Solar Hatch

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Hatch

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Hatch

• Solar Hatch

• Russell Fauver

June 18, 2022 at 10:02 am

I like the extra power that the solar hatch offers but I also like being able to see behind me without relying on a camera. For now I’m considering laying a pv panel on the floor inside the hatch so it can gather some sunshine without blocking my view. I remember years ago hearing MIT was working on transparent PV, anyone know if they’ve made progress with this?

https://energy.mit.edu/news/transparent-solar-cells/https://energy.mit.edu/news/transparent-solar-cells/

• Dennis Swaney

June 18, 2022 at 10:13 am

Even without the solar panels you won’t be able to see behind you: there ISN’T a rearview mirror. The mirror has been replaced by the display screen for the rearview camera. If you want to use your Eyeball, Mk. 1, you’ll have to at turn your head around 180 degrees. While you’re doing that, you might run into someone in front of you. When I learned about the camera display replacing the mirror, I added the solar panels to the hatch.

• Joshua Rosen

June 18, 2022 at 10:51 am

There are combined rear view mirrors and displays, if they use one of those then you’ll still be able to see out the back when it’s in mirror mode.

• Dennis Swaney

June 18, 2022 at 2:33 pm

Joshua, where did you see that Aptera was going to use one of those?

• James Gatan

June 18, 2022 at 10:55 am

The rear view cam display is brilliant. I hope it has a recording feature, as I regularly use a front and rear facing dash cam on my current ride (saved my neck countless of times..). Yes, having a clear glass hatch is moot, as rear view is not really good. Plus, that vast glass hatch will be hot anyways. So I did opt for the Full Solar.

• GLENN ZAJIC

June 18, 2022 at 12:00 pm

I believe that is a good solution for those that want the light to come in.

• Dennis Swaney

June 18, 2022 at 2:38 pm

That would be a good idea for the winter but not for the summer. Maybe with the modularity design, you could have two hatches: one with solar and one with just glass. Then you could switch between them as required.

• John Trotter

June 18, 2022 at 4:03 pm

Aptera may have thought about some of these options, although this may be a case of “maybe in the future”

From an Aptera patent application:

As shown in <figref idrefs=”DRAWINGS”>FIG. 4</figref>, and in a similar manner to the embodiments described above in the context of a group of solar cells on a dashboard, the vehicle 100 can also include a group 120 of solar cells 122 in the interior of the vehicle beneath the rear windshield 402. In some embodiments, the solar cells may be located on a rear shelf, perhaps behind seating, or on the floor of a rear storage area. In some of these embodiments, the coating may include a protective layer, or a protective layer may be placed or formed to the coating, to protect the solar cells. The protective layer may include texturing, such as ribs between the solar cells, to limit the movement of objects placed in the storage area.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now