Solar supplier options

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar supplier options

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar supplier options

• Solar supplier options

Alain Chuzel updated 2 weeks, 3 days ago 9 Members · 16 Posts
  • David Marlow

September 11, 2022 at 10:21 am

The solar cells on Gamma seem to be different than the ones that were shown previously and they have not announced an agreement with a cell supplier. So maybe they are letting the vendors know that Aptera has room to negotiate.

• Joel Smith

September 11, 2022 at 2:03 pm

Oh yeah, I noticed the solar cells in the Gamma had a different appearance than the (Maxon Sunpower?) cells that we have been seeing. I do wonder what is up with that?

Also noticed what appears to be the power cables to the wheel motors still routed through the lower arm, rather than the upper as we had been lead to believe was the plan. May have even been just a soft wrap around that lower arm & stuff?

Gamma may just not be as finished a production intent vehicle as I was hoping.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Joel Smith.
    • John Young

September 11, 2022 at 2:28 pm

I think the Gamma motors are the same stock M700 from Elaphe that are on the Alpha vehicles. During the factory tour Chris says that the one set out as a display is the 1st one assembled that had been designed for Aptera. I expect we’ll see the production variant of the motor on Gamma in the next few weeks.

• Joel Smith

September 11, 2022 at 3:13 pm

Having watched a few more videos, I now think the individual PV cells are the same and I was just thrown off by the copper bus bars visible along some cell edges.

• James Gatan

September 11, 2022 at 2:31 pm

I noticed the revised multiple solar tiled panel roof as well. It now looks like a huge smooth one piece solar tile, with multiple copper foil bus bars. The innovation looks brilliant actually, vs the previous “slapped on” Maxon solar tiles.

The unusual thickness though of this new solar roof panel, seems a little disconcerting to me. With the thick edges, it looks non flushed on top of the composite roof shell and “unfinished” like in appearance. Did anyone else noticed that?

I wonder if the added thickness/elevated front “lip” of this revised solar roof panel, would cause some drag, on the top edge of the glass windshield? Can it also cause added wind noise, while driving in a pretty good clip?

I hope someone could post here a pic, showing the top front facing edge of the revised Gamma solar roof panel and the windshield..to know what I am talking about.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

September 11, 2022 at 3:01 pm

James, since one of the most important and basic design items of Aptera is aerodynamics, I will expect the finished products transition from windshield to roof to solar will be extremely smooth. It has been noted that there should be negligible wind noise generated by the vehicle.

• James Gatan

September 11, 2022 at 3:21 pm

Yes, Oz. I do get the streamlined aerodynamic mantra of our Aptera early on. I was just taken aback, for this to appear still, as an “overlooked” detail, in a much anticipated and highly publicized release of this “nearing production” Gamma unit. As if this aspect, went one step back to Beta (or two, to Alpha). The previous iteration of the solar roof (non functional?), is more integrated and flushed on the roof shell. I hope the Aptera solar panel team could reproduce that smooth finish, on the succeeding Delta versions.

• OZ (It’s OZ, Just OZ)

September 11, 2022 at 3:26 pm

Agreed. I try to never expect too much from any of the events/reveals, the proof will be in the production intent vehicles. I fully expected, that as CA mentioned at the factory tour, that they were working on the vehicle up to the last minute. In all likelihood if there had not been this showcase, Gamma would have still been a month or two off.

• Norman Roberts

September 12, 2022 at 10:11 am

I was at the show and the roof panel fitment was crude. Edges were covered in electrical tape to hide the raw edges of the panel. Also you could see chipping around the cutouts for the door hinges.

I think they will make a slight recess in the roof so solar panel can set slightly below flush and seal edges with a windshield type sealant.

• David Marlow

September 11, 2022 at 3:03 pm

I noticed that front edge as well and I wondered. Then I saw the factory video where Chris mentioned that it was only installed and tested a few days ago, with a strong statement on the replaceability of the panels.

The contract for the solar will be very important for Aptera as well as for the supplier that is chosen.

Obviously, Aptera is using great care in making this choice, as the solar, along with the very efficient shape and over all design, are what makes Aptera great.

• Alain Chuzel

September 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm

The only other “outfit” that has successfully made “large area” IBC (Integrated Back Contact) solar cells is Trina Solar but they were nominally 6” by 6” in size. What is on Gamma at Fully Charged is nominally 5” by 5”. I’m all but certain they are still Maxeon/SunPower.

• Sam Adams

September 11, 2022 at 5:57 pm

Chris said the solar panels came from a business just down the street when he was speaking about the roof and dash

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Sam Adams.
    • Alain Chuzel

September 11, 2022 at 6:16 pm

He probably meant the “panels” were made at Aptera’s other facility “down the street” because I believe Aptera mentioned they have another facility more or less dedicated to solar production.

• Sam Adams

September 11, 2022 at 6:41 pm

Yeah, that must’ve been it.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

September 12, 2022 at 10:38 am

The original solar cells were designed and built in house. Aptera applied for patents on several of their designs. At the time Aptera needed a higher level of reliability than what was available. Since that time, it is possible they found some one to build the solar panels to Aptera’s specification.

• Alain Chuzel

September 12, 2022 at 7:38 pm

The CELLS were not designed and built in house. The panels (aka modules) were and, I believe, still are.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now