What is the advantage of having all available Solar panels on the Aptera

• Len Nowak Nowak

March 2, 2022 at 4:02 am

Free battery charging from the sun. Amount depends on you area/exposure:

https://aptera.us/vehicle/

Free battery charging from the sun. Amount depends on you area/exposure:

https://aptera.us/vehicle/

Referral Code for -$30 off a refundable reservation:

http://i.refs.cc/Qzbm9uhy?smile_ref=eyJzbWlsZV9zb3VyY2UiOiJzbWlsZV91aSIsInNtaWxlX21lZGl1bSI6IiIsInNtaWxlX2NhbXBhaWduIjoicmVmZXJyYWxfcHJvZ3JhbSIsInNtaWxlX2N1c3RvbWVyX2lkIjo2MjE5Mjg3NjZ9

Vehicle

• John .K. Whaley

March 3, 2022 at 2:56 am

Thanks. Helps with the decision making process

• Joshua Rosen

March 2, 2022 at 5:15 am

Depends on where you live. The utility of the solar panels is highly dependent on your personal circumstances. If you live someplace like Arizona then you’ll get a substantial amount of solar energy and the extra panel will give you a useful amount of energy. I live in New England and I don’t think the solar will give me anything, I’d much rather have a rear window so I’ve ordered the minimum solar. My driveway gets so little sun that the solar lights that I’ve put there only work for a couple of hours after dark in summer and not at all in the winter. The sun is blocked by my house on one side and by a mighty oak on the other.

• John Malcom

March 2, 2022 at 9:42 am

We all select the places we live for reasons other than solar vehicle charging. This is as it should be. Some will live where Aptera Solar will make a big difference like Leonard, and some where it will make little or no difference (Those that live in the more Northern climes like you and our canadian enthusiasts) The good thing about Aptera is that it has a range of options to satisfy the needs of everyone. The features that are of value across the board regardless of where an owner my live are the exceptional range efficiency, multiple charging options, and handling/stability through vectored steering from in wheel motors.

You seem to be an Aptera enthusiast in spite of not being able to take full advantage of the solar capability so you have made the accommodation of domicile and Aptera feature set that many in the Northern climes will do.

• Joshua Rosen

March 2, 2022 at 10:44 am

For me the exciting thing about the Aptera is it’s efficiency. Extreme efficiency is an enabling technology. There are several giant benefits that emerge from that capability. The first is cost. In an EV the dominant cost is the battery, the rest of the EV drive train is cheap but batteries aren’t. If you double the efficiency then you halve the cost of the battery which in turns greatly reduces the vehicle cost as a whole. Everybody cares about cost.

The next thing is range. I see range as a set of quantum states. The lowest state is the commuter car, anything 100 miles or better. Every EV satisfies this level. The next state is the 200 mile plus cars, with a good charging network you can go anywhere in them as long as you are willing to do a little planning. Both you and I own Model 3s, with the Supercharger network as it is we can go just about everywhere but we still have to do a little planning before we hop in the car.

The final quantum level is 500 miles or better, at that range you can go anywhere without thinking about it at all. Today only the Lucid Air can do that but it requires a giant 117KWh usable battery and it’s priced in the stratosphere. Aptera will be able to get there with a modest 60KWh battery, the same sized battery as the Chevy Bolt. That’s the feature that most excites me. I love the idea of being able to do a 450 mile day trip, something that we do regularly, with out having to plan any charging stops. It doesn’t mean that I won’t take advantage of opportunistic charging because some of our mainstay rest stops have chargers, it just means that I won’t have to plan the trip around Superchargers.

The next feature that extreme efficiency enables is that it makes solar charging useful for certain parts of the country. If I lived in the Sunshine state as you do I could even do my daytrips mostly on solar. I don’t commute, my car sits in the driveway all week and then I do a long trip on Saturday. Seven days of sunshine could yield 280 miles of range for you, that’s enough for a pretty good trip and to satisfy many peoples commuting needs for those who do that. I live surrounded by trees so I won’t get much solar but I don’t care. I love those trees, my property is covered with them. Those trees are sucking up way more CO2 than any EV could possible save so my lack of solar charging is a don’t care from an environmental standpoint. The Aptera’s efficiency is the thing that makes solar useful to anybody. You could cover a Hummer from roof to tires with solar cells and it won’t get enough energy to make it to the end of your driveway but in places where there is sun an Aptera can harvest a non-trivial amount of energy.

Another benefit that extreme efficiency enables is low fuel cost. Even though Massachusetts has the highest electricity rates in the lower 48, I’m paying 25 cents per KWh, the Aptera is so efficient that the car will only cost about 2.5 cents/mile to fuel. My Model 3 costs about 6 cents per mile on average, that’s insignificant to me but 2.5 is better than 6. For many places the cost per mile will be closer to a penny.

One final benefit that extreme efficiency enables, I’ve already mentioned this on another thread. Battery life will be greatly extended. As an example the Model 3 does about 4 miles KWh. My 2019 has a 72KWh battery, that means that 100,000 miles will put the battery through 347 cycles. An Aptera with a 60KWh battery and 10 miles per KWh will only put 167 cycles on the battery. At that rate the battery will never wear out from use, I suspect that age will kill it eventually but miles won’t.

• John .K. Whaley

March 3, 2022 at 2:54 am

A lot of information. Thanks

• Elzo Stubbe

March 2, 2022 at 11:59 am

700 Wh of absolutely free energy on a sunny day…………resulting in another 40 miles of free distance…

• John LaRocque

March 2, 2022 at 4:03 pm

The panels are rated for 700W; provided the 100Wh/mile and 40 mi/day of solar range figures are accurate, that’s _4000Wh_ of energy per day in ideal conditions.

• Alain Chuzel

March 3, 2022 at 6:11 am

Here’s another way to do the math.

Aptera with “Full Solar” = 700 watts of power at “peak sun” (claimed)

Aptera energy consumption = 100 watt-hour per mile (claimed)

Tucson, Arizona which gets an average of 5.36 “peak sun-hours” per day on a HORIZONTAL surface. (This is an average over a year)

0.7 KWatts peak power x 5.36 peak sun-hours per day divided by 0.100 KWatt-hours per mile of energy consumption = 37.52 miles per day (average over a year)

• Jon Arryn

March 3, 2022 at 7:36 am

I expect about the same in Phoenix. I’m on the fence about getting rear-hatch solar until the exterior finish options are finalized.

• John .K. Whaley

March 3, 2022 at 2:52 am

Thanks

• Kayleigh Venne

Administrator
    March 4, 2022 at 11:53 am

Hi John and all! Great responses in here. The benefit of having all solar panels would allow you to maximize the amount of solar power for the vehicle!

For example, the average American drives 29 miles per day. Even though the longest range Aptera can drive for about 1,000 miles between charges, the reality is that most of our driving is 30 miles or less. For Aptera, 30 miles consumes about 3 kWh of electricity. Now, let’s say your commute is 15 miles each way, let’s assume it’s dark when you’re driving to and from work. While parked at the office on a sunny day, your Aptera could put back in about 4.4 kWh which is far more than what you’ll use that day. You’ll arrive home with more charge than when you left with. That’s how it works, it’s as simple as that. With full solar, Aptera’s integrated solar package provides up to 40 miles free driving miles per day. Making Aptera the first vehicle that won’t need to fuel up for most daily driving. Park Aptera in the sun and come back to your vehicle with more range than when you left it — giving you the freedom to go without having to plug in. Harnessing the power of the sun!

If you choose the basic solar package, all will still function adequately, just with fewer panels. For example, you can reserve the 1000 mile range battery with the basic solar package and you will just have fewer panels, and therefore, less energy captured from the sun. In that event, you could store up to 1000 miles from an electric charge of the battery and about 16 additional miles from the basic solar package a day (depending on where you live). One could charge their Aptera up to 1040 miles for the day, 1000 from the battery pack, and 40 from the panels.

Happy Friday everyone!

• John .K. Whaley

March 4, 2022 at 2:05 pm

Thanks Kayleigh great info

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now