Solar Panels VS. Frost

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Panels VS. Frost

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Panels VS. Frost

• Solar Panels VS. Frost

Alain Chuzel updated 1 month, 1 week ago 7 Members · 11 Posts
  • pcase

May 24, 2022 at 9:17 am

Just curious to see if the Aptera team has any thoughts on how they will combat frost/ice/snow buildup on the solar panels in the winter?

• Len Nowak

May 24, 2022 at 9:37 am

My thought?

I doubt they will do anything as they are dark panels, all sloped and you will be moving too

The vehicle is only 57” H if you have a need to brush off the panels after the windows

In NJ where we had ice and snow on 44 solar stationary panels on our house for a decade…. We the sun came up, it warmed slightly my dark solar they are self cleaning! I never had to clean them off and they were in a typical PV solar panel frame Aptera’s are smooth and curved

Do No Worries

• Dennis Swaney

May 24, 2022 at 11:04 am

What about hail?

• pcase

May 24, 2022 at 11:22 am

I think they are combating that by making each individual panel easily replaceable.

• kerbe2705

May 24, 2022 at 11:51 am

@Dennis Swaney Remember that Aptera’s panels won’t be topped with glass so they may be slightly “hail-resistant”. As @pcase said, all of the panels are (hood/bonnet, roof, hatch, tail) are removeable so should be easy to replace if damaged.

• Dennis Swaney

May 24, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Ah, that is good to know. Will a few spare panels be included with the vehicle? If not, I’ll immediately order some to have on hand.

Oh, that brings up another question on damaged panels: will they be locally recyclable or can be sent back to Aptera for recycling?

• Francis Giroux

May 24, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Easy to replace will not likely mean it will be a two minute job. Remember these solar CELLS are individually installed under an encapsulation (think liquid glass like substance that hardens) that needs to be carefully breached to get to the broken cell, then removing that glued down cell, gluing down a replacement cell and wiring it back up, then re-encapsulating it and making it smooth. I would dare guess “easy to replace” can be translated into a whole day’s work to fix one cell. But it’ll be worth it. Once you’ve done one, you could make it known that you can fix others, for a price.

• Alain Chuzel

May 25, 2022 at 6:01 am

If I’m interpreting you correctly, you believe INDIVIDUAL cells will be replaceable. I, personally, doubt it. It is more likely entire “sections” would be replaced such as the hood or roof panels. Also, it’s more likely the panels will be “laminates” rather than a collection of “cast in place” cells. By laminate I mean a multi-layer sandwich of 2 different materials on top of solar cell circuit and something similar on the back.

By the way, regardless of the ultimate encapsulation scheme, I’d like to make it known that I “can fix others, for a price.” 🙂

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

May 25, 2022 at 8:25 am

Thank you Alain, for saying exactly what I was thinking.

• Francis Giroux

May 26, 2022 at 8:00 am

Well if you guys can fix it for me, how about adding some more solar cells for me when I get the Aptera? I see lots of places more cells will fit (across the tail, some on the sides of the hatch, and especially on the doors. If you really wanted to solar charge you could point the Aptera into the sun, open the hatch and the doors, with cells on them, and have the best angle exposure, other than jacking up the rear tire to get an even better angle to the sun.

• Alain Chuzel

May 26, 2022 at 8:31 am

No problem. What’s your budget? The solar array pictured below only costs about US$250,000.00 including 34% Triple Junction GaAs-based cells. Also pictured is a close up of one of the modules.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now