Solar panel layout idea

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar panel layout idea

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar panel layout idea

• Solar panel layout idea

• Fernando Veloso

June 13, 2022 at 10:33 am
  • Alain Chuzel

June 13, 2022 at 1:11 pm

Very interesting! Practically the entire backside of SunPower/Maxeon solar cells (cells which Aptera is likely using), is copper. Hmmm…….

• Drake Pattee

June 23, 2022 at 12:41 pm

I think the issue is the way the copper lattice would have to be redesigned to conform in a positive to negative channeling, disrupting the uniformity would interfere with how the flow of current. not to say it could not be done, but it would need major redesign for integration for flow between lattice groups as well as succession panels. Also I would like to see the comparative usable surface area between the current design and the lattice design. How much of the space between the lattice would be too much to prove benefit?

• Steven G. Bueche

June 14, 2022 at 1:26 pm

Why are solar panels all about the same size? Is there a benefit let’s say, if the hood panel was one big panel as compared to the many smaller ones?

Since we don’t know what the protective layer is over the cells I have opted to not include the hood. I’m concerned that a rock or two would damage the cells. The dash, roof and hatch stand a far better chance of avoiding road damage.

• V Pilot

June 14, 2022 at 1:42 pm

Do you mean the size of the cells? A group of connected cells make a panel. A panel can be almost any size depending on the number of cells used to construct. The size of a monocrystalline cell is dictated by the size of the boule used to cut it from. The largest is 450mm. None of them are appreciably flexible and can’t be made curved

• Alain Chuzel

June 14, 2022 at 2:00 pm

Good explanation. One minor point, however, the cells Aptera is likely using (same that I use) can be VERY flexible. I make custom panels/modules daily and I count on their flexibility. Note this should not be interpreted that panels/modules should be flexed excessively and/or often…

• Dennis Swaney

June 14, 2022 at 2:07 pm

Is that 450mm per side measurement or 450 square mm area measurement?

• Alain Chuzel

June 14, 2022 at 5:13 pm

I believe V Pilot means the diameter of the boule (ingot). Wafers are sliced from them.

https://www.addisonengineering.com/about-wafers.html

• V Pilot

June 14, 2022 at 5:35 pm

You are correct…diameter. Most of the silicon wafers I dealt with in solid materials testing were for chips, so much thicker than those for solar cells and not flexible in the least. Finding the cleave plane was always fun if not marked. Back then 300mm was the largest diameter and was a big deal.

• Alain Chuzel

June 14, 2022 at 6:07 pm

The cells Aptera is likely using are on the order of 0.006” thick. A lot of that thickness is copper.

• Christopher Thwing

June 15, 2022 at 11:10 am

One of the advantages of a smaller size set of panels has to do with power generation. If part of a panel is blocked, it usually generates no power at all. Depending on how a house is wired up, a single panel being blocked can stop production for all the panels. I haven’t looked into it yet, but I’m pretty sure Aptera is using a controller for each panel, which would mean that each panel could produce power even if it was the only one in the sunlight.

tl;dr: Larger panels are probably more cost and energy efficient, smaller panels are probably better when some of them are shaded.

• Alain Chuzel

June 15, 2022 at 4:31 pm

It sounds like you, too, are confusing terms. What do you mean by “a smaller set of panels”? Also, what do you mean by “panel”?

• Christopher Thwing

June 16, 2022 at 9:10 am

I probably used panel when I was talking about cells on Aptera, and no, I don’t know how they’re planning on controlling them, which seems important.

I’m absolutley not a pro in the solar industry though. Educate me.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now