So l2 functionality is not happening anymore?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions So l2 functionality is not happening anymore?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions So l2 functionality is not happening anymore?

• So l2 functionality is not happening anymore?

• Konijnerd the Great

June 14, 2022 at 10:42 am

According to the AMA, l2 functionality is not going to happen in the first production vehicles.

That’s really sad as l2 is nowadays basic functionality available on entry level cars. Distance-set cruise control, automatic parking, lane assist… These are then not happening anymore?

Watch this part of the AMA:

• Jonathan Reni

June 14, 2022 at 10:56 am

I think its possible that he was referring to the first 1,000 vehicles here.

• Jeffrey May

June 14, 2022 at 12:07 pm

Yeah, I think he was pretty clear that they don’t intend to have it ready by launch, but they do intend to offer it *eventually*.

I doubt they even know at this point what the timing would be on that.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 14, 2022 at 12:25 pm

They also said it was an addon. This may just be a classification, but it is also possible that they can addon the feature to an existing delivered vehicle. I’m hoping they can also do similar with the sound upgrade and others since my referrals will obviously get delivery after me and I have no need for several dozen tee-shirts.

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 16, 2022 at 9:33 am

As usual lots of speculation. But, no official announcements. I am sure when it is sorted out they will let us know. Since there is still a lot of development to be done before production, no need to worry about it.

I am sure, that when it is finished and available, all will be offered the opportunity to get it and that it will work fine as they are taking the time to get it right no matter what the solution turns out to be.

I believe the only thing we know (Not believe or speculate) is that it will be camera based. Pretty common approach and used on Tesla vehicles. Although I do not have Self Drive activated on my Model 3, I do have the hardware for it if I want to pay the 12K to use it.

The NHSA has started investigating the large number of accidents with self driving technology enabled now so we do want Aptera to take the time for it to work well/Safely even if it is delivered post production to the owners that want it. Also, we don’t a lot of liability cases for Aptera to address if their ADAS Level II is defective in any way.

Not having SafetyPilot at the time of delivery does not at all detract from the great efficiency features of the vehicle, the ones I consider most important and the reasons I reserved the Aptera in the first place. I did order it. But, I like to drive and believe driving an Aptera will be a lot of fun so am having second thoughts about using it if it is installed on my Aptera.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Jonah Jorgenson. Reason: removed format markings
  • Paul Schultz

June 14, 2022 at 4:57 pm

He only stated level 2 won’t be available at the initial launch. But, the Aptera may still have level 1 which can get you lane departure warning, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, and blind-spot warning systems. These level 1 systems are off-the-shelf at this point and are what many expect as the norm. The problem with the question is that it was asked about…. “level 2 autonomous driving”. This is a separate system from what is expected as a modern set of expected features. The question should have been: What level of Advanced Driver Assistance System will ship with a base Aptera?

• Jonah Jorgenson

June 14, 2022 at 5:36 pm

Officially, only adaptive cruise control fits in level 1. Everything else you describe is part of level 2. Standard cruise control will come on Aptera.

• Konijnerd the Great

June 16, 2022 at 12:39 am

standard cruise control would really suck. adaptive is the standard nowadays.

• Benjamin Dreidel

June 14, 2022 at 5:19 pm

My understanding is that the hardware for L2 will be in the vehicles but if the software isn’t ready, they will ship and update the software later.

• Konijnerd the Great

June 16, 2022 at 12:40 am

then they would say so. in the last webinar, they didn’t mention any update needed, just “first production vehicles won’t have it”.

• Riley ________________________________

June 16, 2022 at 3:23 am

I think the first vehicles to be produced will be a proof of concept and will lack many features. The people at aptera know that it’s imperative to start delivering vehicles before they run out of money. It would appear that they plan to capitalize on all the hype by delivering a bare bones highly profitable first run and than slowly add on more features for the more demanding customers.

If the level 2 autonomy isn’t ready by the time your place in line and geographic location is ready to receive delivery than you may have to defer your place in line to someone else.

• Konijnerd the Great

June 16, 2022 at 4:43 am

nope, aptera has confirmed me in email that you do not have to purchase if your spot in line is up, and can purchase later, keeping your line in the queue.

• Curtis Cibinel

June 16, 2022 at 8:29 am

Tbd. The might run the wiring harnesses and be able to add it later fairly easily for those that want it. Remember they are starting close to home initially. Ideally all 5 add-ons (offroad, speakers, safety pilot, pet, and camping) could be either installed by them after delivery or shipped with instructions (safety pilot probably being the hardest). Lots of people will end up with referral credits long after their own delivery.

• Joshua Rosen

June 16, 2022 at 9:09 am

I called this a month ago, I didn’t see how it would be possible to have an ADAS system in the car before the end of the year without having it working now. It’s not clear if they’ve settled on a vendor yet, my guess is no, if they had they would have announced it. Until they’ve settled on the vendor they can’t integrate the software or include the processor. If they settle on the vendor in the next couple of months they’ll be able to include the hardware in the early cars and then turn it on by the middle of next year when they have the software working.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now