Solar cells:

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar cells:

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar cells:

• Solar cells:

Alain Chuzel updated 2 months ago 7 Members · 8 Posts
  • Neville Cawood

April 27, 2022 at 5:26 am

From the pics I’ve seen the solar cells on the Aptera prototypes are not flush with the body.
    That’s bad for aerodynamics and makes them look like an afterthought/tacky.

Here’s the solution (as used on stickers etc by me):
    Place an easily removal sticker (exact size and shape of solar cell) on top of all the solar cells.
    Spray clear coat until it’s (the layer) as thick as the solar cell.
    Now when you remove the sticker off of the solar cells; the clear coat is more or less flush with the solar cells.
    Spray on another layer or 2 of clear coat, over everything.
    Flat with an appropriately shaped (concave) sanding block and polish.

• Joel Smith

April 27, 2022 at 5:54 am

Not wanting to dismiss your cleverness, but it needs to be pointed out that your starting premise is inaccurate. My long suspicion and recent verification is that the “solar cells” seen on Alpha prototypes aren’t PV cells at all but rather just decals intended to show us all about what they will end up looking like. That’s really what the Alpha prototypes are primarily for; to show us about what the production vehicles will look like, and only in a broad sense what they will be capable of. Functional body panel PV was apparently not part of that.

While we haven’t seen functional examples of the body panels with actual PV included yet, the expectation is that the PV cells will be embedded under clear plastic/resin, possibly even accessible from the back-side of the body panel. Point being the outer surface will be unbroken and smooth.

I am sure looking forward to seeing all that as what I have asserted above is all just well reasoned extrapolation. Pretty sure that you will see that your concern is addressed then too.

• Len Nowak Nowak

April 27, 2022 at 6:04 am

I saw Noir and had a ride in Sol…

Noir was the ONLY development vehicle with this textured encapsulation ( see photo )

While the Sol transitioned to what I think is the current smooth encapsulation ( see photo )

I saw the samples of the solar cells while there and they sure looked like what might be under that clear resin skin?

• Elzo Stubbe

April 27, 2022 at 6:26 am

you saw it on the prototype alpha. That is not a representation of the real deal that is still to come. My assumption is that the cells will be totally flush…..

• John Smith

April 27, 2022 at 6:50 am

A golf ball, the hull of an Americas Cup yacht, etc aren’t smooth. The cells also have to be individually repairable. The underlying premise of this discussion is flawed.

• Alain Chuzel

April 27, 2022 at 7:19 am

While I would welcome it, I’d be very surprised if the cells are “individually repairable”.

• John Malcom

April 27, 2022 at 9:58 am

If at all repairable, and REALLY doubtful, my guess more expensive and time consuming to repair than to just buy a new cell.

• Alain Chuzel

April 27, 2022 at 3:37 pm

Do you mean “just buy a new MODULE (a.k.a., PANEL)”? (A cell being just the nominal 5″ x 5″, rounded corner magic blue thingy….)

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now