standard, but is still pretty hefty. As I looked at the wheel pants, I wondered about snow and ice build up inside of them. The fenders on my Passat wagon would get pretty full during the 90 round trip taking my kid to school, so this concerns me a bit. What are everyone’s thoughts? I’m sorry if this has been answered. I searched, but most of the questions have been about handling.

• Francis Giroux

May 30, 2022 at 12:56 pm

John, I live in Hudson Falls, NY and I am not concerned about snow build up. First of all any day that the snow is coming down faster than the plows can keep it under six inches, is quite rare. If it gets to the point that there is build up inside the wheel pants, go over a few bumps and it might break it loose. If not, just stop and use the handle of your scrapper and dig it out. Or go to the car wash and use the hot water self serve pressure wash to clean it out. The only problem I would expect is if you drive to work and don’t clean out the build-up under the pants, and during the day it melts enough to fall down onto the tire and then freezes to the tire. That would be a learning experience, to teach you to clean out the build-up before going in to work. I would expect this to happen about once every ten years.

• Philip Raymond

May 30, 2022 at 8:22 pm

I’m just north of Chicago and I’m not concerned either. To add to what Francis said, the motors in each of the wheel hubs do generate some heat and that could work to minimize snow and ice build up. If you do get a Buffalo type snow fall, you could also snap the wheel pants off, but this is definitely a last resort idea. Only if it’s say over 2 feet deep and your roads haven’t been plowed yet and you need to get somewhere. Just keep it under 30 mph and efficiency shouldn’t be impacted too much. Since the Aptera is legally considered to be a motorcycle, it should be legal to drive without wheel pants (aka-fenders) in most places. Many 2 wheel motorcycles already are driven without fenders.

• kerbe2705

May 31, 2022 at 12:06 am

@John Reeder – This video? If you look at 7:57 you’ll see that there’s precious little space between the tire and the liner so there’s almost nowhere for show or ice to accumulate. Remember that, unlike an automobile’s wheels, Aptera’s wheels don’t steer or travel vertically within the wheel pants: The wheel pants are attached to the wheel so there’s no need for extra space to allow for wheel movement inside a traditional “wheel well”. https://youtu.be/WgRF_O4ilhM

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now